Planning a PC case/desk, Would like some input

HecK

I have drawn up this desk with the idea that kept me awake for 3hrs one night with it looking like a display cabinet with a some selected items laid out but still functioning. 

I would love to build this but money is a problem so I thought just to share my idea anyway and get some feedback on it.

I know of a few iffy points like;
- Need Cables for the PCIe

- Cable length

- cooling

- loss of performance from the GPU

- Cable length (i know I have repeated myself its just that bad)

all the cable management holes will be hiding under the displayed components which are raised 20mm (13/16") to allow airflow under also space for cables.

The dimensions of the top without legs is 2000mm X 800mm X 200mm ( 784764in X 3112in X 778in ). 

The materials I'm thinking of building it out of are Built out of 16mm MDF ( 58in ), Perspex and mesh sheeting that I can't see through but still lets air through.

post-953-0-10370200-1371661672_thumb.png

What it looks like with the top on

post-953-0-60565300-1371661633_thumb.png

Top off with most things labeled

post-953-0-81871400-1371661934_thumb.png

View from the back

post-953-0-32762500-1371662002_thumb.png

Just a Close up

If anyone has any feedback or any more in-depth questions please leave a reply.  :D 

I used Google Sketchup 8 to draw it.

Update:

I got bored so i did some Cable Management and I found a website I can upload 3D models to. it supports iframes but I don't think the forums do I haven't done much with forums.

Seems like some of the fan holes didn't workout but I hope you get the jist of it.

PCcase-desk v1-1 CableMag.dae (click to view in 3D)

placeholder-cf12ddf81452f1ab60c26695a8ee

I know I said earlier that money is a problem but that's because I was thinking of computer components on top but I'd still love this desk without the hardware.

So when things start cooling off at home I'll be building this bad boy with a dream of slowly filling it up.

I would love any information when it comes to making cables especially the PCIe cables or if they are even possible. :huh: :blink: 

P.S. Thx Pruxis for the kind words  :D 

All the cables will have to be custom, which is too much work for me. I applaud you for not being so lazy. It looks good so far, I am excited to see how it turns out.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

I just noticed this is in the wrong section. :wacko: I think it should be in New Builds and Planning. Could a mod move this by any chance Please?  ^_^ I'm Sorry

srsly no mod to move this? and no feedback bar 2 great people?

sigh maybe this build is just too complex for some people to understand. I'm having trouble with the finer details myself.

Tomorrow I'm going to draw mounting and placing ideas I have and hope this thread gets moved.

when i first saw the pics i thought u were making a "modern" snes controller

Snes_control.jpg

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

when i first saw the pics i thought u were making a "modern" snes controller

HAHAHA wow it does too, what does it look like now when you see past the controller?

UPDATE:

- I think I've finished the cable management holes

- Drawn in a plate to mount the PSU onto

- Drawn in all the spacers for the GPUs, Soundcard and MoBO.

- Drawn in an idea on how to secure the PCI cards with recessing a side and having a plate over it (pics should make this clearer)

post-953-0-22581200-1371972126_thumb.png

post-953-0-65488700-1371972148_thumb.png

post-953-0-52977700-1371972168_thumb.png

PCcase-desk v1-2.dae (click to view in 3D)
placeholder-cf12ddf81452f1ab60c26695a8ee

Wait... How are you planning to mount the GPU's? The cooling loop is going to be difficult with the RADs so far away from each other too. What are the general size specs too? Wires if you don't want to make customs you can always just get sleeved extensions

System:

• Sharkoon T9 case
  • i7 - 2600k @ Stock
  • Coolermaster 212 evo
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB
  • Nvidia GTX 780 EVGA Classified edition
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
  • Samsung 840120GB SSD

Steam ID: SILLY-eXyLe

Wait... How are you planning to mount the GPU's? The cooling loop is going to be difficult with the RADs so far away from each other too. What are the general size specs too? Wires if you don't want to make customs you can always just get sleeved extensions

- Its going to Air Cooled just going to use one of the corsair all in 1 CPU water coolers or somthing similar and I've asked in a different post. Is it even possable to get a PCIe x16 and x1 cable?

- The size of the desk in in the 1st post The dimensions of the top without legs is 2000mm X 800mm X 200mm ( 78 47⁄64in X 3 11⁄2in X 7 7⁄8in ).

- Ooo Sleeved extensions is a great idea, Thank you

You can buy sleeved cables, and then sleeved extensions, so you don't have to worry about sleeving the first section of ugly multicolored wires.

Maybe if you kept the labels and drew a box the size of the dimensions of the object that goes there I could understand better the wiring.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

Cool idea ZombieifiedPyro I think the only part of the of the cables are seen is what pops out of the middle that go to the Sound card GPUs and mobo so its doest matter was the 1st foot of cable looks like i think getting some pretty extensions and also it might be cheaper aswell.

i might look more into the cables once i get it built so i can measure straight off the desk.

All the cable management holes will but cut out to suit the components.

I've been looking into new hardware thats come out, and i want a Blue/black colour scheme but all the "gamer" labeled stuff is all read and ASUS has gone to glack and gold >.> but on the other hand buying components is like a year or so away because im in a rough area money until I find a full time job and a stable roof over my head.

Cool idea ZombieifiedPyro I think the only part of the of the cables are seen is what pops out of the middle that go to the Sound card GPUs and mobo so its doest matter was the 1st foot of cable looks like i think getting some pretty extensions and also it might be cheaper aswell.

i might look more into the cables once i get it built so i can measure straight off the desk.

All the cable management holes will but cut out to suit the components.

I've been looking into new hardware thats come out, and i want a Blue/black colour scheme but all the "gamer" labeled stuff is all read and ASUS has gone to glack and gold >.> but on the other hand buying components is like a year or so away because im in a rough area money until I find a full time job and a stable roof over my head.

Sound cards should pull all their power off the motherboard. You could use the corsair GS series for the PSU, it has a blue/black scheme. Then this for the mobo: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4481#ov It is too soon for me to choose a GPU, becuase if you wait long enough then AMD might have fixed the XFire problems. Or, you could go with nvidia, but the mfrs normally don't go crazy with their heatsinks. This card is pretty much as blue as I could find: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161420&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

. Another option is inverting the graphics cards and getting one with a nice blue PCB (The one on the HIS is ugly IMO, it is kinda green) or a blue backplate.

Sound cards should pull all there power off the motherboard. Gigabyte has some nice blue/black stuff.

Some high end soundcards require a 6-pin ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Sound cards should pull all their power off the motherboard. You could use the corsair GS series for the PSU, it has a blue/black scheme. Then this for the mobo: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4481#ov It is too soon for me to choose a GPU, becuase if you wait long enough then AMD might have fixed the XFire problems. Or, you could go with nvidia, but the mfrs normally don't go crazy with their heatsinks. This card is pretty much as blue as I could find: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161420&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

. Another option is inverting the graphics cards and getting one with a nice blue PCB (The one on the HIS is ugly IMO, it is kinda green) or a blue backplate.

That Mobo i was looking at yesterday it looks sick. 

PCB colour isn't that big cos it shouldnt be seen

ill put in some models that other ppl have made so u can get the jist of how things should look.

Some high end soundcards require a 6-pin ;)

i might avoid those sound cards :)

That Mobo i was looking at yesterday it looks sick. 

PCB colour isn't that big cos it shouldnt be seen

ill put in some models that other ppl have made so u can get the jist of how things should look.

You are using a ribbon to connect the GPUs to the mobo right? if it is going to be fan side up, you would need a blue or black heatsink. But, if you invert the card, and put the mobo on the other side of the case, you could get a blue PCB like on the sapphire cards. Probably not worth it, just throwing out ideas.

You are using a ribbon to connect the GPUs to the mobo right? if it is going to be fan side up, you would need a blue or black heatsink. But, if you invert the card, and put the mobo on the other side of the case, you could get a blue PCB like on the sapphire cards. Probably not worth it, just throwing out ideas.

idea are good, thats why I put it on the forum =D

Even if i put the GPU as normal i dont think it would fit, but ya fan side up. Speaking of GPU. I LOVE THE TITEN AND GTX 780 REFERENCE (i think its that >.> with nvidias heatsink and cover disign) HEASTSINK AND COVER!!! but yea if i had a budget 2x 780 would blow it right off the bat. i have by the time im ready to buy components the 760 or something is at a nice price.

You have such a wide space there so it is going to be hard to make it not look empty, which personally I think is the last thing I'd want in a desk build. Side mounting all of the pcie goods is going to be a lot of effort though... Personally I wouldn't bother. Maybe consider like showing off your SSD so one side. Save up and get a 780, it is more than worth it! But how much are you planning on spending? Perspex is a bit too flexible for something like that dont you think?

System:

• Sharkoon T9 case
  • i7 - 2600k @ Stock
  • Coolermaster 212 evo
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB
  • Nvidia GTX 780 EVGA Classified edition
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
  • Samsung 840120GB SSD

Steam ID: SILLY-eXyLe

Update:

Nothing big today just added some models to give everyone a better idea on how it should look.

post-953-0-59753200-1372172876_thumb.png

PCcase-desk v1-2 components.dae (click to view in 3D)

post-953-0-59260500-1372172908_thumb.png

PCcase-desk v1-2 components closed.dae (click to view in 3D)

You have such a wide space there so it is going to be hard to make it not look empty, which personally I think is the last thing I'd want in a desk build. Side mounting all of the pcie goods is going to be a lot of effort though... Personally I wouldn't bother. Maybe consider like showing off your SSD so one side. Save up and get a 780, it is more than worth it! But how much are you planning on spending? Perspex is a bit too flexible for something like that dont you think?

Its meant to look like a  display cabinet and the items inside are normally spread out anyway. When I was putting in the models I noticed a little space perfect for the SSD, Thanks for that idea. Money factor will come into it in months time but the desk itself with no pc parts will be about $100-$150. The Perspex is going to be about 8-10mm thick so it will still be rigid, also there is going to be nothing on it anyway just a viewing window.

Looks good, that helps me a lot with the components in it. You are going to have to spend some time with cable management, I would come up with a way to easily tie down cables. Also, you will need bigger cut-outs for the cables in the two side walls (that seperate M/B from PSU and fans/USB ports from SSD). What is the cutout next to the hard drives for?

Looking great! I'm working on a similar concept for a custom desk, combining wood, anodized aluminum and tempered glass or acrylic for see-through components. This thread will be useful for ideas.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Looks good, that helps me a lot with the components in it. You are going to have to spend some time with cable management, I would come up with a way to easily tie down cables. Also, you will need bigger cut-outs for the cables in the two side walls (that seperate M/B from PSU and fans/USB ports from SSD). What is the cutout next to the hard drives for?

If you have a look underneath the desk you'll see some channels for the cables I was going to make some little channels 5mm away from the edge on the inside to slip in some 1mm or something think sheets of plastic to cover and hold the cables up (like a sliding lid). The little hole between the Mobo and HDD is for the tubes of a corsair H100 or something similar so the rad can reach the fans. I might also add the right dividing wall isnt going to be glued in so i can take out the water cooling unit without breaking it. The little half circle hole is for keyboard and mouse cable.

I need to add 3 more holes, 1 hole under the Mobo for the PCIe cables to loop around to the left instead of looping over the south bridge and SATA ports and 1 under each SLI Connecter. Which I noticed after taking the screenshot.

post-953-0-76427100-1372184074_thumb.png

Underneath

Looking great! I'm working on a similar concept for a custom desk, combining wood, anodized aluminum and tempered glass or acrylic for see-through components. This thread will be useful for ideas.

Thank you, Hopeful we can bounce ideas off each other someday.

Ok, I didn't realize you wanted to do cable management under the desk, in that case the hole will be fine for the tubes of the watercooler, just be sure tos get one with long enough tubes.