CM 212 Evo thermal paste

FunkyFeatures
Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

@FunkyFeatures

Put a pea-size dot on the center of your cpu, and then mount the cooler. 

4.2ghz, but it's highly dependant on the chip. 

I'd set the voltage to 1.30v and then boot up and run Aida 64 while monitoring temps. If your temps are below 80c, then you can start uping the multipler, if they're above 80c, then lower the voltage until you get the temps below 80c and then up the multiplier. Then, once you've found the highest stable multiplier, slowly lower the voltage until you find the lowest stable voltage. One you believe you have found that point of stability, then run Aida 64 overnight/for an extended period (12+ hours). 

Hey

With the rest of my components probably arriving next week, I wanted to prepare something. But I am worried about something.

How should I apply the thermal paste from the cooler onto the CPU? I ordered a CM 212 Evo, to go together with the i7 4790k.

Also, what would be a good overclock to aim for with that cooler and cpu?

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Does the Hyper 212 Evo come with paste?

If it does, it's likely preinstalled and you should just install the cooler.

If it doesn't come with any, then buy a tube of good paste (maybe Arctic Cooling's MX4 paste), and then just use the paste sparingly. Less is more after a certain point.

Sig under construction.

@FunkyFeatures

Put a pea-size dot on the center of your cpu, and then mount the cooler. 

4.2ghz, but it's highly dependant on the chip. 

I'd set the voltage to 1.30v and then boot up and run Aida 64 while monitoring temps. If your temps are below 80c, then you can start uping the multipler, if they're above 80c, then lower the voltage until you get the temps below 80c and then up the multiplier. Then, once you've found the highest stable multiplier, slowly lower the voltage until you find the lowest stable voltage. One you believe you have found that point of stability, then run Aida 64 overnight/for an extended period (12+ hours). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Does the Hyper 212 Evo come with paste?

If it does, it's likely preinstalled and you should just install the cooler.

If it doesn't come with any, then buy a tube of good paste (maybe Arctic Cooling's MX4 paste), and then just use the paste sparingly. Less is more after a certain point.

It comes with a tube of thermal paste, not preintstalled

You should put a dot of it on the CPU, about the size of an uncooked grain of rice :)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Pretty sure it comes with paste, but not preinstalled

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

See, i feel like the grain of rice is too damn small, while the pea size is too damn big. I mean, a pea compared to the cpu where it needs a thin layer, thats quite a bit.

But an uncooked grain of rice, even if spread out, I think it would barely cover the middle.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

See, i feel like the grain of rice is too damn small, while the pea size is too damn big. I mean, a pea compared to the cpu where it needs a thin layer, thats quite a bit.

But an uncooked grain of rice, even if spread out, I think it would barely cover the middle.

You don't need to cover the whole cpu, and in fact, doing so doesn't really benefit you at all; if anything it would be worse since you'd have a thicker layer in the middle. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Hey

With the rest of my components probably arriving next week, I wanted to prepare something. But I am worried about something.

How should I apply the thermal paste from the cooler onto the CPU? I ordered a CM 212 Evo, to go together with the i7 4790k.

Also, what would be a good overclock to aim for with that cooler and cpu?

A little pea sized dot in the center

Steve

So actually a little smaller than a pea?

yea 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, thanks. Will try and estimate how much smaller by watching videos then.  Thanks for the help

I, personally, like the instructions that Arctic Silver provides on their website.  I'd go for a 4.6Ghz OC. I'm stable at 4.4Ghz on an FX-6300 using the same cooler. Idle temps are 36C and temps under load haven't gone above 59C.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

Fx-6300 @4.4Ghz  -  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  -  Sapphire Dual-X R9 280 @1100/1325mhz  -  16Gb of GSkill Sniper Series Ram @1866mhz  -  EVGA SuperNova G2 750w Psu

I, personally, like the instructions that Arctic Silver provides on their website.  I'd go for a 4.6Ghz OC. I'm stable at 4.4Ghz on an FX-6300 using the same cooler. Idle temps are 36C and temps under load haven't gone above 59C.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

As far as I know, the 4790k gets quite a bit hotter than the FX line :)

I think that website only counts for Arctic thermal pastes. I guess i will try the line down middle technique, if i find it too hot, i might try and reapply. Depends on the amount of thermalpaste left in the tube.

Edited by FunkyFeatures

Yes, the uncooked grain of rice line down the middle has always been my go-to. Every time someone says "pea size" I think god damn, peas are pretty big. I believe it's mostly in reference to the diameter of a pea and not necessarily the volume.

Idk why but the endless TIM size debate always makes me think of this:

http://youtu.be/liIlW-ovx0Y?t=1m16s

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |