Questions about RAID

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask about this, but here goes.

Sometime early next year (whenever Windows 10 comes out) I was going to upgrade my storage units. Currently I use a 128gb A-data ssd, and a 1tb hitachi hdd.

What I was originally planning on doing was getting two 500gb ssds and running raid 0 on them for 1tb total, but I've seen videos discussing raid 0 and all it does it makes there more risk of losing your data (unless you're willing to backup everything, which is too much of a hassle)

So i changed my plan to something more practical, I decided to get two 256gb ssds from a-data (currently they're $100 each) and I was going to run them in raid 1 so i'd have a backup of everything and if one dies i can replace it, and potentially have all my important stuff saved for life.

As for my main hdd, I was originally planning on just getting a 3-4tb hdd, however my current hdd has over 700gb of things that I don't want to lose and it's already several years old, so I decided instead I'll get two 2tb hdds and also run those in raid 1, and copy the stuff from my original hdd over to it (that way after all that i'll still have 1.3ish tb left). I can get two 2tb seagate hdds for less than $200 (if possible when closer to when I'd be doing this, I want to try getting two 3-4tb hdds if i can get them both less than $200)

as for my questions about raid, which I've never done before; are you able to run multiple raids at once? like a raid for my ssds, and a separate raid for my hdds? also I don't think i'd need to, but would I need a raid controller?

As for the ssds/hdds I'd be using 2 x A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive and 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Also if it matters, the motherboard i'd be using at that time MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (I know the mobo supports pretty much all kinds of raid, i checked on MSI's website)

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Raid 1 is not a replacement for doing backups.

It is for redundancy, not backups.

Just buy a separate storage drive and set windows to auto backup your data every few days or weeks.

There is no point in doing raid, just keep it simple and you will have less issues.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

perhaps, it was someone else i know who recommended me doing that

running raid for two hdds seems somewhat pointless i guess, although i still want to do it for my ssds. If a hdd dies I can usually tell it's going to long before it does, but if an ssd goes it just goes

running raid for two hdds seems somewhat pointless i guess, although i still want to do it for my ssds. If a hdd dies I can usually tell it's going to long before it does, but if an ssd goes it just goes

Well 2 HDD's in RAID 0 will theoretically double loading times.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Well 2 HDD's in RAID 0 will theoretically double loading times.

perhaps. which is why I'll just stick with raid 1 for ssd

I dropped the two hdds, and went with a Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

I still plan on getting two ssds and running them in raid

I used to have my oCz Agility 3 240GB's in a RAID 0 array, with backups to a 1TB HDD and never had any issues. In fact, the same SSD's have been wiped and are used in a laptop and my home server now and are still as fast as they were when I bought them a few years ago.

I recently upgraded my PC and I now use a single Samsung 840 Pro 512GB and I have noticed a huge increase in performance. 3 second boot times and instant application loading, I honestly don't think you'll notice a huge difference unless you do intense work on your PC (Not gaming)

It's less of a worry to just get 1 super reliable SSD with a decent capacity rather then go through the effort to go faster when you're not going to use that speed to it's full potential.