GPUs Recommended For 21:9 Gaming?

Phillyphries
Go to solution Solved by nhatduy1611,

Oh I see! 

Also, is there a timeframe for the new AMD cards to release? Kind of wondering if waiting would be a good option

Around february and march most likely but if you already have a 290 i doubt that the any of the new gpu from the 300 series will give you a worthwhile upgrade. If i were you i will just get a 290 and be happy for now 

Well I'm not really an expert with GPUs by any means, but those 21:9 monitors are looking pretty attractive. But right now I'm barely getting by on my gaming rig using a HD 6870 at 1680x1050.

So, that would mean a GPU upgrade is due. What would you guys recommend? I was looking at the R9 285, but not too sure.

I play fairly intensive games, such as Rome 2 TW, Shogun 2 TW, etc. Probably the most intense game I touch on my library to be quite honest.

(Don't care if its AMD or Nvidia, just recommend a good card at a reasonable price, not looking to spend too much.)

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

with the recent price drop of the 290/X

it might be a good choice to pick the R9 290/X

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I'd say the 285 would be a good choice

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

If you can pick up an R9 290, it would give you a very nice experience. If you can't, then the 285 would do fine as well

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

R9 290 Windforce - $225 after rebate. Free ground shipping. Includes AMD Never Settle Space Edition bundle of 3 games.

I'm seeing a lot of R9 290's on sale these days. Is there something going on with the card? Heat issues to be aware of?

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I'm seeing a lot of R9 290's on sale these days. Is there something going on with the card? Heat issues to be aware of?

The price has gone down because of the new 900 series by nvidia . The windforce 290 will be much cooler then a reference 290 so no need to worry.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

The price has gone down because of the new 900 series by nvidia . The windforce 290 will be much cooler then a reference 290 so no need to worry.

Oh I see! 

Also, is there a timeframe for the new AMD cards to release? Kind of wondering if waiting would be a good option

If the games you play Support crossfire, get 2 R9 285s, if your budget lets you.

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

Oh I see! 

Around february and march most likely but if you already have a 290 i doubt that the any of the new gpu from the 300 series will give you a worthwhile upgrade. If i were you i will just get a 290 and be happy for now 

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Well I'm not really an expert with GPUs by any means, but those 21:9 monitors are looking pretty attractive. But right now I'm barely getting by on my gaming rig using a HD 6870 at 1680x1050.

So, that would mean a GPU upgrade is due. What would you guys recommend? I was looking at the R9 285, but not too sure.

I play fairly intensive games, such as Rome 2 TW, Shogun 2 TW, etc. Probably the most intense game I touch on my library to be quite honest.

(Don't care if its AMD or Nvidia, just recommend a good card at a reasonable price, not looking to spend too much.)

I'm currently rocking the LG 34um95-p with the HD 7970. It doesn't do bad, but it's not great. You certainly cannot max out AAA titles with it. I'll be upgrading to a hydrocopper 980 in a couple days. If you want I can benchmark a couple games on the 7970, so you can get an idea of what to expect with a cheaper video card.

Main System: [Windows 10 Pro] [Core i7 5960x] [Asus Rampage V Extreme] [32GB 2400mhz G.Skill Value] [Corsair AX1200] [RXT 2080 Super] [Corsair H100i] [Thermaltake Core P3]

@awettree that would be awesome if you could!

I would grab a GTX 970 and OC it.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Thanks to everyone who recommended me some cards,

I can confirm that I have found a great deal on a R9 290 from XFX on newegg for ~$269.99 USD. Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone who recommended me some cards,

I can confirm that I have found a great deal on a R9 290 from XFX on newegg for ~$269.99 USD. Thanks again.

Congrats man, that card will not let you down.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Congrats man, that card will not let you down.

Thanks, it should be here in about 4-7 business days. I'm excited haha  :)