Overclocking GTX 780, reference cooler.

Hey LTT forum folk!

I recently purchased an entirely new rig, and the centerpiece for the whole build, by a large margin, is my new GTX 780.

What I'm looking for here is GTX 780 overclocking recommendations.

I am a novice overclocker, and so I certainly could use some advice, especially with regards to overvolting, but recommendations for every aspect of the overclock will be taken into account by me for sure, so fire away!

(a specific question: is the 38mv overvolting possible in Precision X safe? Card needs to last 2 or 3 years minimum.)

Im also open to suggestions for good ways to test if the overclock is stable, as well as for identifying artifacts in-game.

Thanks in advance for the help, I certainly am in need of it.

My system, fyi:

Arc Midi R2,

i5 4670k,

EVGA GTX 780 (reference)

MSI G45 z87 mb

samsung 840pro 256GB

8GB 1600MHz ram,

corsair TX 650W

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

Hey LTT forum folk!

I recently purchased an entirely new rig, and the centerpiece for the whole build, by a large margin, is my new GTX 780.

What I'm looking for here is overclocking recommendations.

I am a novice overclocker, and so I certainly could use some advice, especially with regards to overvolting, but recommendations for every aspect of the overclock will be taken into account by me for sure, so fire away!

(a specific question: is the 38mv overvolting possible in Precision X safe? Card needs to last 2 or 3 years minimum.)

Im also open to suggestions for good ways to test if the overclock is stable, as well as for identifying artifacts in-game.

Thanks in advance for the help, I certainly am in need of it.

My system, fyi:

Arc Midi R2,

i5 4670k,

EVGA GTX 780 (reference)

MSI G45 z87 mb

samsung 840pro 256GB

8GB 1600MHz ram,

corsair TX 650W

With the reference blower or any cooling solution, the Boost 2.0 cards are a piece of cake of overclock.  The problem is balancing the temperatures and fan control to regulate your clocks.  So logic says... push the power target to 106, temp target to 94 degrees and fan all the way up right?

Um... not exactly.

In my experience, you can't just ramp up the fan speed to 100 percent because that will effect your power draw.  So what I did to maintain about 1050 to 1100 (in SLI...) was push power target all the way up, and temp target as well.  Then play with your fan curve until a sweet spot where its hitting about 80 degrees and you're not using too much fan power.

Then set your offsets and pray the temperatures are under control.   :)

Sure. you could overvolt... (life cycle aside) that would cause more heat and pull your clocks back a bit because of GPU Boost .2.0 I'd imagine.

I'd say try without overvolting at first.  Just bump up the clock boost 100hz, and the same for the memory and work your up from there by small increments like any other graphics card.

I personally have my 780s underwater, and in Crysis 3 I am hitting 1215mhz on both gpus without throttle with overvolting.  It seems to me in most games, no matter what... 1200 or a little over the max I can get these cards stable, even running relatively cold.  

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific: GPU overclocking recommendations. I'm tinkering with that first for sure. My CPU seems to be a not so great bin because I can't really get it to more than 4.3 GHz (stable) with voltages up to 1.25.

So this topic should focus on the GTX 780.

P.S. I already watched Linus' video on overclocking haswell a few times, enjoyed it, but thanks for the link

Well, this is obviously not the point of this topic, but why the hell do you want to overclock a 780 (almost the best card you could possible have right now) directly after buying it?

I don't know any game that needs so much brute-force power to run 60FPS+ on a GTX 780...

MB: MSI Z77A-GD55 | CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz | RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @1333MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 

Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster B2230H @60Hz | Audio: Creative Aurvana Live! | PSU: SuperFlower 80+ Gold 550 Watt 

OS: ArchLinux + KDE / Windows 8 Pro 64bit | Smartphone: Nexus 4 16GB - CM11

Well, this is obviously not the point of this topic, but why the hell do you want to overclock a 780 (almost the best card you could possible have right now) directly after buying it?

I don't know any game that needs so much brute-force power to run 60FPS+ on a GTX 780...

Why not, free performance. A lot of people use 120Hz monitors.

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

To overclock mine i had set the power target to and temp to max. Then i set the fan curve at the end so it would be at 60/60 and then 70/65. 65 is not very audible at all. At 11xx core i was sitting at a nice 68 - 72c gaming. That was with around 7k memory if i remember correctly. Not at home for exact numbers. The 38mv isn't going to hurt anything. Overclock to your max without it first though.

I usually loop through heaven benchmark and 3dmark for a while for stability. Too many times i've seen furmark and other "burn tests" show no errors and no artifacts but then i crash on those benchmarks. 

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

Same concept as a suped-up car, he probably just want to know he has the power if he needs it. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Here's mine. I don't suggest you copy my settings (gpu clock and mem clock specifically) because every card is different. Work your way up.

Power target: 106% (prioritized)

Temperature Target: 94 degrees

GPU Clock Offset : +190 MHz

Mem Clock Offset: +600MHz

My card's temperature never goes over 70 degrees.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I have mine running with the following settings:

power target 106%

temp target 80

gpu clock offset : 175 - can go higher but I lost my optimized setting after a reinstall and I haven't bothered finding the limit again.

mem clock offset: stock - same as before haven't found the limit yet, but from testing I was unable to gain more fps in games boosting this, so left at stock.

I'm using evga precision

I am just trying to find the limits of my card now, so I know what to aim for later when I may eventually want the performance, but also to run benchmarks now.

Thanks for all the responses, I look forward to tinkering with it until it reaches its full potential. Even if I will normally use it at stock.

I have mine at +170 core and +450 Memory, of course every card is different. Search for titan overclocking guides. that's where I started