Best IPS Screen Setup on the Cheap

Hey all,

I am looking for the best monitor setup for myself.

I'm looking to pay no more than $400.

I'm going back and forth between two 16:9 1920x1080 (23") monitors or a single 21:9 2560x1080 (29").

I really want an IPS display because I'm getting sick and tired of the crappy TN panel I've dealt with the past 2 years.

The primary use of the monitors is for Gaming (A lot of GTA 5 when it comes out) and Content Creation (Photoshop, Premiere Elements, Flash Animations).

I have a GTX 760 with an i7 4770K.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that it would be far better to go with the two 1080p monitors as I also stream.

Any recommendations for a good 1080p IPS Monitor?

My BattleBox Specs: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS Maximus VI Hero, 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Memory, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760, Corsair C70, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Intel 330 Series 180GB & Samsung 840 Series 120GB, 3TB WD Green, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Visit kurtgrosser.com for quality content! Cheers from Canada, eh?

I would recommend ultra wide. I could suggest 3 ips monitors for you in the price range but I am certain you will be happier with a single ultra wife wide, at least in gaming.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I would recommend ultra wide. I could suggest 3 ips monitors for you in the price range but I am certain you will be happier with a single ultra wife, at least in gaming.

"Ultra wife" 

Yes, I guess a single one of those is nice. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

"Ultra wife" 

And what exactly is an "ultra wife"? :P JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Hey all,

I am looking for the best monitor setup for myself.

I'm looking to pay no more than $400.

I'm going back and forth between two 16:9 1920x1080 (23") monitors or a single 21:9 2560x1080 (29").

I really want an IPS display because I'm getting sick and tired of the crappy TN panel I've dealt with the past 2 years.

The primary use of the monitors is for Gaming (A lot of GTA 5 when it comes out) and Content Creation (Photoshop, Premiere Elements, Flash Animations).

I have a GTX 760 with an i7 4770K.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

a 760 can't really handle driving a 2560 display gaming incredibly well, but the ultrawide 1080p is a good compromise for better gaming.

a 760 can't really handle driving a 2560 display gaming incredibly well, but the ultrawide 1080p is a good compromise for better gaming.

I plan to upgrade the GPU at some point but for now I really want to change the Monitor to something better but a lot of people I talk to suggest the 29" 2560x1080 LG monitor.

My BattleBox Specs: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS Maximus VI Hero, 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Memory, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760, Corsair C70, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Intel 330 Series 180GB & Samsung 840 Series 120GB, 3TB WD Green, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Visit kurtgrosser.com for quality content! Cheers from Canada, eh?

And what exactly is an "ultra wife"? :P JK

The ultimate women

Now to burst your bubble, she doesn't exist :P

@OP as far as two monitors vs. one ultrawide goes, it all depends. I like having two seperate monitors, I can run a fullscreen program on one, have something else on the other, so, for example, I could be playing Starcraft 2 on my main monitor, and have build orders open on the second. I guess it just depends on whether you find having two separate screens frustrating or not. Ultrawide will give you a better gaming experience, but I feel dual monitors is better for productivity

Edit: And just as a point, I'm aware SC2 was a shitty example since the game doesn't run in 21:9 aspect ratio anyway

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

"Ultra wife" 

Having an ultra wife would be pretty sweet. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

The ultimate women.

:B haha

WHAT? *goes an cries in the corner...loudly* :P:D

Having an ultra wife would be pretty sweet.

Haha, twould! :D

The ultimate women

@OP as far as two monitors vs. one ultrawide goes, it all depends. I like having two seperate monitors, I can run a fullscreen program on one, have something else on the other, so, for example, I could be playing Starcraft 2 on my main monitor, and have build orders open on the second. I guess it just depends on whether you find having two separate screens frustrating or not. Ultrawide will give you a better gaming experience, but I feel dual monitors is better for productivity

Edit: And just as a point, I'm aware SC2 was a shitty example since the game doesn't run in 21:9 aspect ratio anyway

I plan to do a lot of editing video so it might help to have the two monitors, especially since I'll stream to Twitch using OBS, as well, and it's nice to check everything is alright without having to leave the game and check then. But I don't have to get rid of my old TN monitor and could still have dual monitor productivity. Also, if GTA 5 supports 21:9 that'd be a plus, as I play it almost every day. SC2 would be nice in 21:9 if they supported it.

SC2 would be nice in 21:9 if they supported it.

Trust me, no it wouldn't be. The community would flip shit over it. Because of how much more is on the screen that's a huge advantage in fights. Plus, consider that people in SC2 and Dota have expressed concerns over 16:10.

For streaming, dual monitors. Streaming in 21:9 is weird, and having a second monitor to have say, stream chat open. Go for dual monitors

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Trust me, no it wouldn't be. The community would flip shit over it. Because of how much more is on the screen that's a huge advantage in fights. Plus, consider that people in SC2 and Dota have expressed concerns over 16:10.

For streaming, dual monitors. Streaming in 21:9 is weird, and having a second monitor to have say, stream chat open. Go for dual monitors

True say, no one wants unfair advantages in e-sports.

Luckily, I'm not e-sports quality gamer lol.

Yeah I guess having a stream in 2560x1080 would be weird.

I'll probably end up going with the dual 1080p monitors.

It will greatly help to be able to see OBS and the Chat.

Any recommendations for a good 1080p IPS monitor (no more than $400 for two)?

I would recommend ultra wide. I could suggest 3 ips monitors for you in the price range but I am certain you will be happier with a single ultra wife wide, at least in gaming.

What would those monitor suggestions be?

What would those monitor suggestions be?

Well if you could find the BenQ VZ2350H in your location then it'll be a great choice.

Link: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1090&products_id=27807

Especially for a dual display setup. :)

Well if you could find the BenQ VZ2350H in your location then it'll be a great choice.

Link: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1090&products_id=27807

Especially for a dual display setup. :)

I can't seem to find it outside of Australia.

I can't seem to find it outside of Australia.

Hmm...yeah, that seems to be the case unfortunately. :(

I'll see what else I can find.

How about two of these? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb238q

It's pretty damn good value. ;)

@TheKurtster

How about two of these? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb238q

It's pretty damn good value. ;)

@TheKurtster

The funny thing is, I've been staring at those all night.

I really like them.

They're $250 here in Canada, which isn't that bad.

I'd probably hold off on dual monitors because with tax it'd be about $600.

Nonetheless, very nice looking monitor (with plenty of inputs too!)

The funny thing is, I've been staring at those all night.

I really like them.

They're $250 here in Canada, which isn't that bad.

I'd probably hold off on dual monitors because with tax it'd be about $600.

Nonetheless, very nice looking monitor (with plenty of inputs too!)

Haha, well there ya go. You just needed someone to push you into buying them. :D

It's a bargain mate!

Haha, well there ya go. You just needed someone to push you into buying them. :D

It's a bargain mate!

Exactly!

I knew it was a great deal, but wasn't sure of it.

But looking into it further, it looks like a great choice!

Exactly!

I knew it was a great deal, but wasn't sure of it.

But looking into it further, it looks like a great choice!

Well I'd love to know how you go with it once you've got it. Just PM me if ya like. :)