Am I wrong or right?

Bit8xPr0

Okay, so I'm in an argument with these people on a Facebook page. They're saying that in no situation can a FX 6300 beat a FX 8350. I'm trying to tell them that my FX 6300 is better then a FX 8350 when clocked at 4.3 GHZ and using applications that do not utilize more then 6 cores. Is this not how it works? If the application is not made to use the cores how will having more solve a bottleneck. 

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

If the 6300 is clocked higher and the program utilizes no more than 6 cores, the 6300 will perform better. They use the same architecture.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Okay, so I'm in an argument with these people on a Facebook page. They're saying that in no situation can a FX 6300 beat a FX 8350. I'm trying to tell them that my FX 6300 is better then a FX 8350 when clocked at 4.3 GHZ and using applications that do not utilize more then 6 cores. Is this not how it works? If the application is not made to use the cores how will having more solve a bottleneck. 

If the 6300 is clocked higher and the application uses no more than 6 cores the 6300 will do better... Just remember you can OC an 8350 as well. So the 8350 is generally better. So I would say you are wrong.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/4

Also don't argue on facebook. That is the easiest way to go full retard.

no situation can a FX 6300 beat a FX 8350.  what if the 8350 doesnt work? or if i smash it

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

If they're saying in "NO SITUATION" an FX 6300 can beat an 8350 and don't believe an overclocked 6300 can beat a stock 8350 in applications with less than 6 threads, then yeah, you're right. Of course the 8350 can be overclocked too though...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

no situation can a FX 6300 beat a FX 8350.  what if the 8350 doesnt work? or if i smash it

true

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

If an application uses 6 or less cores, the winner will be whichever CPU is overclocked higher (which could be either the 8350 or the 6300). If the application can use 7 or 8 cores, the 8350 will be faster (unless the 8350 is severely underclocked).

Edit: I suppose that it could be argued that the 8350 would win in a less-than 6 thread task because it would have more L1 and L2 cache available. This could be attributed to the fact that two cores share the same L1 and L2 cache in a single module, so the 8350 could be able to spread the task across its extra module. (frankly the difference would probably be minimal at best, so the winner would still primarily be decided by the clockspeed)

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Edit: I suppose that it could be argued that the 8350 would win in a less-than 6 thread task because it would have more L1 and L2 cache available. This could be attributed to the fact that two cores share the same L1 and L2 cache in a single module, so the 8350 could be able to spread the task across its extra module. (frankly the difference would probably be minimal at best, so the winner would still primarily be decided by the clockspeed)

I don't think that's how it works. If the program doesn't utilize those extra cores, they aren't used and neither are the resources. Per core, the resources are the same.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The six core will win when clocked higher than the eight core in apps that use no more than 6 threads.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Yeah, so him telling me to get an FX 8350 to fix a bottleneck over my FX 6300 @4.3 GHZ didn't make sense. I mean yeah you could overclock the 8350 as well. 

okay OC ur 6300 to 4.5... im just gunna OC my 8350 to 5.3...

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I don't think that's how it works. If the program doesn't utilize those extra cores, they aren't used and neither are the resources. Per core, the resources are the same.

Not with the architecture used in AMD's recent CPUs.. The 8350 has 4 modules, and each module has 2 cores that share the same L1 and L2 cache (and of course one large block of L3 in the middle of all of the modules)..

I could be wrong about this (I'm definitely not an expert), but I believe that if one core of a module is inactive, the active core in that module can take over the unused L1 and L2 cache.. (And, like I said previously, the difference would likely be so minimal that the winner in a real-world test would mainly be decided by the overclock)

What you're saying would be true about Intel's CPUs, where the L1 and L2 caches are bound to a single core.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Not with the architecture used in AMD's recent CPUs.. The 8350 has 4 modules, and each module has 2 cores that share the same L1 and L2 cache (and of course one large block of L3 in the middle of all of the modules)..

I could be wrong about this (I'm definitely not an expert), but I believe that if one core of a module is inactive, the active core in that module can take over the unused L1 and L2 cache.. (And, like I said previously, the difference would likely be so minimal that the winner in a real-world test would mainly be decided by the overclock)

What you're saying would be true about Intel's CPUs, where the L1 and L2 caches are bound to a single core.

I was thinking more along the lines of the extra module left over assuming a 6 threaded task. The modules are discrete and therefore the modules can't access each other's resources. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Also to add to this discussion: people are talking 6 cores and 8 cores CPU...but those are 3 modules and 4 modules CPU with only ONE FPU (floating point unit) PER MODULE...

so even with a quad-threaded task the FX8 will be noticeably faster than the 3 module if floating point instructions are to be processed.

If we where to compare this to intel cpu's for example...then this would be a 3 core and a 4 core CPU with ''hyper-threading'' in an hardware format (well it's not exactly that but kind of) so yeah, the FX 8 core is noticeably better.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Also to add to this discussion: people are talking 6 cores and 8 cores CPU...but those are 3 modules and 4 modules CPU with only ONE FPU (floating point unit) PER MODULE...

so even with a quad-threaded task the FX will be noticeably faster than the 3 module if floating point instructions are to be processed.

If we where to compare this to intel cpu's for example...then this would be a 3 core and a 4 core CPU with ''hyper-threading'' in an hardware format (well it's not exactly that but kind of) so yeah, the FX 8 core is noticeably better.

Well im not even going to bother to talk about the CMT architecture and how it exaly work.

Because i think that people should learn and do their own research.

I see so manny people make the same mistake over and over again wenn they talk about the FX processors.

But yeah thanks for adding this lol :P

Back to the main question, "OP" you are completely wrong ;)

Also don't argue on facebook. That is the easiest way to go full retard.

LMAO so true xD

CPU: i7 6800k @ 4.1ghz | Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 64 GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | GPU: GTX 2080 ti Zotac AMP | CASE: Corsair 780T | Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Nvme SSD, Samsung 950 Pro 1TB SSD, Seagate 7200rpm 1TB HDD, Seagate 5TB external HDD | PSU: EVGA 850watt G2 | Displays (3): Samsung Odyssey G70 32 inch 1440p 240hz Monitor 1ms rt, LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor, LG 43UD79-B 43" 16:9 4K IPS Monitor | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Mini, Razer Huntsman Elite | Mice: Logitech G502 HERO wireless, Roccat Leadr | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 700, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Oppo PM3s | DAC/AMP and USB audio enhancers: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Schiit Mjolnir 2, Sennheiser HD 700, Oppo HA-2 Headphone amplifier, Schiit USB Decrapifier | Webcam: Logitech BRIO 4k | Speakers: Klipsch The Sixes Powered Monitors and MartinLogan Dynamo 300 Stereo Subwoofer with Creative Sound Blaster E5 High-Resolution USB DAC to run them both at the same time. And an Amazon Echo linked at the same time to these speakers via bluetooth on the sound blaster. | Microphone and DAC/AMP: Blue yeti pro, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) | Router and Modem: Asus rog rapture GT-AC5300, and ARRIS SURFboard SB8200

FX8350 is better then the FX6300 hands down.

When utilizing 6 threads with a higher clockspeed? No. The available cache(per module) is the same so that would not be a factor.

When utilizing 6 threads with a higher clockspeed? No. The available cache(per module) is the same so that would not be a factor.

You understand how the CMT architecture works?

You understand how the CMT architecture works?

If you have something to explain, you can elaborate.

If you have something to explain, you can elaborate.

6 threads will never be faster on a FX6300 then a FX8350, simply because the FX8350 has 1 extra module so also 1 extra fpu.

6 threads will never be faster on a FX6300 then a FX8350, simply because the FX8350 has 1 extra module so also 1 extra fpu.

So how is that extra FPU used when it's assigned to the unused cores? It resides in the unused module. The modules do not share resources except for the L3 cache.

So how is that extra FPU used when it's assigned to the unused cores? It resides in the unused module. The modules do not share resources except for the L3 cache.

6threads WILL take advantage of the extra module by using the 4th fpu to speed things up...thats what shes trying to explain to you i thought i had been clear enough but she's right..

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

6threads WILL take advantage of the extra module by using the 4th fpu to speed things up...thats what shes trying to explain to you i thought i had been clear enough but she's right..

Is there some sort of reference to that? Another question. Are you implying that during single threaded loads, all four FPUs are being used in the 8350?