Can my phone drive hd 598?

farhanorakzai

HD 598, 50 ohms 112 dB/V requires 13 mW to reach 110dB

Apple Earpods, 23 ohms 109 dB/V requires 55 mW to reach 110dB

Well, my theory is, because the earpods are very much closer to the eardrums (basically blocking the ear holes), it won't have to go as loud as headphones to reach the same perceived loudness, thus it'd only need a fraction of the power to reach the same perceived volume.

I wonder how they measure it though. If it's measured by analog way of a sound meter in a dummy head, then yeah, my theory is entirely wrong.

Well, my theory is, because the earpods are very much closer to the eardrums (basically blocking the ear holes), it won't have to go as loud as headphones to reach the same perceived loudness, thus it'd only need a fraction of the power to reach the same perceived volume.

I wonder how they measure it though. If it's measured by analog way of a sound meter in a dummy head, then yeah, my theory is entirely wrong.

Good point. I feel like they would need to take that into account, otherwise the numbers would be ridiculously useless.

Perhaps from converting impedance to resistance (Z to R) ? Assuming the audio signal is to be calculated as AC. Z got some kind of phase angle or something. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/acohml.html#c1

Just throwing random stuffs tho, I don't really have a clue.

After some thinking: To go from a sine wave to RMS power you need to multiply by sqrt(2)=0,707, or divide by its inverse (1/0,707): 1,414. What you get then is P=(U/1,414)^2/R, which is the same as P=U^2/2R.

MIND=BLOWN

They benefit greatly from an amp. They sound much different (in a bad way) plugged directly into my motherboard as appose to my amp.

can I ask how different they sound?

I looked up the amps used on your motherboard, and depending on gain, the output impedance is between like.. 1000 and 1 they are using a shitty amp, because the only motherboard manufacturer who understands amps is ASRock who uses the great TI NE5532 for their Purity Sound 2 solutions.

here is the spec for yours:

bFjgA82.png

absolutely disgusting.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

@creatip123 Ah I see now, but P=I^2*R is almost never used, because the known values are often voltages and impedance.

What I don't get is that with audio the formula for max output is P=U^2/2R. 

Maybe something to do with 2 sides of the waveform? Dunno, can somebody tell me?

Over 2R? That is news to me. That is not what I read in HA.

I(A), U(V) and R(ohm).

Power = voltage * current

Current = voltage / resistance

So Power = voltage * (voltage / resistance)

In short Power = voltage^2/resistance

Even shorter P=U^2/R

Ahhhhh I see what you meant. I was going for Power = current^2 x R, while you went for the voltage approach, eliminating the current in the formula. 

I go for current and voltage and try not to look at power too much.

The sennheiser hd 598 have a 50 ohm impedance. Can my iPhone 6 plus properly drive them?

Your phone could still have issues. Possibly very high output impedance? High noise floor? etc. Dunno what phone you have. Mine's a crappy phone so... I can hear the noise floor.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Over 2R? That is news to me. That is not what I read in HA.

Look 2 posts above you, there I explain the 2R

Look 2 posts above you, there I explain the 2R

I saw, too tired to care. Plus, I probably won't be able to refute it. You gotta go to HA man.

(No seriously, you should.)

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

@Dark_wizzie what is HA?

HA stands for Hydrogenaudio. That's where all the more objective, technical-orientated people hang out. That apart from NWavguy's blog is where I learned everything I know about impedance, current, voltage, etc. If people bring up anything I can't poke a hole at I just tell them to go to HA and have them sort it out one way or the other.

Headfi Sound Science section is another good place, with people like Bigshot, Steve Eddy, Stv, Heady Injury.

HA stands for Hydrogenaudio. That's where all the more objective, technical-orientated people hang out. That apart from NWavguy's blog is where I learned everything I know about impedance, current, voltage, etc. If people bring up anything I can't poke a hole at I just tell them to go to HA and have them sort it out one way or the other.

Headfi Sound Science section is another good place, with people like Bigshot, Steve Eddy, Stv, Heady Injury.

They need to upgrade their GUI, it looks like something from 2004  :ph34r:

But cool, I'll check the forum out.

Personally don't really like HeadFi, but might check out what the 'Sound Science Section' is about.

They need to upgrade their GUI, it looks like something from 2004  :ph34r:

But cool, I'll check the forum out.

Personally don't really like HeadFi, but might check out what the 'Sound Science Section' is about.

HA is also the official support forum for Foobar.

Sound Science is the island of reason on Headfi,