PS4 Monitor or TV?

So the next gen consoles are coming out and I'm getting a PS4 once it allows and I'm having trouble deciding between a TV or a normal Monitor with an HDMI. What is the best one you think? A monitor or a tv? I'm not going to mention a budget at the moment but what do you guys think is the best?

Also I have a question about recording from console. I would like to record my gameplay and upload on youtube if possible. How do I do this? I have no idea how they do it. What will I need?

First of all, i don't see the point of getting a "gaming" grade monitor, your input lag will be there, it can't compare with the pc, so the purpose for a monitor is gone, buy a huge tv and be done.

Second, you'll need a capture card, AverMedia has them, the portable can be used stand-alone (i think) and for the other versions, you'll need a PC with a spare PCI-e slot.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Get a monitor if you plan on playing with your Ps4 at your computer desk and get a TV is you plan on having the display far away like in a living room.

Get a monitor if you plan on playing with your Ps4 at your computer desk and get a TV is you plan on having the display far away like in a living room.

Basically this, but not a gaming monitor, it will be useless in that scenario.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

All the monitors I use with my xbox 360 looks like crap, I'm not sure why. I have a Samsung, LG, Acer, and an ASUS monitor and for some reason none of them look good with my Xbox, so I'm going to suggest TV. 

First of all, i don't see the point of getting a "gaming" grade monitor, your input lag will be there, it can't compare with the pc, so the purpose for a monitor is gone, buy a huge tv and be done.

Second, you'll need a capture card, AverMedia has them, the portable can be used stand-alone (i think) and for the other versions, you'll need a PC with a spare PCI-e slot.

How do you know that the input lag will be enough that there won't be a difference between a TV and a gaming monitor?

All the monitors I use with my xbox 360 looks like crap, I'm not sure why. I have a Samsung, LG, Acer, and an ASUS monitor and for some reason none of them look good with my Xbox, so I'm going to suggest TV. 

That's probably because the Xbox makes it look like crap.

Basically this, but not a gaming monitor, it will be useless in that scenario.

Gaming monitors in general = useless.

Why would anyone want to pay more for a TN panel?

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

Incoming burn alert...

...And there it is.

Well if you're running a PC rather than a console, many people prefer 120fps and faster response time to the colours of IPS. Moreover if you're into 3D you have no option anyway.

120Hz+, it makes a world of a difference when you're gaming.

Probably, and its still a console, and the PS4 is still a console, so who is to say....

Regardless it looks perfectly fine on a Samsung TV. Hmm I wonder how the WiiU looks on my monitors. Never tried it since ya know playing WiiU on a monitor would be daft.

Probably, and its still a console, and the PS4 is still a console, so who is to say....

?

FFS use a TV. Its a console, not a computer. Unless you're going to playing with right next to your face use a TV. Even then I'd reccomend a small 23~ TV anyway. PS3 looks so bad on my Dell monitor.

That it won't also looks like crap. Not sure how that wasn't implied. 

I wasn't implying that. They both look bad.

How do you know that the input lag will be enough that there won't be a difference between a TV and a gaming monitor?

Because on pc even the IPS are enough for me to see a world of difference, but i game kinda' competition grade, so i dunno. But please don't try to explain me that the console would have the same responsiveness as the PC, i'm not going to listen *LALALALALA*.The wireless controller is the first step :)).

Because on pc even the IPS are enough for me to see a world of difference, but i game kinda' competition grade, so i dunno. But please don't try to explain me that the console would have the same responsiveness as the PC, i'm not going to listen *LALALALALA*.The wireless controller is the first step :)).

No, I'm not arguing that.  :P  It's just that it's best not to assume what the PS4 will bring us when it's still in development.

No, I'm not arguing that.  :P  It's just that it's best not to assume what the PS4 will bring us when it's still in development.

Yeah, agreed, but it will still have some components/things that will induce lag.

TV have an inputs lag of average I would say 100ms. A monitor... is at worst, 30ms.

XBox 360 is 480p or 720p content upscaled to 1080p. Because you are up close to the monitor, it looks like crap. Me too my Wii looks like crap on a LCD TV and monitor, but fine on my 27inch CRT monitor at sofa/TV distance.

Upscale doesn't really enhances the image. It's like not in movies..

I really want to find an awesome monitor for a PC and PS4 because I don't think it's wise to use my PC on an TV monitor... and I do want to refrain from buying 1 TV and 1 Monitor.

Dell U2410 is your answer... sadly its discontinued.

or, if you don't mind a strech image to fit the screen due to the higher resolution, or black borders all around, U2711, also discontinued.

Both monitor are the same, but the U2410 is 24inch with a resolution of 1920x1200, and the U2711, is 27inch at 2560x1440.

The monitor features: HDMI, DisplayPort, 2x DVI, VGA, Component and Composite. So you can even plug a VHS if you want, or old game console.

The monitor has at worst a 30ms input lag, with game mode witch turns off the color processor and Look Up Table, to reduce input lag further. Excellent response time, beating most 60Hz TN monitors, and some 120Hz monitors (well basically the really really crappy 120Hz monitors.. which are probably 60Hz TN panel that they overclocked and not actually support 120Hz). Amazing colors reproduction, high grade CFL back light for stunning whites, and comes with 2x manufacture color calibrated profiles, with report: sRGB and Adobe RGB profiles, ready to pick on the monitor. Solid build quality, one of the best, with a solid metal stand, fully adjustable, picture-in-picture, and side-by-side picture-in-picture. Very well reviewed. Pretty much all it's missing is doing bacon and toast in the morning.

Sadly... as it massacred everything on the market at a consumer grade level, Dell decided that it can cut down to come closer to the market with lower end model, increasing their profits, and reduce the price a bit.

but if you can get either monitor, you should be set to get best of both worlds, and as it's discontinued, the price drop considerably.

I have the U2410 on my desk, which I bought when it was released, worth every penny.

BUT, that aside

Get an IPS monitor with HDMI and you are set. So, ASUS PA248Q, for example, or the 23inch 1080p version: ASUS PB238Q.