United States Navy is using lasers and other cool things

Before we begin - This is a new ship and many things about this ship are still classified from public view, all information is obtained from documents released and interviews about this ship.

The United States Government is launching a new class of carrier code named "Ford Class Carrier". This new carrier is designed to be more efficient and last longer than the current day Nimitz. At the current time the US Navy is building two of these new ships, and they have 10 planned to phase out of the older Nimitz class.

The new carrier class will be fitted with "FEL'S" or  Free-electron laser, these lasers can be fired at 1$ per shot and consumes around 10 Mega watts of power from the ships two nuclear reactors.

Navy_laser_shoots_drone..jpg

The ship will have (an unsaid amount) of IBM COTS or super computers to help the carrier target and calculate decisions to a certain point.

[Will post more when I have a chance] P.S - I realize this information is pulled from Wikipedia, however this is well documented and I'll post more links to other sources very very soon.

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

This is actually old news.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

If i was the captain of one of those ships.. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from yelling "I can't hold all these  F(E)EL'S" when i opened fire..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

sweet

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

What kind of damage does a laser like that inflict?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

Well then...

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

If i was the captain of one of those ships.. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from yelling "I can't hold all these  F(E)EL'S" when i opened fire..

Or more appropriately...

t58gLUI.jpg

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Or more appropriately...

--LazerSnips--

Oh yeah that would be more appropriate^^

I haven't seen that in ages xD

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

What kind of damage does a laser like that inflict?

It can destroy almost any flying object in seconds :D

Edit - What my understanding of this weapon is that it fires an array of electrons in a very tight path at near light speed. These electrons excite the fuel in the aircraft making the fuel unstable and finally explodes :D

Spoiler

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

Heres a picture of what the FEL's can do to a plane

us-laser.jpg

Spoiler

There is already a US Destroyer cruising around with a laser on it. The USS Zumwalt, it launched last year.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/tech/innovation/navy-new-technology/

ship041414.jpg

(this pic is obviously taken before it is completed)

The US is the 2014 laser tag world champion

50052767.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Laser, Laser, Light amplified by simulated emission of radiation, laser.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online