Windows 8 and Proxy servers

Cruiseshipfan

After recently getting a laptop running windows 8 I have found that windows 8 does not make using proxy servers easy. When I am at my University, I need to connect through a proxy server, but ever since switching to windows 8, I have run into a world of issues. Firstly there is the issue of the proxy server setting being in use when I am at home. For example, I will be starting up a program that requires the internet and a popup will appear asking me to sign into the server, but I am at home so it becomes a pain, as I don't want to change settings every day. Finally, and most important is the issues with windows 8 and the proxy server, it means I cannot connect. I know you cannot help with that one though. 

So what I am asking is there anyway to set proxy setting for one network so they are not all affected.

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

One thing i did when at college was to use Firefox as my "secure browser" and bind that to a local socks5 proxy over ssh to my home network and only use Firefox when at college. alternatively you could create a batch file that you can run that changes the settings?. maybe something like this, you could have it determine the location by IP adress range.

@Echo off

echo 1.Uni

echo 2. Home

set /p location="Location 1 or 2?"

if %location% == 1 ( GOTO UNI ) ELSE ( GOTO HOME )

:UNI

echo At Uni

netsh winhttp set proxy myproxy

pause

GOTO END

:HOME

echo at home

netsh winhttp reset proxy

pause

:END

The problem with this though is i think it is only for HTTP applications so other programs may not work.

I have found out that this is caused by an issue in Windows 8 (the Uni IT guys said this). It seems to happen in some devices but not others. I will have to wait 2 months before I go back to Uni now as the semester just finished. So when I get back I will just start playing around during a break and see if I can fix it some how. If not Windows 8 has more issues then I thought. 

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I use a program called ultrasurf. It is great and makes my computer in beverly hills for some reason but it works well. It was originally made for Chinese people to use. It was made to get round the great Firewall of China basically. Some firewall that can be got round with a bit of software. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"