Need a PSU for my new Bitfenix Prodigy Build

Tyranade

Hello there :)

So I need some help, I am building a Mini-ITX System with a

• Haswell 4670k (Going to Overclock)
  • Nvidia GTX 770
  • 8-16GB of DDR3 RAM
  • Corsair H100i (Still looking at fans for it too)
  • 1xSSD
  • 1x1TB Hard Disk Drive
  • Asus P8Z87-I Deluxe M-ITX Motherboard (When it gets released)

In my new Black Bitfenix Prodigy but I do not know what Power Supply Unit to go with...

I would like a PSU that is non-modular, 600W+, and be able to handle 2x GTX 770s In SLI, yes I know M-ITX cant do SLI but I might decide in a year I want to buy an ATX Haswell Motherboard and Case and then do some SLI, I want the PSU to cover me incase I decide to expand my computer in the future.

Oh and I will be buying my stuff from http://www.overclockers.co.uk so I need to be able to buy it off of there.

Thanks for your help.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

The AX750 would work well, especially with its gold labelling. It's modular but I don't see why you wouldn't want that. The Prodigy will DEFINITELY benefit from it, since its wires are much, much more noticeable than almost any other case.

I'm curious as to why you want a non-modular power supply? An Antec HCG-750 is a very nice non-modular, bronze certified power supply and quite cheap. However, I would probably look at a Silverstone Gold Evolution 750W for a nice modular power supply.

The AX750 would work well, especially with its gold labelling. It's modular but I don't see why you wouldn't want that. The Prodigy will DEFINITELY benefit from it, since its wires are much, much more noticeable than almost any other case.

I was thinking modular at first but my main concern with it being modular and the way the PSU is in the small area under the motherboard in the Prodigy is will it fit when I start pluging modular cables in, I believe Linus said it can get very tight in the Prodigy for PSU and you should go Non-Modular.But if it fits ill go for it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D | Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360 2023 Edition | Motherboard: Asus X670-P Wi-Fi |  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MT/s

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon 7800XT | PSU: NZXT C1000 | Storage: Corsair MP600 Core XT 2TB | Case: NZXT H7 Flow

CPU-Z Validation

You should consider the Silverstone Strider 140mm variant.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256086

I used this power supply in my Prodigy, worked a charm.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

You should consider the Silverstone Strider 140mm variant.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256086

I used this power supply in my Prodigy, worked a charm.

I'll have a look at that PSU.

What about semi-modular designs?

Blegh as much as I love the Prodigy, this has to be the hardest thing so far to find a PSU for IMO heh

CPU-Z Validation

I was thinking modular at first but my main concern with it being modular and the way the PSU is in the small area under the motherboard in the Prodigy is will it fit when I start pluging modular cables in, I believe Linus said it can get very tight in the Prodigy for PSU and you should go Non-Modular.But if it fits ill go for it.

http://youtu.be/cKIsrwS3fX4?t=3m29s

The AX750, along with many other PSUs (I'd imagine), will fit.

http://youtu.be/cKIsrwS3fX4?t=3m29s

The AX750, along with many other PSUs (I'd imagine), will fit.

How did I not know about that video. Thank you, AX750w it is then :).

Oh I just saw Corsair do an AX760w, as they are the same size with the same modular cables I'll go with that.

CPU-Z Validation

I was able to fit in my other 160mm power supplies, all non-modular.

I have to admit the space was a little cramped once you start cable managing.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

How did I not know about that video. Thank you, AX750w it is then :).

Good luck with your build, we'd love to see it once it's finished.

I was able to fit in my other 160mm power supplies, all non-modular.

I have to admit the space was a little cramped once you start cable managing.

Thats the price you pay for an ITX Build :P.

Good luck with your build, we'd love to see it once it's finished.

I'll try and make a build log, it wont be anything special though I built my person computer when I was 14 (I've built others for friends though recently so new hardware is familiar to me aha :P) aha I'm now nearly 22 so it's been a while since I had a modern personal rig :P

Thanks for all your help.

CPU-Z Validation

Since this is an M-ITX build, here's a list of the components I chose since you will be running one GPU.

• CPU: Haswell 4670k
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX RAM DDR3-1600
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i (yes it's compatible)
  • Case: Prodigy
  • SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
  • HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB HDD
  • MOBO: And your motherboard goes here

Since it's such a small form factor it wont need 600+ wattage.

and all of this is availible at http://www.overclockers.co.uk

you can change the SSD of course since it's kind of an overkill to get 256GB if you're on a low budget of course.

The total I got from their website was Total : £1,068.80 with shipping and VAT but without the motherboard(obviously).

So thing about the build I made above to see if that's something you're interested in getting.

but to answer your question. get teh CX600M and don't spend more money on more wattage you probably wont need.

The Syndicate

I wouldn't go with the CX which is the builder series.. The power delivery has more ripples then the Ax series..

Since this is an M-ITX build, here's a list of the components I chose since you will be running one GPU.

you can change the SSD of course since it's kind of an overkill to get 256GB if you're on a low budget of course.

The total I got from their website was Total : £1,068.80 with shipping and VAT but without the motherboard(obviously).

So thing about the build I made above to see if that's something you're interested in getting.

but to answer your question. get teh CX600M and don't spend more money on more wattage you probably wont need.

I realise my PSU choice is overkill for my Mini-ITX system but like I said before I plan on maybe in a year or so moving up either to an M-ATX or ATX system with SLI so I was thinking it would be better for me to get the PSU now instead of buying another one down the road.

But maybe you are right, since I plan on building a better rig with Custom Liquid Cooling in about a year (while transferring the CPU, GFX Card, RAM, SSD and HDD to my new rig from this one) a smaller PSU now might be fine because my plan was to take the leftover M-ITX parts and build a small home server anyway and that will need a PSU... So I may as well buy a smaller wattage one now instead.

That being said I do like some of your choices, I thought the H80i would be to bulky but I do prefer the look of it though so I will change to that. Also I do like some of your choices such as the WD Green Drive and the SSD as well. :)

Damn aha, it's been so long since I built a PC for ME! I have so many ideas I am confusing myself.

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate all of the help. Now I am just stuck on what 600w or less PSU to get aha x_X.

CPU-Z Validation

Form factor isn't directly proportional to wattage requirements. Since the OP is planning on adding another GPU in the future, I'd recommend at least a 650W PSU.

OK so the line-up for my rig is as follows

• Intel Core i5 3670k
  • Asus Z87I-Deluxe
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM
  • 256GB Samsung 840 SSD
  • 1TB WD Caviar Green HDD
  • Bitfenix Prodigy Black
  • Corsair H80i CPU Cooler
All I need now is a 600-ish Watt PSU for it.

CPU-Z Validation

OK so the line-up for my rig is as follows

• Intel Core i5 3670k
  • Asus P8Z87-I Deluxe
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM
  • 256GB Samsung 840 SSD
  • 1TB WD Caviar Green HDD
  • Bitfenix Prodigy Black
  • Corsair H80i CPU Cooler
All I need now is a 600-ish Watt PSU for it.

What are the chances you will add a second GPU later on?

What are the chances you will add a second GPU later on?

Well my plan is in a year, take the bulk of the components from this computer and build an ATX system with SLI and Liquid cooling and turning the remaining ITX System into a server. So I will be doing it but the ITX system will still need a PSU so I may as well buy it now and buy an SLI ready PSU when I rebuild the system.

I was thinking of getting the Seasonic G Series 650w.

CPU-Z Validation

Well my plan is in a year, take the bulk of the components from this computer and build an ATX system with SLI and Liquid cooling and turning the remaining ITX System into a server. So I will be doing it but the ITX system will still need a PSU so I may as well buy it now and buy an SLI ready PSU when I rebuild the system.

I was thinking of getting the Seasonic G Series 650w.

Seasonic makes great PSU's...

Seasonic makes great PSU's...

Cool I'll be getting that then.

Thanks for all your help guys, Its mucho appreciated :P

CPU-Z Validation

I wouldn't go with the CX which is the builder series.. The power delivery has more ripples then the Ax series..

Duh. The AX is a higher grade series than the CX...

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Duh. The AX is a higher grade series than the CX...

Duh..