Overclocking for Beginners

I would like to start overclocking, but every single tutorial I find seems to be very straitforward (change voltage and multiplier) but I would like to understand how it works and not do a tweak without knowing what is happening.

I have a 3570K,

Thank you for replying

Well to be easy and short.

When you change the voltage, you change how much electricity the processor will receiver.

The multiplier is how much you multiply the clock speed of the unit. (the ghz thingy ;)

Some recourses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_multiplier

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169693

Best regards Zahlio,
Unity asset developer - Game developer (http://playsurvive.com) - Computer Science student

What motherboard do you have? Some motherboards have over clocking programs you can use to automatically over clock your CPU.

Linus also has a i7 Overclocking tutorial which i imagine would be very similar to overclocking your i5 -

Some programs you may want to look into are:

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - http://www.intel.com.au/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Thanks,

I have a GD55 Z77A motherboard from MSI

There are lots of different voltages is Vcore the one i'm supposed to change?

And what is the thing about RAM speed that has to be adjusted?

I had a quick look at the motherboard and it has OC Genie which will make basic over clocking very easy.

Basically all you have to do is press the OC genie button and the system will over clock itself for you.

Heres a video that shows the buttons -

As for really learning how to over clock you will have to do a lot of study and research on several websites until you feel confident that you can over clock for yourself.

I would rather use manual overclocking if possible

I would rather use manual overclocking if possible

Over clocking in a nutshell

Simple overclocking guide:

1. Raise multiplier up slightly

2. Test in Prime95 for 30 mins to see if it crashes.

Intermediate overclocking guide:

1. Raise multiplier up slightly more slightly.

3. On crash increase voltage slightly until crashes stop.

Expert Overclocking guide:

1. Raise multiplier up slightly more slightly.

3. On crash increase voltage slightly until crashes stop.

4. Play around with your "bus speed" and "multiplier" until you get your desired overclock with the lowest voltage you can.

Definitions

1. Multiplier * Bus speed = Total CPU frequency

2. Voltage = Adding more produces more heat but makes it more stable. n.b. Its bad to run your CPU at high voltages for long periods of time.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Would not reccomend going over 1.5 volts @vcore for a beginner. If kept there for longer periods of time your CPU will begin to degrade quicker.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

wait, ok going into ur bios, how would you find the voltage and the multiplier... how would you change that

wait, ok going into ur bios, how would you find the voltage and the multiplier... how would you change that

What motherboard do you have?

Its usually under an "Overclocking" menu.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Would recommend once finding a good OC that you run Prime95 for AT LEAST 24 hours to see if any errors occur to make sure your PC is 100% stable.

P.S. This also applies to GPUs too and all OCing should be stress tested before being used normally.

Would not reccomend going over 1.5 volts @vcore for a beginner. If kept there for longer periods of time your CPU will begin to degrade quicker.
Isn't 1.5v really high?

So I'm going for a 4.3 GHz Clock with around 1.2v a multiiplier of 43 and a bus speed of 100 mhz

I'll prime 95 it during the night to see if it's stable.

What settings do you use for prime 95?

I have personally gone to 1.52. For 99% of people I don't suggest going over 1.5. So yes that's pretty high

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

I have an asus z77 V pro

So I'm going for a 4.3 GHz Clock with around 1.2v a multiiplier of 43 and a bus speed of 100 mhz

Blend is used most often.

Its under "AI Tweaker" on your board.

i would not recommend going over 1.35v- 1.4v for a beginner. i know for a fact that my core i5 2500k can run at 4.8Ghz with 1.38v - 1.42v so anything under 4.5Ghz only needs some where around 1.3v

blend is ok. but if you are not going to overclock your memory(which if you are a biginner you should leave for another day) you don't need blend. which stresses your RAM a lot. if you are trying to see if your CPU is stable then you the max heat thing.

but like Ghost said blend is the one that is used most.

1.2vcore for 4.3 on a 3570k is more than enough. I'd try 1.15vcore first. Could most likely get away with 1.12v.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

what is a safe highest temperature for a 3570k? cause im trying to go 5ghz on it but it goes up around 100c.

"Never invest money you're not willing to lose." -ImplyingImplicati0ns

what is a safe highest temperature for a 3570k? cause im trying to go 5ghz on it but it goes up around 100c.

Try not to go over 75 celcius. 100C is mad, you will burn out your cpu.