wd elements external to internal

corwera

i have a Western Digital Elenements HDD 3tb external. i find the fact that i have to use USB ports and a connection on my power output to use it, so i removed the plastic case like in the video i linked at the bottom (i have not removed the logic/control board). placed it in my case and connected it, but my computer cannot find it. i can feel on the HDD that the disk are spinning but it can't be found whatsoever not even in disk management. the HDD itself is model wd30ezrx

i use an ASUS p9p67 pro MOBO

any help?

ps: i know i have voided my warranty and i don't care ;)

link:

Try a different SATA cable and a different SATA port.

I have one of these drives, maybe I'll put it in my PC :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Make sure that you've connected the SATA cable correctly.

ty for quick reply!

they are.

Try a different SATA cable and a different SATA port.

I have one of these drives, maybe I'll put it in my PC :P

have tried different ones. even switched with other drives that the pc can find.

so far i wouldn't recommend it ;P

Check BIOS for SATA/IDE Settings enable 

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

i have a Western Digital Elenements HDD 3tb external. i find the fact that i have to use USB ports and a connection on my power output to use it, so i removed the plastic case like in the video i linked at the bottom (i have not removed the logic/control board). placed it in my case and connected it, but my computer cannot find it. i can feel on the HDD that the disk are spinning but it can't be found whatsoever not even in disk management. the HDD itself is model wd30ezrx

Check the BIOS first and see if it's recognized in there. 

"Rawr XD"

Check BIOS for SATA/IDE Settings enable

As such?

post-161286-0-91689600-1417545336_thumb.

Check the BIOS first and see if it's recognized in there. 

it doesnt

it doesnt

Make sure your SATA cables are correctly plugged in, as well as SATA power. Try unplugging the SATA data and power cables connected to your DVD drive and using them too hook up this drive, since those are confirmed to be working.

"Rawr XD"

Make sure your SATA cables are correctly plugged in, as well as SATA power. Try unplugging the SATA data and power cables connected to your DVD drive and using them too hook up this drive, since those are confirmed to be working.

dat worked, ty! it says i have to format the drive first, is there any way of getting around that? if i cancel the formatting, it says:

"E:/ is not accessible.

the colume does not contain a recognized file system.

please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

sounds like i need to get thte drivers manually from WDs site?

dat worked, ty! it says i have to format the drive first, is there any way of getting around that? if i cancel the formatting, it says:

please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

Disk Management formatting sucks. Try something like a free Partitioning software for windows, and if that doesn't work, get a live Linux USB with GParted (easiest is Ubuntu) and use that

"Rawr XD"

Of course you have to format it. The drive would have no file system, and you need one to use it.

Disk Management formatting sucks. Try something like a free Partitioning software for windows, and if that doesn't work, get a live Linux USB with GParted (easiest is Ubuntu) and use that

What's wrong with that? I know, Disk Management has some issues but I never thought formatting was one of them. I still use Disk Management when I can, it's just better than GParted when working with NTFS volumes.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

What's wrong with that? I know, Disk Management has some issues but I never thought formatting was one of them. I still use Disk Management when I can, it's just better than GParted when working with NTFS volumes.

Eeh, I've had lots of issues with Disk Management and other native Windows utilities failing to partition disks and stuff, which was solved by formatting (sometimes re-partitioning or recreating partition table) with Gparted

"Rawr XD"

Eeh, I've had lots of issues with Disk Management and other native Windows utilities failing to partition disks and stuff, which was solved by formatting (sometimes re-partitioning or recreating partition table) with Gparted

I've never had any. But you've probably done that a lot more times than me.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I've never had any. But you've probably done that a lot more times than me.

Yeah I go through way too many drives. Can't make up my mind on a balance between speed, age, and capacity

"Rawr XD"

As such?

Change it from IDE to SATA or another option

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Yeah I go through way too many drives. Can't make up my mind on a balance between speed, age, and capacity

i get the errormessage "this disk is in MBR format, so the disk will be limited to 2TB" somehow i only have 768gb extra of unused spaced (cant be allocated) on the disk. any help?

i get the errormessage "this disk is in MBR format, so the disk will be limited to 2TB" somehow i only have 768gb extra of unused spaced (cant be allocated) on the disk. any help?

Then make a 2 TB partition + a 1TB partition

"Rawr XD"

Then make a 2 TB partition + a 1TB partition

I cant. At its current format (mbr), only 2.13 tb can be used. I need to reformat the drive to GPT format. Google says it must be done by booting in UEFA etc... Will do tomorrow. Ty for your help earlier !