Should I upgrade for video editings with Premiere and After Effects?

Go to solution Solved by Puppet,

Oh god if you upgrade please do not build a gaming rig for video editing, what a waste.

Get an x79 or Xeon motherboard with as much RAM as you can find.

I was using After Effects and decided to check my performance monitors. CPU usage was hardly any and neither was GPU. But i was using 12gb of RAM. 12 freaking gig for >1minute of footage.

Same story when rendering the footage.

Socket 2011 definitely gets better performance as shown in the benchmarks, but isn't necessary especially for light editors, when you factor in the cost of the motherboard etc, you can be spending money unnecessarily, but should definitely be considered.

Rendering times are nice, but what's more important is smooth playback and all the small prerenders you will go through and to be honest a 3770k will actually cope just fine on typical edits. The OP mentioned his usage and thought there was no need to over inflate the costs.

Gaming cards compete quite heavily with the low/mid end workstation cards. If you are going to get a workstation card, best to go all out on one and that can cost 1000's again not what the OP is after IMO.

Not disagreeing at all with you, you are factually right, just think it's important to consider the costs to someone who wants professional looking video, but at the end of the day not doing it professionally as in day in/day out where rendering times could actually be important.

Lot's of RAM is definitely a must for anyone 16gb is what I would consider a min, with AE PP and PS working simultaneously it will eat the majority of that.

Hello ,

I am having the following major specs for my current desktop,

CPU : Q9300 (Overclocked to 3.0GHz)

RAM: Corsair DDR2 800MHz 8GB (2G x 4)

Motherboard: Asus X38 Maximus Formula

Storage: Plextor M5P SSD 256GB

PSU : Antec HCG 520M

Next month I will start shooting FullHD video footages for my sport practices and travelings. After that, I would like to use the premiere pro and after effects CS6 as I am self learning and to produce videos at home for convenient.  

As I am not familiar with the recent updated D.I.Y. market, can anyone have the solution explained and tell me something about what I can expected, compare to current set?

[Edit #1]

Mainly would like to upgrade to the new Hasswell or Ivy Bridge with Motherboard, CPU and Ram dimms.

Cheers,

Karson

MY SETUP
CPU: Intel i7-4771 , RAM: Team Xtreem DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x 4 , MB: Intel DZ87KLT-75K , GPU:Asus OC GTX760, SSD: Plextor M5P 256GB , HDD: 1TB WD Black , PSU: Antec HCG520M

Hello ,

I am having the following major specs for my current desktop,

CPU : Q9300 (Overclocked to 3.0GHz)

RAM: Corsair DDR2 800MHz 8GB (2G x 4)

Motherboard: Asus X38 Maximus Formula

Storage: Plextor M5P SSD 256GB

PSU : Antec HCG 520M

Next month I will start shooting FullHD video footages for my sport practices and travelings. After that, I would like to use the premiere pro and after effects CS6 as I am self learning and to produce videos at home for convenient.  

As I am not familiar with the recent updated D.I.Y. market, can anyone have the solution explained and tell me something about what I can expected, compare to current set?

Cheers,

Karson

not sure what you want?

are you asking us to compare the features for CS6 to the new creative cloud edition of apps?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

not sure what you want?

are you asking us to compare the features for CS6 to the new creative cloud edition of apps?

Oh, not really.

I am asking, how much performance will I get compare with the current spec and the new setup.

MY SETUP
CPU: Intel i7-4771 , RAM: Team Xtreem DDR3 1600MHz 8GB x 4 , MB: Intel DZ87KLT-75K , GPU:Asus OC GTX760, SSD: Plextor M5P 256GB , HDD: 1TB WD Black , PSU: Antec HCG520M

You could probably just about edit on that setup, it will just be very frustrating though, that would have been a great machine new, not so much now.

Definitely upgrade if you want to produce anything of a decent quality, prerendering and playback will get on your nerves.

You are looking at a brand new build  to be honest nothing really worth upgrading separately.

You'd get quite a lot of performance, if say you upgrade to a 2600k/3770k/4770k, the hyperthreading really helps in editing, along with the higher speeds of DDR3 memory. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Oh, not really.

I am asking, how much performance will I get compare with the current spec and the new setup.

well here's a few major points that are weak in your system.

-DDR2 

-256GB storage

faster memory helps a ton in video editing.

and for HD video editing you'll want at least a 1TB HDD,if not 2+ TB considering how cheap they are.

also what do you plan to do with the videos in Pr and Ae?

-assemble multiple videos in a compilation?

-intensive with quite a bit of post processing?

-somewhere in the middle?

I'd say for making a compilation of all of them or somewhere in the middle you should be fine.

if you want relatively intensive post processing go for a new build,if not then the current one may serve you pretty well.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

If you can afford to just buy a new machine an i7 3770/4770k would suit you fine.

Not sure if the SSD is your only storage device but you are going to want a lot more space and you shouldn't really be using SSDs scratch disks anyway.

CUDA is the way to go with Adobe so grab an Nvidia GPU, I'll try and dig up the benchmarks, but there isn't very much difference between a 660 and a 680 etc as there is in gaming so no need to dump a load of money on that.

16gb RAM

Someone here will probably mock up a build for you.

Having a gpu with cuda will greatly benefit in playback and rendering in premiere and after effects. 

Any is better than none and I recommend getting one.

What's your budget? Are you looking to make a new system in general?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Like puppet said: Get a GPU! They cut down render times massively. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Forgotten to mention that I have a 500GB SATA external drive for Data Storage,

the computer only have  256GB running softwares and temporary storage,

my budget is enough for 4770k, Motherboard price around the ASRock Z87 Professional, 16GB ram and one 1TB Harddrive.

As Puppet posted the benchmark above, it seems not much difference between the 650 and 660 as it just under a minute, but could possible to change the card when 760 released.

As I would like to create an Intro like this (

)

and some effects like explosions and fake camera walking effects using photos taken by camera.(

) I think I am somewhere in the middle, not too intensive as I am not making it as profit, those videos are for my sport club and entertainments.

Thanks for help. :-)

Karson

MY SETUP

Oh god if you upgrade please do not build a gaming rig for video editing, what a waste.

I was using After Effects and decided to check my performance monitors. CPU usage was hardly any and neither was GPU. But i was using 12gb of RAM. 12 freaking gig for >1minute of footage.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Socket 2011 definitely gets better performance as shown in the benchmarks, but isn't necessary especially for light editors, when you factor in the cost of the motherboard etc, you can be spending money unnecessarily, but should definitely be considered.

Rendering times are nice, but what's more important is smooth playback and all the small prerenders you will go through and to be honest a 3770k will actually cope just fine on typical edits. The OP mentioned his usage and thought there was no need to over inflate the costs.

Gaming cards compete quite heavily with the low/mid end workstation cards. If you are going to get a workstation card, best to go all out on one and that can cost 1000's again not what the OP is after IMO.

Not disagreeing at all with you, you are factually right, just think it's important to consider the costs to someone who wants professional looking video, but at the end of the day not doing it professionally as in day in/day out where rendering times could actually be important.

Lot's of RAM is definitely a must for anyone 16gb is what I would consider a min, with AE PP and PS working simultaneously it will eat the majority of that.

;) I think I have got the solution! Thanks for all inputs!

MY SETUP