HTPC on the cheap

sirtoby

Hey there, 

I decided that I need an HTPC. I set my budget on around 200€ excluding Hard drives and the power supply. Here are the parts I ordered:

APU: AMD A6-7400K This will allow for some nice overclocking and it will be powerful enough for 1080p steam in home streaming.

Case: Zalman HD501 Atx htpc case. Does look nice. Got it for cheap on black friday.

Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 2000MHz 2x2GB kit Went for the fastest 4GB dual channel kit there was at that store.

Motherboard: MSI A78-G41 pcMate Does all the necessary things: HDMI output, atx form factor, allows overclocking, cheap.

Some extensions since the case has a rather strange layout.

The parts I still had at home.

HDD: WD blue 1TB, WD green 2TB

PSU: Liteon 300W from an hp prebuilt. It's shit but it works. Will be replaced with a superflower psu later.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Your memory doesn't need to be that fast. If you're doing in-home streaming, you wanna make sure that the network is good (I recommend Gigabit ethernet). Otherwise it's pretty good.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Your memory doesn't need to be that fast. If you're doing in-home streaming, you wanna make sure that the network is good (I recommend Gigabit ethernet). Otherwise it's pretty good.

I know, but I went for fast memory anyway. I want to run some emulators (N64, GC, PS2) and those need all the graphics horsepower that the Apu can deliver.

I know, but I went for fast memory anyway. I want to run some emulators (N64, GC, PS2) and those need all the graphics horsepower that the Apu can deliver.

Oh, ok. Then definitely try overclocking the GPU part. GPU overclocking scales very well.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Quick update: The case arrived and it was packaged in soft foam. I can hear Linus heavy breathing from here  ;). Also, I'll be getting a new motherboard tomorrow. Will be the exact same model as previously but hopefully without the coil whine.