3960x vs 5820k

is it worth getting a 5820k or should i save up for a 5930k/5960x?

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

For what use case?

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

For what use case?

gaming, light rendering 

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

You would be getting a newer chip-set AFAIK, personally I would go with the 5820K. Make sure you consider what mobo you will need to use as well.

EDIT: Question in title is different from topic...

I would save up and go with the 5960X, I think it is usually the best option to go for the highest tier available/affordable, this way you will not need to upgrade so often.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

You would be getting a newer chip-set AFAIK, personally I would go with the 5820K. Make sure you consider what mobo you will need to use as well.

EDIT: Question in title is different from topic...

I would save up and go with the 5960X, I think it is usually the best option to go for the highest tier available/affordable, this way you will not need to upgrade so often.

i have a 3960x now and am wondering what would be worth the upgrade 

Unless you go 5960X, the other 6-core chips are just that 10% faster than your current one, but considering that they do not overclock that much, it's pretty much the same story. Also for gaming you won't see any benefit from going 5960X, for rendering, yes, but you do it occasionally so I don't know if it justifies its cost. With your set up I wouldn't bother upgrading, epsecially considering the price-tags on DDR4 RAM. It sickens me when I think how much cash I have to spend on 32GB of DDR4 RAM to get my new computer running. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I think you should have done your topic title differently, and also included that info into the actual post.

If you already have a system with a 3960X then I think you will not gain anything significant, basically the only things that you can benefit from are. 1. more cores on the 5960X. 2. New features of X99

Both things will come with a significant price, unless you KNOW for SURE the you NEED those features, then i dont think you actually need any of them. You just would like to have them, like everyone else.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.