Weird Lockups

So I've been having weird and random PC lockups. I want to keep this short though. My PC works if its hot. Like right after I'm done gaming or during. If I start up my PC and sit on Steam or browse the web. it locks up. If I play a game, get it hot and then browse the web, it's fine. Is there any parts of a PC that may be faulty and cause this?

Before anyone asks, OP please include this - 

• CPU: i7 4790k
  • Motherboard
    ASRock z97 Extreme 4
  • RAM
    8GB DDR3 G-Skill Ares
  • GPU
    2x r9 270X 4GB's
  • Case
    NZXT 410 Phantom
  • Storage
    1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD + 120GB PNY SSD
  • PSU
    LEPA 800W BRONZE
  • Display(s)
    24" ASUS 1080p 60HZ
  • Cooling
    2 Corsair Blue LED case fans, 3 NZXT stock case fans, Cooler Master 212 Evo CPU cooler
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
  • Mouse
    Steel Series Rival
  •  
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium
  •  
  •  

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

your pc is hot? hehehehehhehehehehe 

I would think it´s the ram, chipset or the 2x270X´s

Remove the second 270X and test.

Set your cpu speed to stock.

The ram speed should be used as 1333mhz or 1600mhz if you don´t plan to overclock (if factory lower mhz as I mentioned it´s also fine)

Test a different keyboard... a keyboard that uses the normal amount of power.

your pc is hot? hehehehehhehehehehe 

I would think it´s the ram, chipset or the 2x270X´s

Remove the second 270X and test.

Set your cpu speed to stock.

The ram speed should be used as 1333mhz or 1600mhz if you don´t plan to overclock (if factory lower mhz as I mentioned it´s also fine)

Test a different keyboard... a keyboard that uses the normal amount of power.

no its not hot. I have tried all of this. My PC locks up when it's cold. if i game on it and get it hot, it doesnt. this is the weird part. 

no its not hot. I have tried all of this. My PC locks up when it's cold. if i game on it and get it hot, it doesnt. this is the weird part. 

Do you have software that controls your (case and cpu) fans speed? Then please remove the software.

Set the fans speed (cpu, case) on 100% in the bios and test again.

I hope this fixes your problem, if not, you´ll have to wait for somebody else to help you.

Do you have software that controls your (case and cpu) fans speed? Then please remove the software.

Set the fans speed (cpu, case) on 100% in the bios and test again.

I hope this fixes your problem, if not, you´ll have to wait for somebody else to help you.

my fans are controlled by my case. all except for my CPU fan of course

my fans are controlled by my case. all except for my CPU fan of course

Could you monitor your temps if possible? With HWMonitor for example?

CPU:Intel I7-6700k , CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, Ram: Kingston 2666 Mhz 16GB, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0, PSU: Corsair AXi 860W, HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1x2TB, WD Green 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Samsung 1TB, SSD Samsung 840 120GB (OS DRIVE), SSD Samsung 840 250GB, Case: Enermax Fulmo GT.

Could you monitor your temps if possible? With HWMonitor for example?

temps are good. only locks up when NOT hot remember that . when im not gaming it is around 28*C

temps are good. only locks up when NOT hot remember that . when im not gaming it is around 28*C

To me this sounds like a ULPS issue. Basically one of the 2 graphics cards turns off to save power. I would reccomend trying that first. It may just be that after a gaming session, the second card is still powered on, and may have nothing to do with temperature

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1904869/disable-ulps-amd-crossfire-setups.html

Here's a TH link that can show you how.

Ah sorry misread that part, it was 4 am for me when I replied.

CPU:Intel I7-6700k , CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, Ram: Kingston 2666 Mhz 16GB, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0, PSU: Corsair AXi 860W, HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1x2TB, WD Green 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Samsung 1TB, SSD Samsung 840 120GB (OS DRIVE), SSD Samsung 840 250GB, Case: Enermax Fulmo GT.

To me this sounds like a ULPS issue. Basically one of the 2 graphics cards turns off to save power. I would reccomend trying that first. It may just be that after a gaming session, the second card is still powered on, and may have nothing to do with temperature

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1904869/disable-ulps-amd-crossfire-setups.html

Here's a TH link that can show you how.

this started happening well before i added the second card, which i should not have added knowing my Pc wasnt fully working

this started happening well before i added the second card, which i should not have added knowing my Pc wasnt fully working

Hmm. Well if not ULPS specifically, this sounds like some sort of power saving issue. Heat generally makes computer components run worse, so the heat may not be a factor as much as the power draw is. Here are some things to look at:

1. Motherboard load-line calibration: if this is set to something non-standard, change it back to standard/auto. If this is set to auto, change it to medium/level 6 (not sure which setting your motherboard has, change it to something in the middle ground)
  2. Adaptive voltage: Intel processors have adaptive voltage capabilities, which lower voltage when the processor doesn't need it. I would manually change the voltage to stock, as well as change the CPU multiplier back to stock if you've done some overclocking.
  3. PCI-E power savings: I'm also not sure if your motherboard has this, but it's worth a quick check. Make sure this is off, or set to "auto"
  4. XMP profiles: Kind of a long shot, but disabling XMP may prevent sudden system shutdowns from failing RAM modules.
  5. Windows power-savings: Make sure your computer's power plan is set to "high performance". not likely the cause, but worth a shot.

In addition to the power savings-side of things, I would test your power supply for any problems. If you don't have a tester handy, most computer stores do. It's worth making sure it's working anyway. Let me know if any of this helps!

Hmm. Well if not ULPS specifically, this sounds like some sort of power saving issue. Heat generally makes computer components run worse, so the heat may not be a factor as much as the power draw is. Here are some things to look at:

1. Motherboard load-line calibration: if this is set to something non-standard, change it back to standard/auto. If this is set to auto, change it to medium/level 6 (not sure which setting your motherboard has, change it to something in the middle ground)
  2. Adaptive voltage: Intel processors have adaptive voltage capabilities, which lower voltage when the processor doesn't need it. I would manually change the voltage to stock, as well as change the CPU multiplier back to stock if you've done some overclocking.
  3. PCI-E power savings: I'm also not sure if your motherboard has this, but it's worth a quick check. Make sure this is off, or set to "auto"
  4. XMP profiles: Kind of a long shot, but disabling XMP may prevent sudden system shutdowns from failing RAM modules.
  5. Windows power-savings: Make sure your computer's power plan is set to "high performance". not likely the cause, but worth a shot.

In addition to the power savings-side of things, I would test your power supply for any problems. If you don't have a tester handy, most computer stores do. It's worth making sure it's working anyway. Let me know if any of this helps!

power supply is fine because ive used 3 different ones. CPU is stock and everything is standard, i never touched any of that

power supply is fine because ive used 3 different ones. CPU is stock and everything is standard, i never touched any of that

If you've never altered any of those settings, I would start at #5 and work backwards.

If you've never altered any of those settings, I would start at #5 and work backwards.

kk, i know that it is always on default

okay so I have a small space heater next to my pc. when I am not gaming, I turn it on to keep my PC warm....never locks up with tthe heater on it. I have confirmed that is is in fact a heat issue...but a lack of heat issue? Some part in my PC is faulty im guessing, I know the PSU and GPU's are fine because I have tested them time and time again. Any other suggestions?

Try to clean the gpu golden contacts that touch the pcie slot (dry paper towel)

It would be worth it to test it with a different mainboard (or different pci express slot, if your mainboard has the option)

Try to clean the gpu golden contacts that touch the pcie slot (dry paper towel)

It would be worth it to test it with a different mainboard (or different pci express slot, if your mainboard has the option)

now how does heateroony effect that kind sir?

now how does heateroony effect that kind sir?

The only thing that I could think of in the whole iluminati universum is, expansion of metal when heated up.

Same as car engines.

It could be that it looses contact if cold or something like that. But I don´t think thats the cause

installing windows on a new boot drive, I was told by my friend's dad who helped me build it that it sounds like it is a boot drive issue. he gave me an older 750GB HDD, 

The new hard drive did not solve the lock ups, starting to think that is is a motherboard issue. after realizing that the new HDD did not solve the problems. I then went and ruled out a bad PCI-E slot by unplugging my GPU from the top slot and putting it in the bottom. Still locked up. I am testing RAM now by using one stick then the other