i7-4790K / Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK Temp Issues

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and have found a sustainable solution. Or if I'm on track with my findings.

I recently purchased a GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK mobo and 4790k during black friday, and just installed everything last night. I noticed that out of the box I was getting crazy CPU temps (like 70-80C while opening applications or other basic tasks). I still only have the intel stock fan installed so initially I thought that that might be the issue, but after looking into it I found all these forum posts with people who were having the same problem as me. (I intend to purchase an H100i or something like that soon, it's really not the issue here though)

It looks like Intel posted some information about how to solve the issue.

https://communities.intel.com/message/260210#260210

They seem to say that the MOBO has it's default settings all out of whack. I implemented theses settings last night but I was only hitting a max of 3.4 Ghz (I wasn't able to adjust the core voltage through intel's program for some reason, didn't have time to do it through the bios last night, still this is a bandaid I think for a different issue).

I guess also updating the bios and or reseting the CMOS helps the issue.... I've also read that due to the new heat spreader thingy it might take a few weeks for the spreader to "set in" properly. Someone reported that after a few weeks of use their temps dropped substantially.

I'm going to be trying all these things but I'm antsy at work and was wondering if anyone else had these issues and if you resolved them :/

Take the stock Intel cooler off and throw it away!!! 

there is no reason to have a 4790k chip and a stock cooler 

replace it and then look at the temps 

How can you not have the time to go to the BIOS and adjust the voltage? I mean, it's easier than trying through the Windows and believe me these programs never work right and usually cause more trouble than what was initially. Firstly update your BIOS, then set a manual constant voltage. Now it will be a nice option for you to overclock that processor a bit. Pushing it to 4GHz is easy as pie, but will need to buy yourself a decent cooler first. After doing all of these steps, your computer will be running fine. Don't forget to check for stability with Aida64 or Intel XTU for at least 16-18h. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Take the stock Intel cooler off and throw it away!!! 

there is no reason to have a 4790k chip and a stock cooler 

replace it and then look at the temps 

Yes, I will be getting rid of the stock cooler asap obviously, but I don't believe it to be the issue here. Many people are reporting a bigger problem than this, and keep in mind I haven't implemented any overclocking yet. Out of the box the CPU shouldn't be getting to 90-100C at load even with the stock fan. I was just wondering if anyone else here has experienced this issue.

Yes, I will be getting rid of the stock cooler asap obviously, but I don't believe it to be the issue here. Many people are reporting a bigger problem than this, and keep in mind I haven't implemented any overclocking yet. Out of the box the CPU shouldn't be getting to 90-100C at load even with the stock fan. I was just wondering if anyone else here has experienced this issue.

As I said before, set a constant voltage through the BIOS, problem solved!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

How can you not have the time to go to the BIOS and adjust the voltage? I mean, it's easier than trying through the Windows and believe me these programs never work right and usually cause more trouble than what was initially. Firstly update your BIOS, then set a manual constant voltage. Now it will be a nice option for you to overclock that processor a bit. Pushing it to 4GHz is easy as pie, but will need to buy yourself a decent cooler first. After doing all of these steps, your computer will be running fine. Don't forget to check for stability with Aida64 or Intel XTU for at least 16-18h. 

It was like 2am and literally didn't have time to take the next step, I shouldn't have even mentioned it since I know that's what I need to do. the 4790k has a base clock speed of 4GHz, so I shouldn't need to do any overclocking to hit that speed out of the box. I was hitting 3.4 after implementing the intel dudes fix, which I guess isn't really the point of this post. I'm just seeing if anyone else has had the bigger issue of overheating with this mobo/cpu combo.

on the hyper 212 evo mine @ 4.00 ghz (no turbo) hits around 70 Max TEmps at 100 percent load

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

As I said before, set a constant voltage through the BIOS, problem solved!

I will set that up, but if you look at that thread I linked to you'll see that it's a bigger issue than just a CPU voltage setting. It's well documented at this point that there are larger problems than basic overclocking 101 (which I admit I'm very new to). Thanks for the input though! I'll definitely try that when I get home. 

Still just looking to hear from people who have had this issue with this board specifically

I will set that up, but if you look at that thread I linked to you'll see that it's a bigger issue than just a CPU voltage setting. It's well documented at this point that there are larger problems than basic overclocking 101 (which I admit I'm very new to). Thanks for the input though! I'll definitely try that when I get home. 

Still just looking to hear from people who have had this issue with this board specifically

Yeah and one more thing, dial every relevant setting manually so that the board is not left to do stupid things. Set the core clock, CPU and RAM voltage, LLC, all manually. When you do all that kind of stuff you basically minimize the potential problems by a lot. 

my cousin used a i7 4970k with a stock cooler said it was giving him warnings or something and he was hitting tj max a couple of times he was running stock but we both live in southern California i cant even get close to the temps some people are posting with OC while i'm on stock.settimgs

Just ordered an H100i :D

Hopefully after I reset everything it will work. Are there any good links you guys have to how to properly update your bios (UEFI)? Will using Gigabyte's "app center" thing like do it for me? I downloaded the bios update from their website but I guess I didn't realize that you need to use another tool to install it. Do I make a bootable flash drive or something using a tool or something? 

I'm such a newb...

Just ordered an H100i :D

Hopefully after I reset everything it will work. Are there any good links you guys have to how to properly update your bios (UEFI)? Will using Gigabyte's "app center" thing like do it for me? I downloaded the bios update from their website but I guess I didn't realize that you need to use another tool to install it. Do I make a bootable flash drive or something using a tool or something? 

I'm such a newb...

You can do it with @BIOS. Select updating from file and it will be fine. Just let the installation go through and boot.

As for the original problem. Its known issue with Gigabytes Z97 boards. On first boot the voltages will spike when settings are left to auto. With stock cooler temps should be 45-55C while idle/low loads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have the 4790k and i get about 85c 100% load with a AIO water cooler kit OCed to 4.4GHz but i do live in australia where its hot, i tried to get to 4.6GHz but temps get way to high for me so i just leave it at 4.4GHz.

I have the 4790k and i get about 85c 100% load with a AIO water cooler kit OCed to 4.4GHz but i do live in australia where its hot, i tried to get to 4.6GHz but temps get way to high for me so i just leave it at 4.4GHz.

I am in the same situation but I am running a 212 Evo I got to around 83 with 100% but I think my voltage was a lot lower than most I live in southern California gets really hot here also