Overclocking: What are the tangible benefits?

hammy

So I've been knocking around the idea for a while about upgrading my intel stock heatsink. It may sound vain, but I really do just hate how the thing looks in my case. 

Besides aesthetics, what is the actual benefit of overclocking and adding on an extra heatsink? 

Beyond video editors maybe super heavy photoshop users, I just can't see the value in it. Most games are far more GPU determinant than CPU, so what gives? Why is this so prevalent when 99% of the time it seems you're only getting a modest performance boost for a $80+ investment. 

Aesthetics is the last part you should be thinking about when overclocking.

most of the software that a computer runs day to day use less cores but will benefit from faster and faster CPU.

and gaming will benefit a lot too because its the same story with games. 

Aesthetics is the last part you should be thinking about when overclocking.

most of the software that a computer runs day to day use less cores but will benefit from faster and faster CPU.

and gaming will benefit a lot too because its the same story with games. 

I thought the same thing, but if you check out the litany of comparison videos on the web, most games don't benefit a great deal from a CPU boost. 

Beyond video editors maybe super heavy photoshop users, I just can't see the value in it. Most games are far more GPU determinant than CPU, so what gives? Why is this so prevalent when 99% of the time it seems you're only getting a modest performance boost for a $80+ investment. 

you can typically use an upgraded cooler on current and future builds. well worth the investment IMO because its basically gonna give you free performance for as long as you can keep mounting it to future sockets. Noctua sends you free mounting hardware if a future socket is released.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Heat would be the tangible benefit (sorry, had to).

The overclocking vs. non-overclocking debate really boils down to only a few issues

1) Are you OCing to overcome the IPC gap between generations of CPU's?

2) Do you see a drastic performance increase in the workloads you are completing? -You already identified one of the main benefits, which is faster encoding/rendering times

3) Is your GPU/CPU combo a few frames short of reaching your minimum FPS preference? i.e. will that extra 5-10fps in an MMO on your 120Hz monitor keep you over that 120Hz

4) Do you enjoy OCing as an extension of your already inappropriate and expensive hobby of constantly building/modifying your computers?

Answering "Yes" to any one of those questions would probably mean OCing is a benefit you would see as worth the marginal increase in cost to an unnecessary cost, seeing as how you already bought a K or X SKU processor...Why buy one if you weren't going to OC it when H/B boards are cheaper as well as the locked lines of CPU's. Same train of thought goes for AMD's FX line...more expensive board necessary to OC safely.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I thought the same thing, but if you check out the litany of comparison videos on the web, most games don't benefit a great deal from a CPU boost. 

well why dont you just try it out... get a Hyper 212+ or Evo for less than $40 overclock as much as you can and see of you see a different. how about that?

Depending on the CPU, the CPU's usage in-game, and the overclock.

If, say, the game is getting the CPU to hit a wall and it induces a bottleneck, then an overclock might boost FPS a fair amount. If the game is very GPU dependent, and isn't having any trouble with the CPU, then a CPU overclock won't be worth it, you don't need it.

Outside of gaming, I assume rendering speeds may be a little better. I can't recall benchmarks on it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

you can typically use an upgraded cooler on current and future builds. well worth the investment IMO because its basically gonna give you free performance for as long as you can keep mounting it to future sockets. Noctua sends you free mounting hardware if a future socket is released.

That's a really good point. Wow, I had no idea Noctua actually did that. Another point up for them. Their air cooling solutions look incredible. 

Heat would be the tangible benefit (sorry, had to).

The overclocking vs. non-overclocking debate really boils down to only a few issues

1) Are you OCing to overcome the IPC gap between generations of CPU's?

2) Do you see a drastic performance increase in the workloads you are completing? -You already identified one of the main benefits, which is faster encoding/rendering times

3) Is your GPU/CPU combo a few frames short of reaching your minimum FPS preference? i.e. will that extra 5-10fps in an MMO on your 120Hz monitor keep you over that 120Hz

4) Do you enjoy OCing as an extension of your already inappropriate and expensive hobby of constantly building/modifying your computers?

Answering "Yes" to any one of those questions would probably mean OCing is a benefit you would see as worth the marginal increase in cost to an unnecessary cost, seeing as how you already bought a K or X SKU processor...Why buy one if you weren't going to OC it when H/B boards are cheaper as well as the locked lines of CPU's. Same train of thought goes for AMD's FX line...more expensive board necessary to OC safely.

All great points. Do you happen to know what kind of performance boost comes from a solid overclock? I really would like to upgrade to something that performs better and looks better, but I'm just trying to find the raw benefit of it. But you raise a lot of great points.

well why dont you just try it out... get a Hyper 212+ or Evo for less than $40 overclock as much as you can and see of you see a different. how about that?

Haha well I mean the whole point of asking is to see if it's worth it! RIght? 

Depending on the CPU, the CPU's usage in-game, and the overclock.

If, say, the game is getting the CPU to hit a wall and it induces a bottleneck, then an overclock might boost FPS a fair amount. If the game is very GPU dependent, and isn't having any trouble with the CPU, then a CPU overclock won't be worth it, you don't need it.

Outside of gaming, I assume rendering speeds may be a little better. I can't recall benchmarks on it.

Sorry to put you on the spot here, but I'd love to know if anyone knows an answer to this. Does overclocking your PC actually make windows/daily use faster? I'm assuming stuff like zipping/unzipping of course, but I truly have a limited knowledge as to how the operating itself would handle a higher clock rate on a CPU.

Every cpu I get my hands on is overclocked. When someone tells me they have a K series cpu without and overclock I die a little inside.

Every cpu I get my hands on is overclocked. When someone tells me they ahve a k series cpu without and overclock I die a little inside.

I completely understand maximizing the capability of what you're paying for, but I'm looking for some hardline comparisons that show how useful overclocking actually is. Just wondering if dropping $80+ on a decent cooling system is worth it. Am I going to get $80 worth of performance increase. 

Sorry to put you on the spot here, but I'd love to know if anyone knows an answer to this. Does overclocking your PC actually make windows/daily use faster? I'm assuming stuff like zipping/unzipping of course, but I truly have a limited knowledge as to how the operating itself would handle a higher clock rate on a CPU.

I actually ran my 8350 at 4.9GHz for a short while and didn't see a noticeable difference than it at stock. That's from my experience, I've heard Intel overclocks scale better. If I bump my i7's clock up I may post my experience.

Every cpu I get my hands on is overclocked. When someone tells me they have a K series cpu without and overclock I die a little inside.

I have a 4790k and I have little intention of overclocking, I'm still using the stock cooler.

Primary reason was that at Microcenter, there wasn't a price difference between the locked and unlocked variants. I figured it's better to have the option than not.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I actually ran my 8350 at 4.9GHz for a short while and didn't see a noticeable difference than it at stock. That's from my experience, I've heard Intel overclocks scale better. If I bump my i7's clock up I may post my experience.

I have a 4790k and I have little intention of overclocking, I'm still using the stock cooler.

Primary reason was that at Microcenter, there wasn't a price difference between the locked and unlocked variants. I figured it's better to have the option than not.

Ya! I'd love to hear your results! I'm still undecided if upgrading is worth it or not, but it's really interesting hearing everyone's ideas.

All great points. Do you happen to know what kind of performance boost comes from a solid overclock? I really would like to upgrade to something that performs better and looks better, but I'm just trying to find the raw benefit of it. But you raise a lot of great points.

Non-OC

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/the-intel-haswell-e-cpu-review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/5

OC

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/the-intel-haswell-e-cpu-review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/7

Main points of note are the minutes difference between video encodings, compression, and rendering times. Minutes do not seem to have that much impact, but if all you're doing all day is that specific workload x10, x100, x1000 times over -that's a metric ton of minutes saved. If you also consider the fact that that type of workload basically renders your computer useless unless you've capped the CPU load % it's a space heater doing work while you do nothing. Cutting down the time lets you get back to other things faster, which is the main reason I have my 5960X in the first place, and OC'd.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |