temp tips, GTX 770 downclocking limit

noisebomb44
Go to solution Solved by GangstaRas,

at around 80 C is where GPU boost overclocks will throttle back to stock speeds. But the real serious throttling where everything becomes completely unplayable in performance wont come until you hit like 95 C 100 C. But as VincentiusIV said, you dont want to go higher then 75 - 80 degrees

hello, ive recently been exploring a little bit on how to optimize my fan speed, and its been going really well, before i started tinkering my fan speed reached 100% after about 50C, because my outdated bios had some wierd pre-set that loved having the fans at 100%

with my current setup, i run BF4, and warthunder, two very demanding games at max settings, at about 60-62C with 50% fan speed, what do you think i should have the fan speed at for the least sound from my fans, and still keep performance maxed out?

also, what is the limit on a GTX 770 before starts to downclock itself?

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

60 degrees is fairly low under load. You can easily set that fan speed at 30-40%.

Experiment a little, you are the only one who can hear them xD.

You don't want to go higher then 75-80 degrees.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

My 770 runs at 62 with valley benchmark on stock fan curve and is really quiet

If the sounds annoy you, just let it run at like 70-75 c at a lower rpm

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

at around 80 C is where GPU boost overclocks will throttle back to stock speeds. But the real serious throttling where everything becomes completely unplayable in performance wont come until you hit like 95 C 100 C. But as VincentiusIV said, you dont want to go higher then 75 - 80 degrees

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

60 degrees is fairly low under load. You can easily set that fan speed at 30-40%.

Experiment a little, you are the only one who can hear them xD.

You don't want to go higher then 75-80 degrees.

so the limit is at about 75-80 degrees, untill it starts to downclock it self?

also, ive experimented quite a lot, but ive gotten as low as i can without knowing the limit of the graphic cards downclock feature, and the temp where the graphic card melts :P

My 770 runs at 62 with valley benchmark on stock fan curve and is really quiet

If the sounds annoy you, just let it run at like 70-75 c at a lower rpm

but is 70-75 going to decrease my performance? also, my graphic card is a GTX 770 OC from gigabyte, that has 3 fans, which makes it sound loud at even 50%

at around 80 C is where GPU boost overclocks will throttle back to stock speeds. But I think the real serious throttling where everything becomes completely unplayable in performance wont come until you hit like 95 C 100 C. But as VincentiusIV said, you dont want to go higher then 75 - 80 degrees

thanks, i will try to stay at about 70C

also, ive experimented quite a lot, but ive gotten as low as i can without knowing the limit of the graphic cards downclock feature, and the temp where the graphic card melts :P

but is 70-75 going to decrease my performance? also, my graphic card is a GTX 770 OC from gigabyte, that has 3 fans, which makes it sound loud at even 50%

Graphics card won't melt. Most GPU's have a 100 degree celsius limit. Once the card reaches that temperature, the computer will shut itself down to prevent damage. Above 80 degrees the GPU will start throttling itself (downclocking as you called it).

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

thanks, i will try to stay at about 70C

It wont underclock until its like 95 c. Keeping it cool (under 80) will increase lifespan by 200% for every 10 c

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Graphics card won't melt. Most GPU's have a 100 degree celsius limit. Once the card reaches that temperature, the computer will shut itself down to prevent damage. Above 80 degrees the GPU will start throttling itself (downclocking as you called it).

a friend of mine told me that the plastic on their graphic card (stock r9 280x) started to melt before the PC shut itself down, and i know that it was melted, because i saw it, but i dont know if he used a lighter or something but that is highly unlikely

It wont underclock until its like 95 c. Keeping it cool (under 80) will increase lifespan by 200% for every 10 c

is that a myth, or not?

also if it is true, are there going to be a 200% lifespan increase from 70 to 60, or 60 to 50?

a friend of mine told me that the plastic on their graphic card (stock r9 280x) started to melt before the PC shut itself down, and i know that it was melted, because i saw it, but i dont know if he used a lighter or something but that is highly unlikely

is that a myth, or not?

also if it is true, are there going to be a 200% lifespan increase from 70 to 60, or 60 to 50?

Its not a myth, it has to do with degradation

And yes, it will be for 70-60 and 60-50 too

Its not a myth, it has to do with degradation

And yes, it will be for 70-60 and 60-50 too

interesting...