Computer won't boot when I install a graphics card

Jack Wignall

I'm looking for some help. I've been running my computer of intel intergrated graphics for a little while and just recieved my EVGA 660ti FTW SIG2. When I plug the card in the computer will not boot after pressing the on button. I've got an Asus GTX560ti that I plugged in to see if that made any difference but no I had the same issue. This card also shows 2 green lights to tell you that it is correctly connected to the PSU which were on. I also hear the click of the PSU when I press the on button. When I take the card out and connect the display to the motherboard it will run of intergrated with no issue.

Specs

- Samsung 830 boot SSD

- Samsung 840 storage SSD

- Asrock Z77e-itx motherboard

- Corsair AX650w PSU

- Intel 3570k processor

- Samsung 2x4gb green RAM

I believe it is most likely a setting in the BIOS? Is there anyone that can help me this is issue? Maybe somebody more experienced with the Asrock BIOS?

Its not AsRock's fault. It just happens. Don't bother reinstalling HD4k drivers after you've upgraded your video. GL

Thanks for the response. I uninstalled the Intel HD4000 graphics from the device manager rebooted and still no signal. I can hear the system boot into windows through the speakers but still no display.

What type of connection are you using? DVI, HDMI, Displayport?

HDMI? You have sound so that is a start. Try DVI. No need to reboot, just swap cables.

Tried both DVI and HDMI. I recently replaced this card thinking it was faulty. So with another new one I think its safe to say it isn't the card at fault.

If that doesn't work. restore your system back to before you remove the driver and remove it through control panel. Not sure if you can though. I haven't used HD4K since I had this problem, and I installed my GPU driver before HD4K, posted, but no display, through any port.

Aw.. Bro, I would re install windows. But I'm not telling you to do that. I hope you figure it out.

Have you tried booting it up with the display adapter plugged into the onboard, and then switching it onto the graphics card while remaining booted?

Was just about to give that a go Dim, thanks I will keep you guys posted. Really don't want to fresh install windows!

Was just about to give that a go Dim' date=' thanks I will keep you guys posted. Really don't want to fresh install windows![/quote']

If that doesn't work, you may have a faulty PCIE lane. Do you have another PCie device you could use to test the lane to ensure it works?:)

Unfortunitely I'm using a mini-itx board atm which only has 1 lane. But like Dim suggetsed I've set onboard as primary graphics on the BIOS and booted in with the display plugged into the mobo and the graphics card plugged in. I decided I'd try to install the Nvidia drivers before switching to gpu which is what I'm currently doing now! It looks promising!

Unfortunitely I'm using a mini-itx board atm which only has 1 lane. But like Dim suggetsed I've set onboard as primary graphics on the BIOS and booted in with the display plugged into the mobo and the graphics card plugged in. I decided I'd try to install the Nvidia drivers before switching to gpu which is what I'm currently doing now! It looks promising!
If this doesn't work, let me know -- the only other thing I can think of is that the PCIe slot is dead.

I can open up my BIOS (it's ASRock Z77) and see where the PCIe section is and what it should say... hopefully it just works :P

Yeah sorry, didn't look up your motherboard, apologies. Sounds promising indeed, hopefully it works for you :D

Okay, so if it doesn't work here's what you can do:

Open BIOS on boot

Go to Advanced

Go to North Bridge Advanced

And see what the default GPU configuration is -- it should be set to PCI Express

I'm basing this on my personal mobo, yours might be slightly different.

Best of luck!

My response is on page 2 :)

I managed to get the nvidia drivers installed which recognised my card, I uninstalled the intel 4000HD graphics, went into BIOS and switched primary graphics to PCI Express, the system browser shows that the PCI Express slot is occupied anddd... still no display!

Must be a connection/cable problem. This is going to sound to dumb, but it's worked for me before. Have you tried "wiggling" the cable ( HDMI / DVI) at both terminals for monitor and card.

If that doesn't work, then I'm seriously lost, sorry. :(

I managed to get the nvidia drivers installed which recognised my card' date=' I uninstalled the intel 4000HD graphics, went into BIOS and switched primary graphics to PCI Express, the system browser shows that the PCI Express slot is occupied anddd... still no display![/quote']

Very troubling. Mod Kilmer suggests perhaps running GPU-Z on your OS with the 660 Ti plugged in running off your integrated graphics?

http://download.cnet.com/GPU-Z/3000-2094_4-10788513.html

Run GPU-z and see if it detects the card. If not then you can narrow it down to the lane or the card

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

GPU-z does allow me to select the gtx660ti..

100% has to be a software issue.

We're stumped as to how this could be fixed... I think you may need to do a clean install.

That still doesn't make sense. I'm sorry, Jack, I'm out of ideas :(

Turn pc completely off, remove CMOS battery for 20 seconds then put back in and try. Then if that doesn't work try a reinstall of windows.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Okay thanks for the help guys. Going to take a break for a while as I feel like I'm in a F1 pit stop crew with the amount of times I've installed and uninstalled the card haha!