Asus Xonar Essence One alternatives

Winther

Hey!

I have been planning to get the Essence One when I had the money, to go together with my Sennheiser HD600s. But I would just like to ask if anyone has some good alternatives, it has to have a jack port (not mini jack, but the big one) and has to be stand-alone. USB soundcard, DAC and headphone amp 300ohms atleast.

(Comming soon)

A 300 ohm amp would be terrible. You want high input impedance and low output impedance, neither of which 300 ohms is.

anyway back on topic
Maverick audio d1 or d2
Little dot dac ii
Fiio e17 + e9
Audioengine d1

Matrix mini i

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

d'oh

I always forget something.

and if you can solder

www.amb.org's

m^3 and gamma 1 or 2 are really good.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Schitt Magni and Modi

FiiO E10

A 300 ohm amp would be terrible. You want high input impedance and low output impedance, neither of which 300 ohms is.

anyway back on topic

Maverick audio d1 or d2

Little dot dac ii

Fiio e17 + e9

Audioengine d1

Matrix mini i

I believe that the e9 has a 10 Ohm output impedance last I checked, and the Matrix mini i is 13 Ohms. All are ok of course as long as you understand their limitations. Of course, even the essence one has an output impedance of 10 Ohms, so all are good "substitutes".

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

anyway back on topic

Maverick audio d1 or d2

Little dot dac ii

Fiio e17 + e9

Audioengine d1

Matrix mini i

Schitt Magni and Modi

FiiO E10

I believe that the e9 has a 10 Ohm output impedance last I checked, and the Matrix mini i is 13 Ohms. All are ok of course as long as you understand their limitations. Of course, even the essence one has an output impedance of 10 Ohms, so all are good "substitutes".

Then I have misunderstood what impedance/output/input is!

I thought the Essence one had 600ohm output..? and that the HD600 requires 300ohms to play properly?

As I would like to use them for gaming, music and movies, I would like a dac/amp which has features like dolby or dts surround, I dont know if that is a given with a dac..?

Does the fact that want to use them for gaming change anyones suggestions? :)

For $999 this is one of the best DACs you can get.

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa7fireflies.html

While that looks really nice, its way over what I can and want to pay! it would be 999 + 20% + 25% or something to get into Denmark.

(Comming soon)

As I would like to use them for gaming, music and movies, I would like a dac/amp which has features like dolby or dts surround, I dont know if that is a given with a dac..?

If you really need the surround sound features on one of those soundcards for a particular game you like to play that REQUIRES it, then sure, those would improve your audio experience.

I thought the Essence one had 600ohm output..? and that the HD600 requires 300ohms to play properly?

The "feature" that an amp supports HEADPHONES with an impedance up to 600 Ohms has more to do with the power output of the device then the actual range of headphones that will be well driven on it.  If they were telling the whole truth, they'd say the amp supports headphones with impedances between 80 and 600 Ohms.  Honestly, the Xonar STX/One/STU can probably support headphones all the way to 1000 Ohms on it's high gain setting if such headphones existed, but that's another matter entirely.

Look up "output impedance" in the FAQ and read through to the link.  You'll see there are precious few inexpensive amps that have sufficient low output impedance for low impedance headphones (the majority of headphones!).

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

While that looks really nice, its way over what I can and want to pay! it would be 999 + 20% + 25% or something to get into Denmark.

You don't really need any surround virtualisation software.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Well then.. Thanks alot for the help!

I am so happy that I didnt go out and get the Essence one then. I think I have decided I want to try the maverick tubemagic D1. Im considering the offer with with two OPA627 OpAmps and one GE5670W Tube - would that be a good idea, its 210$ without those and 250 with?

(Comming soon)

I am so happy that I didnt go out and get the Essence one then. I think I have decided I want to try the maverick tubemagic D1. Im considering the offer with with two OPA627 OpAmps and one GE5670W Tube - would that be a good idea, its 210$ without those and 250 with?

as long as you don't mind changing that tube every now and then...

as long as you don't mind changing that tube every now and then...

How long between changes?

(Comming soon)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/138377/how-long-is-the-life-span-of-tube-amp

head-fi says 1-3 years.  It's an incandescent light bulb, basically.  If you use it all the time you replace it more often.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/138377/how-long-is-the-life-span-of-tube-amp

head-fi says 1-3 years.  It's an incandescent light bulb, basically.  If you use it all the time you replace it more often.

The D1 is a combo tube and solid state amp so I don't think it'd need the upgrade as often... that's speculation though. Hopefully mine last longer than that.

I'd suggest the $250 model, a mate of mine has it and it's very good. My experience with tubes is that you don't want to cheap out.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

the power supply is better than usb can offer in these desktop units.

I would say it's worth it, but it just depends on how far you want to take this little hobby.