Bought a Das Keyboard 4 Professional (MX Blue) Used it for a couple hours AMA I guess if you're interested

Bought a Das Keyboard 4 Professional, if you are looking for a mechanical keyboard I just felt like doing some sort of AMA here so I have a reason to type more on this lovely new keyboard and answer some stuff you new mechanical keyboard buyers need to know about this or any similar keyboard

Helpful optimist by day, Troll by night

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

What's the difference between a mecanical keyboard and a normal one?

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

What's the difference between a mecanical keyboard and a normal one?

the mechanical ones cost 4x more and are much louder, which is bad doe

the mechanical ones cost 4x more and are much louder, which is bad doe

But is there something good about them? Like, comfort, or idk, why are them prefered over the normal ones?

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

But is there something good about them? Like, comfort, or idk, why are them prefered over the normal ones?

Mechanical keyboards last way longer than regular membranes plus they give you a far more satisfying typing or gaming experience over a normal keyboard

Most people prefer Cherry MX reds for gaming because they keys are smooth linear which makes it easier to do rapid tapping

in my case I bought MX Blues which make a satisfying click which makes typing waay better

people also tend to increase typing accuracy and speedwhen using mechanical keyboards

I would say its one of those things that makes life better and you wouldn't switch back ever once you try it but you find it hard to comprehend in the first place 

sort of like buying an ssd to replace a hdd or getting an IPS display to replace a TN, you can still get by without it but having it is so much better

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

Mechanical keyboards last way longer than regular membranes plus they give you a far more satisfying typing or gaming experience over a normal keyboard

Most people prefer Cherry MX reds for gaming because they keys are smooth linear which makes it easier to do rapid tapping

in my case I bought MX Blues which make a satisfying click which makes typing waay better

people also tend to increase typing accuracy and speedwhen using mechanical keyboards

I would say its one of those things that makes life better and you wouldn't switch back ever once you try it but you find it hard to comprehend in the first place 

sort of like buying an ssd to replace a hdd or getting an IPS display to replace a TN, you can still get by without it but having it is so much better

i got one and had to rma it  cuz it was too loud....

i got one and had to rma it  cuz it was too loud....

yeah, each person has their own preference

Perfect thread. I was considering of getting this keyboard.

1. I read and watched a video on youtube that the brown switches are inconsistent throughout the keyboard. Do you find the same with your blues? - link to said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAeAMQJrmx0
  2. Does the protruding aluminium top cuts into your wrist and makes it uncomfortable to use in any way?
  3. Does transferring files through the USB hub give any issues ie. slow input from keyboard while it's transferring ?
  4. Does the volume knob wobble?
  5. I think this is subjective but what do you think of the sleep button placement?
  6. Again subjective, what do you think of the DAS special fonts on the caps?
  7. Is it sexy looking? :P

Thanks BananaNinJa!

Thoughts on key cap quality? Any noticeable excessive wobbles or squeaks, particularly with stabilized keys?

How is the Das 4 versus the DS3? I've narrowed it down to the Das 4 and DS 3 but I'm torn between the two. Ducky's got the cray lighting, but Das has that aluminum body.

How has the customer service of DAS been? And how often have you used the media keys/volume knob?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Perfect thread. I was considering of getting this keyboard.

1. I read and watched a video on youtube that the brown switches are inconsistent throughout the keyboard. Do you find the same with your blues? - link to said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAeAMQJrmx0
  2. Does the protruding aluminium top cuts into your wrist and makes it uncomfortable to use in any way?
  3. Does transferring files through the USB hub give any issues ie. slow input from keyboard while it's transferring ?
  4. Does the volume knob wobble?
  5. I think this is subjective but what do you think of the sleep button placement?
  6. Again subjective, what do you think of the DAS special fonts on the caps?
  7. Is it sexy looking? :P

Thanks BananaNinJa!

1- The switches don't feel inconsistent throughout the keyboard with the exception of the space bar which might be due to the stabilizer

2- Aluminium is neatly cut so you don't need to worry about cuts, plus most of the time you wont touch it unless you are admiring the build quality lol

3- Transferring files and typing doesn't bring any issues, no lag at all

4- Volume knob does not wobble, it's made of metal and the clicky-ness when turning feels great

5- Sleep button is no problem, the button sit flat against the keyboard as opposed to the protruding media keys so it is hard to accidental press the button when brushing by or blind pressing

6- Fonts are fully understandable, no issues here and the font matches the professional look of the keyboard just note the windows key keycap is a das logo instead and keycaps seem to pick up oils easier than my previous kb so it might need a clean every once in a while or maybe get some replacement keycaps that are laser-etched

7- Absolutely sexy! it looks very professional and modest as well unlike those condescending RGB keyboards. The build quality is amazing as well, the thing weights a bit and is really bloody solid. lol even the product label at the bottom of the kb is made of metal! It is deffs a premium product and feels like a premium product.

If you need anything else please ask moreee!

Thoughts on key cap quality? Any noticeable excessive wobbles or squeaks, particularly with stabilized keys?

Keycap quality is pretty good, but it uses printed fonts which seem to fade with finger oils so cleaning is required

Spacebar is real solid there is pretty much no horizontal wobble. other keys like the enter, shift and backspace have tiny tiny wobble but no problem with real world usage so far :)

How is the Das 4 versus the DS3? I've narrowed it down to the Das 4 and DS 3 but I'm torn between the two. Ducky's got the cray lighting, but Das has that aluminum body.

I actually gave up on the LED lighting I wanted when i was going to buy a new keyboard (my argument to myself was that it was another thing that i buy that could go wrong)

the das keyboard is something special in terms of the feel and build quality. that aluminum makes the thing feel like a tank! and the metal volume knob is really nice

So its up to you really (I have a light in my room) so do you want the build quality or the LEDs?

How has the customer service of DAS been? And how often have you used the media keys/volume knob?

Customer service of DAS? well I've had no problems with the keyboard to need to talk to them so I can't say much for that

And I chose this keyboard specifically for that volume wheel/ build quality combination, the thing feels amazing the way it clicks and you can fine tune the volume in games and stuff which makes it fantastic especially since it sits right near my mouse hand

so i would say i use the volume knob and mute button very often, the play/pause and skip buttons doesn't appear to work for every program so I don't use them as often