Is it really the truth!

Maheshvara

So, i own a Sony Xperia M2... It's a fantastic phone for my use :D I also did a review here

Around 3rd September i updated it to 4.4.2. It was a smooth update that didn't show many (if any) bugs :D

But, i bought this phone since it was a 2014 phone, and i expected it to get 5.0 (main reason why i didn't go with Alcatel Idol X), since it was supposed to be a huge upgrade over 4.4... I also know that Sony is notorious for being late with their updates, but i personally don't mind waiting 6~ months for it, but not getting it is a different story!

Now, i'm reading that it might not get it...

Now, i'm skeptical towards these claims, but i also know what Sony did with SP... :(

So, what do you guys think O.o

Also, if Sony really doesn't release a 5.0 update for M2, that only will mean that my next phone will NOT be Sony, not matter how big of a fanboy i am (i really am a Sony fanboy), but i like my phones updated! I even rooted my previous Galaxy Ace, but i can't this one (i promised my father that i wouldn't mess with the phone's OS when i asked for it... I'm also afraid of voiding my warranty...)

I doubt that Sony will release an update for a mid-range device. Manufacturers usually only care about their high-end stuff. My Z3 and before that my S4 got all of the updates so far.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I doubt that Sony will release an update for a mid-range device. Manufacturers usually only care about their high-end stuff. My Z3 and before that my S4 got all of the updates so far.

I understand that much, but Android has become a lot less resource greedy, and some of medium range device should also receive the update!

Hell, it's medium range, not low range...

I understand that much, but Android has become a lot less resource greedy, and some of medium range device should also receive the update!

Hell, it's medium range, not low range...

not a flagship = will get the update by the time there is a new version of android or no update.

not a flagship = will get the update by the time there is a new version of android or no update.

True that... I got this update in September, and this phone went on sale on May/June...

What about Moto G O.o It has similar enough specs to M2?

And please don't say it's because of Motorola...

True that... I got this update in September, and this phone went on sale on May/June...

What about Moto G O.o It has similar enough specs to M2?

And please don't say it's because of Motorola...

considering that the M2 has specs of a low-end devices, yes. That and Moto G gets updates.

considering that the M2 has specs of a low-end devices, yes. That and Moto G gets updates.

Nope, i'm quite sure that M2 is a mid-range device... It has very, very similar specs to Moto G (2014), which is a mid range device...

well I have an SP and really waited for it to have kitkat but it didn't happen so i resorted to custom roms.

I think Sony prioritizes the Z phones first when it comes to software updates.

Nope, i'm quite sure that M2 is a mid-range device... It has very, very similar specs to Moto G (2014), which is a mid range device...

Well it has a qHD display, and no real "mid range phone" uses that. Most use 720p.

well I have an SP and really waited for it to have kitkat but it didn't happen so i resorted to custom roms.

I think Sony prioritizes the Z phones first when it comes to software updates.

Yeah... If it continues like this, i'll have to wait for CM to release a stable rom for M2...

Well it has a qHD display, and no real "mid range phone" uses that. Most use 720p.

I still don't see what's up with people bitching about those low res screens??? It's nice and all to have a 1080p/1440p screens, and i would like to have that kind of screen, but qHD is good enough (atleast for my use of games, reading books, browsing, looking at words in dictionaries...), so i don't see what's the problem...

I still don't see what's up with people bitching about those low res screens??? It's nice and all to have a 1080p/1440p screens, and i would like to have that kind of screen, but qHD is good enough (atleast for my use of games, reading books, browsing, looking at words in dictionaries...), so i don't see what's the problem...

I'd much prefer a form of hd, especially considering the g is in the sane price range with a 720p display.

Depends on the manufacturer. Motorola has promised Lollipop update for Moto E, even though it is low-end phone.

Meanwhile, LG or Huawei have NEVER updated their lower end devices and most of them are still sold with heavily skinned Android 4.1 or 4.2. :D