Ivy Bridge-E X79 Compatability Confusion

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Ivy Bridge E will use X79 like Sandy Bridge E, and existing boards will just require a BIOS update to support Ivy Bridge E.  There won't be many new motherboards if any, and those that do will still support Sandy Bridge E.

X99 is for Haswell-E in 2014.

So, though I have been working with computers for a long time, it's only within the last year or so that I have really gotten into the hardware side of things. I have a 3930k in a Asus P9X79 Pro, and I keep seeing stuff about how the new IB-E CPUs will be LGA 2011 parts, but because I haven't been around for very long, I don't understand exactly what will happen regarding compatability between generations of CPUs that share a socket. From what I understand, there will be a new X99 chipset, but the new IB-E CPUs should also work in X79 mobos after a BIOS/UEFI update. However, obviously, things like DDR4 RAM will not work on X79 mobos. Basically, my questions are things like:

What will a IB-E CPU be able to do and not do in an X79 mobo?

What advantages are expected out of X99 that aren't possible on X79?

Will SB-E CPUs run on X99 mobos?

I don't plan on upgrading, but I would like to understand what all is happening.

Thank you in advance!

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k | Mobo: Asus P9X79 Pro | RAM: 4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance | SSD: Samsung 840

GPU: Gigabyte 7950 | CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 | Case: CM Storm Trooper | PSU: Corsair HX 750

Ivy Bridge E will use X79 like Sandy Bridge E, and existing boards will just require a BIOS update to support Ivy Bridge E.  There won't be many new motherboards if any, and those that do will still support Sandy Bridge E.

X99 is for Haswell-E in 2014.

Building on what Glenwing said, as far as Haswell-E is concerned, you will not be able to use X79 motherboards with Haswell-E chips to any degree.

IB-E will probably not be worth upgrading to from SB-E. Haswell-E probably will. In short, keep the 3930K and wait until 2014 before upgrading :)

Great! Thanks for the responses everyone!

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k | Mobo: Asus P9X79 Pro | RAM: 4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance | SSD: Samsung 840

GPU: Gigabyte 7950 | CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 | Case: CM Storm Trooper | PSU: Corsair HX 750

Man, this was exactly the article I needed when I was Googling this stuff earlier.