Need Help with 290x

Adgj533

Hey guys im new here, i recently bought a new pc from cyberpower and i originally put in 2 gtx 760 to run in SLI mode. When i got the pc i realized my mobo z97 k doesnt support SLi, so im gonna send 2 graphics card back and try to buy new AMD one. is my motherboard good enough to get a 290x? or even a 280x. I selected the mobo originally bc i thought it would run both SLI and crossfire. What should I do please help me. Also i have i7 4790k cpu. is there gonna be compatiblity issue if i use an AMD graphics card? Originially I thought of running SLI or Crossfire but now im leaning towards just one powerful card. I realized my mobo is not good. It was a blackfriday deal i kinda picked it up quick, didnt do much research.

It should be fine, as long as you have 2 PCI-E slots for Crossfire.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Do you have a link to a link to the mobo or the site that you bought it from that could help determine the problem

a z97 mainboard with no sli support? thats some rare stuff.

Nvidia wants to see some money for the SLI license on your mainboard and without it won´t work #whattashame

You could easily send back your mainboard and "upgrade" it for 10$ to be sli ready.

-Yes it´ll run a 290x

yeah i know guys thats what i was thinking, its a new technology so i thought it had both SLI and crossfire thats why i didnt pay much attention to it. I do hav 4 PCI slots but i have a network card and a sound card. does those need to be run at x4? bc theres an option in bios so if i run 2 PCI in x2 mode i can run other 2 in x4 mode.

heres the link to my mobo http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97K/

im also thinking i dont want crossfire and im gonna buy a 280x or 290x so that its better than my  previous sli gtx 760

yeah i know guys thats what i was thinking, its a new technology so i thought it had both SLI and crossfire thats why i didnt pay much attention to it. I do hav 4 PCI slots but i have a network card and a sound card. does those need to be run at x4? bc theres an option in bios so if i run 2 PCI in x2 mode i can run other 2 in x4 mode.

heres the link to my mobo http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97K/

im also thinking i dont want crossfire and im gonna buy a 280x or 290x so that its better than my  previous sli gtx 760

I think they only need 1x

oh ok still im gonna only need one PCI slots for the 290x im gonna only buy one. I alreaddy spent a lot of money on this pc im not going crossfire. And yea i can send it back to get it replaced but no guarentee it will come back in good shape, now its working fine all the parts and i like the pc,
ALso is there guide somewhere on how i can remove the gtx 760 to send them? i never built a gaming pc. I know the specs but I never go into hardware a lot. Im kinda worried that after i buy the 290x i may not be able to put it back in

btw i appreciate all the help and the quick reply

oh ok still im gonna only need one PCI slots for the 290x im gonna only buy one. I alreaddy spent a lot of money on this pc im not going crossfire. And yea i can send it back to get it replaced but no guarentee it will come back in good shape, now its working fine all the parts and i like the pc,

ALso is there guide somewhere on how i can remove the gtx 760 to send them? i never built a gaming pc. I know the specs but I never go into hardware a lot. Im kinda worried that after i buy the 290x i may not be able to put it back in

Always touch something grounded before you start to work with electronics (metal door frame etc), don´t work on a carpet.

Cables from the powersuppy are just plug n´ play, hard to fail. Every connector got it´s unique shape.

Btw: With "upgrade" I meant a different mainboard with sli support. If these mainboards are not meant to be sli´d, the manufacturers save money and are saving up on the 8x(needed for sli) lanes on the second pcie brigde.

Crossfire needs only 4x on the second pcie bridge. 

We'll,do you have extensive case cooling? A powerful PSU? A lot of connectors.

A 290x well is an AMD Flagship, enthusiast grade so the requirements are pretty high unless you get a lightning or a vapor x.

Do not buy the stock version of the 290x. You need intensive cooling and power to keep that bad boy

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Here is a crazy deal on an R9 290x

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P4_14-125-499-_-12182014

Don't even think of ordering this without at least a high quality 650W PSU though, since you're overclocking your i7. This specific card, by itself, tops out at 399W when gaming according to a Tom's Hardware benchmark (and most R9 290x's spike at ~400W). And yeah, better have good airflow and lots of GPU clearance for this card too. Not a big deal to plan for this with a new build, but for a prebuilt the PSU, the airflow, and the graphics card clearance are probably all going to be problems. You may be better off with the GTX 970. It's a better card anyways for 1080p.

my case is a titan case its large and full tower. i have 750 watts modular power supply. my case could fit 2 gtx 760 cards, so will that fit one 290x? also currently i have 4 sets on 6 pin connectors from both my 760 and 290x needs 8 pin and 6 pin. what do i do for that?

for cooling my case is all air cooled, i got 2 120mm fan on top one 140 mm rear and one 120mm on cpu cooler, i can always add one more fan i think in the front lots of space left. and i dont plan to overclock this card or my i7 running stock for now

i was looking at gigabyte version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125499&cm_re=r9_290x-_-14-125-499-_-Product

my case is a titan case its large and full tower. i have 750 watts modular power supply. my case could fit 2 gtx 760 cards, so will that fit one 290x? also currently i have 4 sets on 6 pin connectors from both my 760 and 290x needs 8 pin and 6 pin. what do i do for that?

for cooling my case is all air cooled, i got 2 120mm fan on top one 140 mm rear and one 120mm on cpu cooler, i can always add one more fan i think in the front lots of space left. and i dont plan to overclock this card or my i7 running stock for now

i was looking at gigabyte version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125499&cm_re=r9_290x-_-14-125-499-_-Product

that card is ok

the Sapphire Tri-X or PowerColor PCS+ run quieter at the same fan speed

most 290X are 2.5 to 3 slots wide

your dual 760 takes up to 4 to 5 slots

check the max GPU length you can fit

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Are you gaming in 1440p? If you're gaming in 1080p I wouldn't buy an R9 290x other than one deeply discounted like that Gigabyte R9 290x (and that sale is over in a little more than an hour). Otherwise, you're talking no better than $315 after rebate, and for that price you might as well spend $15 more and get the GTX 970, if only to get Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed Unity, or The Crew as the free throw-in game instead of a bunch of old games in the AMD bundle. But the 290x is freaking awesome for 1440p and 4k (not that the 970 is a slouch at those resolutions though). Can you do crossfire at x8 PCIE on that board?

I have to agree, the Nvidia GTX 970 would be the better option, lower power usage, and lower temperatures=lower noise

I have to agree, the Nvidia GTX 970 would be the better option, lower power usage, and lower temperatures=lower noise

I think the 970 is better mostly because of price and free game selection. Now the R9 290 is selling at incredible prices regularly, but for instance the Tri-X R9 290x is $360 after a $20 rebate at newegg. I mean you can get the Gigabyte Gaming GTX 970 for that price and say to hell with the rebates.

Are you gaming in 1440p? If you're gaming in 1080p I wouldn't buy an R9 290x other than one deeply discounted like that Gigabyte R9 290x (and that sale is over in a little more than an hour). Otherwise, you're talking no better than $315 after rebate, and for that price you might as well spend $15 more and get the GTX 970, if only to get Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed Unity, or The Crew as the free throw-in game instead of a bunch of old games in the AMD bundle. But the 290x is freaking awesome for 1440p and 4k (not that the 970 is a slouch at those resolutions though). Can you do crossfire at x8 PCIE on that board?

idk if i can do crossfire at x8, i think its x4 actually. so according to you guys gtx 970 is my best options huh, i guess i will buy that. I only game on a single 1080p monitor wont go higher than that EVER. idk which version to go? Gigabyte version looks good with 3 fans. and i wont do any overclocking for now.

after i get the card i might need some help installing it though, never installed a graphic card before, i probly can but kinda afraid that i might ruiin something. I spent over $2k now on this computer

Again thank you so much to all of you who replied, VERY FAST REPLY I appreciate it. I was kind of panicking when i realized that i couldnt run SLI, i even bought 3 SLI bridges thinking it was the fault of SLI bridges not working or damaged during shipping. then finally i looked into the mother board lol

Both are great cards, the gigabyte will be a few bucks cheaper than the GTX 970.

Peformance is about the same level, but the r9 290x put out much more heat. 

The heat will heat up all your pc components, it also consumes 250watt with average gaming, while the 970 needs only 170watt.

Both are great cards, the gigabyte will be a few bucks cheaper than the GTX 970.

Peformance is about the same level, but the r9 290x put out much more heat.

The heat will heat up all your pc components, it also consumes 250watt with average gaming, while the 970 needs only 170watt.

I was looking at reviews and stuff I think 970 is kinda better. I'm not gonna over clock. Does it need to be overlooked to get best performance? I'll probly get gigabyte version of 970. Newegg is a good place to order right? I usually get my stuff from Amazon but these cards are pricey there so I'm going with new egg.

If you have a coupon code or something would appreciate it lol ☺

I was looking at reviews and stuff I think 970 is kinda better. I'm not gonna over clock. Does it need to be overlooked to get best performance? I'll probly get gigabyte version of 970. Newegg is a good place to order right? I usually get my stuff from Amazon but these cards are pricey there so I'm going with new egg.

If you have a coupon code or something would appreciate it lol ☺

newegg is a trustworthy website and I wouldn´t recommend you to overclock, I don´t think it´s worth it to get higher temperatures and artifacts in some games for 9fps more.

newegg is a trustworthy website and I wouldn´t recommend you to overclock, I don´t think it´s worth it to get higher temperatures and artifacts in some games for 9fps more.

Which version is better? I saw like msi Asus gigabyte stock?

Also my mother board will support the card right? And also my Cpu good? I7 4790k 4 ghz stock

Which version is better? I saw like msi Asus gigabyte stock? Also my mother board will support the card right? And also my Cpu good? I7 4790k 4 ghz stock

If I can remember right, the Asus design has a zero fan mode, that means, with applications that don´t or use the graphicscard a little, the fans won´t spin. 

This is good for people who are browsing much or need to work on their pc´s.

The gigabyte has defenetly the better cooling, but you can hear it while it´s idling (not loud, but still...) 

The windforce cooler (gigabyte) throws the heat to the sidepanel, I would recommend using a pc case like this http://ep.yimg.com/ay/directron/black-nzxt-m59-classic-series-atx-mid-tower-computer-case-m59-001bk-w-side-panel-window-and-120mm-led-fans-1.gif

with a fan on the sidepanel blowing the hot air out. But singlecard use in a case with bad airflow shouldn´t be that critical.

Many people like the Msi, a graphicscard with 2 big fans that can fit in most pc cases, it operates silent and is "cool" (I think it has the zero fan mode too)

All mainboards that aren´t older than 5 years should work without problems. 

And yes, your cpu is fine! No need for overclock.

If I can remember right, the Asus design has a zero fan mode, that means, with applications that don´t or use the graphicscard a little, the fans won´t spin.

This is good for people who are browsing much or need to work on their pc´s.

The gigabyte has defenetly the better cooling, but you can hear it while it´s idling (not loud, but still...)

The windforce cooler (gigabyte) throws the heat to the sidepanel, I would recommend using a pc case like this http://ep.yimg.com/ay/directron/black-nzxt-m59-classic-series-atx-mid-tower-computer-case-m59-001bk-w-side-panel-window-and-120mm-led-fans-1.gif

with a fan on the sidepanel blowing the hot air out. But singlecard use in a case with bad airflow shouldn´t be that critical.

Many people like the Msi, a graphicscard with 2 big fans that can fit in most pc cases, it operates silent and is "cool" (I think it has the zero fan mode too)

All mainboards that aren´t older than 5 years should work without problems.

And yes, your cpu is fine! No need for overclock.

Alright bro thanks a lot. I'll order it tonight. I'm at work now. Hopefully I get it soon. When i get it, I might need your help to put it in the case. Lol

Alright bro thanks a lot. I'll order it tonight. I'm at work now. Hopefully I get it soon. When i get it, I might need your help to put it in the case. Lol

hahaha

hahaha

i bought gigagbyte version should be here on monday from new egg. i will def need help. i was doing some research and some posts said mother boards have a lever? how to check if mine has it? its z97 k