2500K Vs 3570K

Hello Linus Tech Tips Forum! I am trying to finalize my PC build and I am having trouble deciding the CPU. I Plan using my system mostly for a gaming rig and some slight video editing, but I am a complete overclocking noob and I would really like to get into overclocking. I see the 1155 platform as a good starting point. So my question is, which should I choose, the 2500k or the 3570k? I hear the 2500k runs cooler compared to the 3570k when overclocking, (I plan to hit 4.0 ghz to 4.3 ghz) but that's about the only difference I know between the two besides the 3570k having about a 10% performance increase. So is it worth it to overclock the 2500k at 4.3 ghz and maintain a cooler temp? In addition I plan on using the Evo 212 like every one and there grandmas for cooling. If somebody can recommend a better cooler in the 50 USD price range it would be much appreciated. For the motherboard i plan on using a AsRock Z77 Extreme 4, and I am unsure if that board is compatible with a 2500k. Thank you very much for your time and I hope to hear from your reply's soon.

[h=1][/h]

i would go with the 3570k and if u want a better cooler for overclocking i would go for the corsair h100 h100i or even a h80 thay make some of the best coolers and for the motherbord i would look more into the msi mpower or something in the msi or asus and if u went with a msi bord u have a better luck not geting a doa bord

I believe (not positive) the 3570K runs hotter, but also faster clock-for-clock. Both are compatible with that motherboard. The Hyper 212 Evo should easily give you 4.2 GHz, 4.4 if you raise the voltage a teeny bit.

I would go for the 3570K unless you can get the 2500K for substantially cheaper (like $40 cheaper).

Edit: I have a 3570K with that motherboard. I can confirm that in my experience it does fine. I have it stable at 4.2 GHz with a similar cooler without having raised the voltage.

i would go with the 3570k and if u want a better cooler for overclocking i would go for the corsair h100 h100i or even a h80 thay make some of the best coolers and for the motherbord i would look more into the msi mpower or something in the msi or asus and if u went with a msi bord u have a better luck not geting a doa bord
Dude, he said 50... h100/100i r 90-110. Water cooling is nice but can get spendy. Water cooling also helps since u don't have to worry to much about ram heat sink clearence. If u have a jam packed case then its nice too. Since ur in the 50 range u can find some nice air cooling heat sinks but u have to look at ur case too. Cm hyper 212 is really nice for the price. I would stick with that myself. I also had a nzxt havik 140 which kept my CPU nice and cool and I liked it. Its a bigger heat sink with 140mm fans. Also, it runs around 60 which is a little over ur price range. It does have a little brother of 120mm but I have not used it.

i side the corsair ones cuz i know thay are good coolers ok dudeeee

Just like Dim I would see which one has a better price... The performance for both CPU's are good for gaming.. The ivy bridge (3570k) runs a little hotter but should be THAT much of a problem with good cooling... I personally also have the Hyper 212 EVO cooler and its keeping my FX CPU very cool, I am happy with it :-)!! (Also clocked @ 4Ghz+) No need to look for other coolers if your budget is around $40 - $50,-.

Just go for the best deal you can find, if the difference is little, go with the newest, the 3570K its a little faster (its newer, duh :D)

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

From what I see the 2500k is only around 10 bucks cheaper. It seems like I'm probably going for the 3570k. Running at 4.2 without a voltage increase interests me greatly, if my certain chip can do it. Thanks guys for your help!

well , with nothing tweaked the 3570 k should run cooler (lower tdp) , so the difference in terms of heat is when you are trying to overclock beyond 4.6ghz at more than 1.35volts. but the 3570k is better than the 2500k by about 10-15 percent due to the better IPC . so to equal a 3570k at like 4.6 you would need a 2500k at 4.8. personally i would get the cheaper one if the difference is more than 20$.

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Have you considered 2600K?? Can be had for less than $300 now..

I think you will be more than happy with 2500k :) but if you want IB insted of SB, go for 3570k... I see now reason whatsoever... :/

well , with nothing tweaked the 3570 k should run cooler (lower tdp) , so the difference in terms of heat is when you are trying to overclock beyond 4.6ghz at more than 1.35volts. but the 3570k is better than the 2500k by about 10-15 percent due to the better IPC . so to equal a 3570k at like 4.6 you would need a 2500k at 4.8. personally i would get the cheaper one if the difference is more than 20$.
+1

However, in my country they cost the same. In that case i think it is better to get a 3570K.

Maybe there are some other factors you might want to keep in mind.

For example, Ivy Bridge brings along support for PCIe 3.0 .

Depending on what kind of setup you will be using, this can result in a little extra performance in games. However, i don't think you will see huge differences (maybe 5-10% at most).

Both will easily hit 4.3GHz, but Ivy Bridge will always be faster at the same clock speed.

I know it does run a bit hotter, but it's nothing a $50 cooler can't handle.

If they cost the same, i would definitely go for a 3570K (bought one myself last week). I have been comparing the 2500K, 2700K and 3570K for like 3 weeks.

In the end, the 3570K seemed like the best choice after all.

Finally, the Asrock board should be fine for whatever choice you make. Apparently, Asrock is even a part of Asus :D.

I'm using an Asrock board in my HTPC (socket 1155), and it just does what it's supposed to do without any issues.

It's unnecessary to go for something expensive like the MSI Mpower, which was suggested by someone earlier in this thread.

You might want to look into something like the Gigabyte Z77X-d3h board. I'm very impressed with it. I think it's a very nice board for its price class.

if you are going to be using PCIe gen 3 then get the 3570k because at 4.3GHz both have the same thermal performance. it only matter if you are going to b taking it up to more than 4.5 Ghz. then a CM hyper 212 will not be enough for a 3570k. you will need either higher end air cooler or a high end liquid cooler. anything lower than H60 is not any better than a air cooler. its just for looks. get a H80 or H100 (see case compatibility)

so in the end it depends on what your preferences are... the 2500k is still a valid option. unless you are going to be running more than 2 graphics cards, PCIe gen 3 does not make a difference at all.

in my opinion get the 2500k and a Z77 motherboard and a good cooler and you will be good.

if you are not going to be doing a lot of rendering and stuff that you need a lot of threads you dont even need a 2600k or a 2700k

so Just get the 2500K if is is cheaper, or the 3570k if there is no big difference. but also keep in mind that you will need a better cooling solution if you are even thinking about overclocking it more than 4.2 Ghz.

If you can get the 2500K for a considerable amount cheaper then get it because there really isn't that much performance gain from the 3570K vs 2500K. Ivy Bridge runs hotter than Sandy Bridge but you can fix that with de-lidding the CPU (will void warranty and can be tricky) but also has a higher clock for clock speed. The Sandy Bridge is still a great option to go with especially if you want a good CPU and if you're on a budget and can pick it up for a decent amount cheaper though generally you'll find both for the same price, if this is the case then grab the 3570K as it's free performance gain.

If you do go with the 2500K rather than the 3570K and you're worried about it not support PCI-E 3.0, don't worry because graphic cards don't utilize all of PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth yet.

The ASRock motherboard is a great choice for a low cost and will support SLI/CrossFireX if you needed it in the future, it will work for both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPU's.

For the cooler, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is great, you should be able to reach that overclock no bother with it be it with a 3570K or 2500K obviously it depends on how good of a chip you get but generally you can easily reach that with no bother. Though if you are wanting to spend around $50-$60 I would recommend an NZXT Havik 140, it's a really good CPU cooler for a fair price, you should be able to get a nice overclock with it.

If you want to hit very high overclocks, go with a Sandy Bridge chip or delid an Ivy Bridge chip; if you don't really want to put a lot of effort into overclocking, just go with Ivy.

In terms of overclocked performance Sandy Bridge actually does better than Ivy (varies chip to chip) and delidded Ivy beats everything.

If you have or want a WC system Sandy Bridge or delidded Ivy Bridge are probably the way to go, due to their greater thermal transfer.

If you want 3+ graphics cards, go with Ivy Bridge or Sandy and a motherboard with a PLX switch in direct connect or single lane bypass.

Z68 and P67 motherboards are also really cheap right now, so that's definitely a benefit.

If you want to hit very high overclocks, go with a Sandy Bridge chip or delid an Ivy Bridge chip; if you don't really want to put a lot of effort into overclocking, just go with Ivy.

In terms of overclocked performance Sandy Bridge actually does better than Ivy (varies chip to chip) and delidded Ivy beats everything.

If you have or want a WC system Sandy Bridge or delidded Ivy Bridge are probably the way to go, due to their greater thermal transfer.

If you want 3+ graphics cards, go with Ivy Bridge or Sandy and a motherboard with a PLX switch in direct connect or single lane bypass.

Z68 and P67 motherboards are also really cheap right now, so that's definitely a benefit.

I WOULD GO WITH 2500K GOT ONE MY SELF@4.3 GHZ ITS REALLY FAST

yeh 2500K user here to, dont even consider needing an upgrade for quite some time.

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

I bought my 3570k at Microcenter for $169 (woop) and I have a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer (thin 120mm rad) and the temperatures barely reach 50 degrees under prime95 at 4.0 ghz

RIP in pepperonis m8s

There will be almost no difference in cpu performance but the 3570k is about 10% faster in benchmarks. The 2500k will OC more as it has bigger transistors and if you like over clocking it is for you. The 3570 has a much faster igpu and uses much less power, so it is great for a cool and quiet build. If you can find a good deal on the 2500k go for it. You probably won't notice the difference between the two so it really doesn't matter.