Filco or Ducky?

Zeal

Hi LTT community! I'm currently in a dilemma. I'm thinking of getting a new Mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches, and eventually modding them to Ergo-Clears (MX Clear+(Red/Brown or Blue Spring)). Of course, this will be a long term project and I have no guarantees when that will happen! :lol:

Now the question is...Should I get a Ducky Shine II while I have the chance (Still in Taipei for a couple days, Ducky is a Taiwanese company) or wait for the DS III (I love the extended keypress lighting effect) or just get a Filco Majestouch-2 keyboard? The build qualities for these two brands are pretty similar, only differing in LED/no LED. Is there something else I'm missing in terms of build quality/feel?

I've had little experience with TKL keyboards so I'm not sure if I'll be used to not having a numpad. Perhaps you guys can convince me to try one.

Side note: I also plan on swapping the keycaps with blank ones. Not sure if I'm going to go with full White or Black thick PBT yet.

Thanks in advance

-Zeal

Filco is a much better company when it comes to better build quality. Filco is like one the high end companies, just like how the 3970x is the cream of the crop :P

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I got my tenkeyless Blue MX Filco just a few days ago. The build quality is out of this world and I love it. Haven't tried a Ducky ever, but I can recommend Filcos without a doubt. 

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

I'd vote for Ducky, using a Shine II and it's the best keyboard I had to pleasure to put my fingers on.

Nothing wrong with Filco though. They are made in the same factory anyhow, if I am not mistaken.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Filco's have better build quality but no backlight, ducky has  a little worse build quality but with backlight. Get filco if you don't need backlight, ducky if you want backlight. Done.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

I havent tried a Filco, but the quility of my Ducky is not up for discussion! I will be getting another Ducky at some point, might be the Year Of The Snake if I can get a TKL version with nordic ISO layout.

Anyways, I have always had numpads and hated using the other number row, but after getting a Ducky G2Pro with blue/green switched Im sold on the small formfactor for sure! never going back to the big ugly full boards.. :D So I would say you should def. try a TKL. Personally I would wait for the Shine 3, but they might be hard to get your hands on for the first while, but I dont know. The new Year Of The Snake might also be worth it to have a look at! :)

(Comming soon)

I'd vote for Ducky, using a Shine II and it's the best keyboard I had to pleasure to put my fingers on.

Nothing wrong with Filco though. They are made in the same factory anyhow, if I am not mistaken.

Im pretty sure that Ducky has their own factory.. Might it be coolarmaster you are thinking about? They are produced the same place as Filco.

Filco's have better build quality but no backlight, ducky has  a little worse build quality but with backlight. Get filco if you don't need backlight, ducky if you want backlight. Done.

That is the second person I have seen saying that Filco has better build quality?! I'm interested in hearing why you believe they have better quality? :) (and have you tried both brands?)

(Comming soon)

If I go with a backlit keyboard, I'll have twice the amount of connectors to desolder and resolder @.@

Ugh really like the delayed lighting effect on the DKSIII. Did they have a TKL version of it? I'm not talking about the mini...

If I go with a backlit keyboard, I'll have twice the amount of connectors to desolder and resolder @.@

Ugh really like the delayed lighting effect on the DKSIII. Did they have a TKL version of it? I'm not talking about the mini...

I dont know if they had one at computex, but I would think that they are most likely going to make some, but from what I have seen they offer a little more option with a full board. And the TKL version might take a little while longer to get to the market. :)

(Comming soon)

I don't know how you can say that with such conviction, I own a Filco MJ Ninja, two DS II's and a Ducky G2 Pro TKL model......both brands seem about the same to me in terms of build quality. I'm no expert, but using a DS II 78 Version on my main rig, and the MJ Ninja on my 2nd rig, the build quality is about the same, both are equally refined. If you don't want back light, easily Filco.....if you want back light, Ducky Shine....if you want a good quality KB with or w/o back light, then choose between these two by tossing a coin.

I've heard that Topre with its hybrid dome and its own switch is just about perfect, but it's in a different price range though.....but honestly, between Ducky and Filco, there's no winner or loser, both are great.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

As an alternative, you could look into Cooler Master. I personally have a Quickfire TK and am extremely satisfied. Mine is a TKL with a numberpad (watch linus' video for more on that), but they also make full size keyboards too. I have heard Slick say that it is the same factory (and hence, same build quality) as Filco. I myself can confirm that this is a very solid keyboard. However, if you don't want to consider this route, I would wait for the new keyboard. Its worth a few months wait as opposed to getting something that will be obsolete so quickly. Especially with mechanical keyboards, which people seldom replace, you want one that you are satisfied with. Don't get one that you won't like in a few months. 

As an alternative, you could look into Cooler Master. I personally have a Quickfire TK and am extremely satisfied. Mine is a TKL with a numberpad (watch linus' video for more on that), but they also make full size keyboards too. I have heard Slick say that it is the same factory (and hence, same build quality) as Filco. I myself can confirm that this is a very solid keyboard. However, if you don't want to consider this route, I would wait for the new keyboard. Its worth a few months wait as opposed to getting something that will be obsolete so quickly. Especially with mechanical keyboards, which people seldom replace, you want one that you are satisfied with. Don't get one that you won't like in a few months. 

A TKL with a numberpad? By definition, that can't exist. 

A TKL with a numberpad? By definition, that can't exist. 

There is a block of keys, and you can switch between having them be the arrow kays and the ins, home, pageup, etc keys, or you can use it as a number pad. Check out the unboxing Linus did of the Quickfire TK to see this in action- its actually quite nifty. 

I can see why you would presume that, being produced in the same factory as Filco, they would have the same build quality. BUT in being another company they might not have the same quality specifications as Filco has. Also CM being cheaper one could think that is the case. I havent tried a CM board though and I dont think I have actually heard anything bad about then, and the only reason I wont consider them is because of the design. I like the classic look of filco and Ducky. :)

Anyways, CM storm is also an alternative, but if you have your eyes set on a Filco or Ducky you probably wont just "settle" with a CM board..

(Comming soon)

Now the question is...Should I get a Ducky Shine II while I have the chance (Still in Taipei for a couple days, Ducky is a Taiwanese company) or wait for the DS III (I love the extended keypress lighting effect) or just get a Filco Majestouch-2 keyboard? The build qualities for these two brands are pretty similar, only differing in LED/no LED. Is there something else I'm missing in terms of build quality/feel?

I've had little experience with TKL keyboards so I'm not sure if I'll be used to not having a numpad. Perhaps you guys can convince me to try one.

Side note: I also plan on swapping the keycaps with blank ones. Not sure if I'm going to go with full White or Black thick PBT yet.

Thanks in advance

-Zeal

Filco uses Costar stabilizers, Ducky uses cherry stabilizers. Some prefer the Costar ones over the cherry ones. Personally, I think they're making a big deal out of it.. but just a heads up.

You said you plan on swapping the keycaps to blank PBTs. Black ones would defeat the purpose of having backlights... So if you do decide to get the Ducky, go with the white keycaps.

The TK is actually not a Costar board, the OEM is unknown. The QFR and Trigger are the ones that are Costar (same as Filco).

Have you ever typed on a Ducky.  They are built like a tank.

The Ducky Shine 2 is an amazing keyboard.  I love mine and will probably only buy Duckys.  The Ducky's have more options in terms of switches and lighting and sizes (EX: you can get a fulsize or a TKL with almost any witch and color combo) then Filco's.

Yes, I have because my cousin has one. But ducky is good because of it's different backlighting options. But filco build quality is beast!

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Filco uses Costar stabilizers, Ducky uses cherry stabilizers. Some prefer the Costar ones over the cherry ones. Personally, I think they're making a big deal out of it.. but just a heads up.

You said you plan on swapping the keycaps to blank PBTs. Black ones would defeat the purpose of having backlights... So if you do decide to get the Ducky, go with the white keycaps.

The TK is actually not a Costar board, the OEM is unknown. The QFR and Trigger are the ones that are Costar (same as Filco).

Yeah, I knew about the stabilizers, should have mentioned that. Cherry stabilizers seem a lot easier to remove but are also a lot more of a hassle when lubing the keyswitches.

The more I look at clean white keycaps, the more it's growing on me...

Ducky IMO.  The quality is NO less than a FILCO.  At least on Shine II it's not.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

I got my ducky 1087 for 35 dollars new and it has better build quality than my now dead blackwidow. NEver tried a filco, but im telling you, Ducky keyboards are really good. GEt a shine 3. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Also look into TOPRE keyboards. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

OR get an official CHERRY keyboard.

Gonna see if I can find myself a DK9087 Shine 2 with MX Clears tomorrow in Taipei before I head back to Canada on Friday...It's a TKL keyboard, but I've got some visions in mind for it. And if I somehow struggle to find MX clears in the future, well, I'll just have to perform some surgeries on the TKL keyboard!

Im pretty sure that Ducky has their own factory.. Might it be coolarmaster you are thinking about? They are produced the same place as Filco.

That is the second person I have seen saying that Filco has better build quality?! I'm interested in hearing why you believe they have better quality? :) (and have you tried both brands?)

Have you ever typed on a Ducky.  They are built like a tank.

The Ducky Shine 2 is an amazing keyboard.  I love mine and will probably only buy Duckys.  The Ducky's have more options in terms of switches and lighting and sizes (EX: you can get a fulsize or a TKL with almost any witch and color combo) then Filco's.

Someone I know personally has a ducky shine 2, and I have a filco MJ1.

Ducky, although they are built very well, filco's are built slightly better. Just feels a little more solid all around. I wasn't sure if this was just placaebo, but the ducky owner said my filco felt negligably better and said he went for ducky because of the wider range of choices available and because the difference was almost negligable.

Both brands are great choices. As I said, if you don't want any frills like backlighting and such, and just want a solid keyboard thats minimal, get a filco, if you want backlight, colours, etc, get a ducky. It's really not a hard decision, and if people say I don't like ducky or am a filco fanboy go ahead.

I personally am bias for a minimal look and so the filco fit me, if I wanted a less minimal look and to have more bells I would have bought a ducky. Choose what suits you best.

I don't know how you can say that with such conviction, I own a Filco MJ Ninja, two DS II's and a Ducky G2 Pro TKL model......both brands seem about the same to me in terms of build quality. I'm no expert, but using a DS II 78 Version on my main rig, and the MJ Ninja on my 2nd rig, the build quality is about the same, both are equally refined. If you don't want back light, easily Filco.....if you want back light, Ducky Shine....if you want a good quality KB with or w/o back light, then choose between these two by tossing a coin.

I've heard that Topre with its hybrid dome and its own switch is just about perfect, but it's in a different price range though.....but honestly, between Ducky and Filco, there's no winner or loser, both are great.

I didn't mean a hige difference. I meant a SLIGHT difference. Hope this post clears it up. If anyone wanted a bullet proof keyboard they could just buy a modelm.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Filco is a much better company when it comes to better build quality. Filco is like one the high end companies, just like how the 3970x is the cream of the crop :P

You are correct 

Ducky and filco are made in the same factory

If you wish to discuss which is better in general go to te thread i made about a week ago

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/25094-filco-vs-ducky/

Ducky has features like backlighting and what not

Filco has a bit more plain down to the point keyboards. it is preference seeing as how they are from the same factory

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"