How reliable is your AIO? Swiftech H220 isn't very good

So my Swiftech H220 pump has just failed for the 3rd time. The first time was a few days after i bought and installed it. I sent the whole thing back and got a replacement.

About 4 months after that, the pump failed again. After talking with Swiftech support, we figured maybe i had it plugged in wrong, but they honored the (i think it was) 1 year manufacturers warranty and had me send it back to them. When the unit returned, they'd modified the pump with a SATA power plug coming out of it so it could be plugged right into the power supply, but it still had a fan header that allowed for pump speed control.

Well here we are 7 months later and the pump has failed again.

My very first build had a Corsair H50 that lasted about 2 years before pump failure. 

So i want to know from those of you who've used AIO coolers....have yours been as unreliable as mine? Was my initial H50's life of 2 years about average or was that short too? And mainly, have you had problems with a Swiftech AIO cooler?

Windows 10 | AMD FX-8350 @4.6GHz | BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 | 16Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866 | MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb | Corsair HX750 | NZXT Source 530 case | Logitech G710+ keyboard | Logitech G500s mouse | Saitek X52 Joystick and Throttle | Saitek ProFlight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR

not gonna vote cus It hasn't died yet, but my H110 makes a grinding sound every now and then and sometimes becomes really loud till I reboot and change the pump speed

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I had an AIO (I believe a H50) in my first rig that I got as a trade with a friend. And I hated it so much, it was really loud and sucked in all sorts of dust (Shitty case) So ever since I've been a big fan of the enthusiast air coolers. So if you are actually going to actually pick up a new cooler I highly recommend the Dark Rock Pro 3, it cools my 8350 OC'd to 4.7 phenomenally 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

not gonna vote cus It hasn't died yet, but my H110 makes a grinding sound every now and then and sometimes becomes really loud till I reboot and change the pump speed

i edited the poll for people in your situation LoL, you're luckier than me! but that doesnt sound good though. i was thinking of going with the H110

Windows 10 | AMD FX-8350 @4.6GHz | BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 | 16Gb G.Skill DDR3 1866 | MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4Gb | Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb | Corsair HX750 | NZXT Source 530 case | Logitech G710+ keyboard | Logitech G500s mouse | Saitek X52 Joystick and Throttle | Saitek ProFlight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR

i edited the poll for people in your situation LoL, you're luckier than me! but that doesnt sound good though. i was thinking of going with the H110

it's a good AIO, but I'd go for an H105 instead, just for the LED's and SP120L fans

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I had an AIO (I believe a H50) in my first rig that I got as a trade with a friend. And I hated it so much, it was really loud and sucked in all sorts of dust (Shitty case) So ever since I've been a big fan of the enthusiast air coolers. So if you are actually going to actually pick up a new cooler I highly recommend the Dark Rock Pro 3, it cools my 8350 OC'd to 4.7 phenomenally

yea my H50 was really loud too. I've made an emergency cooler swap back to my trusty Hyper 212 Evo and threw on one of my Noctua NF-F12s, but that dark rock pro 3 is sexy looking!! good to hear it works well, thanks!

it's a good AIO, but I'd go for an H105 instead, just for the LED's and SP120L fans

I'll have to look that one up real quick....i've not heard of it.

so are the newer dual fan Corsair AIOs fairly reliable and/or long lasting? i've been skeptical of them ever since my crappy H50.

This may be just the thing that kicks me over the edge to do a custom loop

I'll have to look that one up real quick....i've not heard of it.

so are the newer dual fan Corsair AIOs fairly reliable and/or long lasting? i've been skeptical of them ever since my crappy H50.

This may be just the thing that kicks me over the edge to do a custom loop

H100/H100i has a pretty amazing reputation, and i've seen some pretty smechsy builds with H105's.

I'd say go for it, Corsair customer support is great also. (went on vacation after building my PC and forgot to register :P)

yea my H50 was really loud too. I've made an emergency cooler swap back to my trusty Hyper 212 Evo and threw on one of my Noctua NF-F12s, but that dark rock pro 3 is sexy looking!! good to hear it works well, thanks!

Yeah, I have really good temps as well. Idle at 28 and underload the highest it's ever gotten was 55. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I am currently using the H75 and so far (12 months in) it has worked very well. Completely silent ann does a very good job of keeping the i5 4670k nice and cool overclocked at a 4.2ghz

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

Yeah, I have really good temps as well. Idle at 28 and underload the highest it's ever gotten was 45.

WOW! with an 8350 @ 4.7? nice...that's pretty impressive. how tall is your ram though? i've got two G.Skill Ripjaws X sticks in mine and i'm wondering about clearance with the Dark Rock Pro 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231527

I am currently using the H75 and so far (12 months in) it has worked very well. Completely silent ann does a very good job of keeping the i5 4670k nice and cool overclocked at a 4.2ghz

glad to hear it! i'd pretty much given up on single fan AIO coolers after my H50.

I like AIO coolers because they're more of a Plug and Play liquid cooling option. But they're not very P&P when they keep failing and you have to remove and re-install it 6 times in the span of just over a year total.

WOW! with an 8350 @ 4.7? nice...that's pretty impressive. how tall is your ram though? i've got two G.Skill Ripjaws X sticks in mine and i'm wondering about clearance with the Dark Rock Pro 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231527

If you installed your RAM in slots 3 and 4 on your board you should be fine, considering you can raise and lower the height of the outer fan

If you installed your RAM in slots 3 and 4 on your board you should be fine, considering you can raise and lower the height of the outer fan

my motherboard manual says if i have 2 sticks to install them in slots 2 and 4 for dual channel mode :/

h105 is good , make sure it will fit in your case though.

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

h105 is good , make sure it will fit in your case though.

yea i literally just finished watching the LTT video about the H105 from february this year when you posted just now. it looks great and seems like what i'm looking for. I'm with Luke though in his conclusions about the cooler, i want the dual 140s of the H110, the thickness of the H105 and the tech and software of the H100i. That'd be a pretty killer cooler

my motherboard manual says if i have 2 sticks to install them in slots 2 and 4 for dual channel mode :/

You should still be able to use the Dark Rock Pro 3 if you adjust the outer most fan on the heatsink, it's pretty easy to do as it's just 2 fan clips you have to adjust.

You should still be able to use the Dark Rock Pro 3 if you adjust the outer most fan on the heatsink, it's pretty easy to do as it's just 2 fan clips you have to adjust.

good to know!...that thing is so good looking! 

good to know!...that thing is so good looking! 

I love it, and it keeps everything nice and cool.

glad to hear it! i'd pretty much given up on single fan AIO coolers after my H50. 

I have two fans in place in push pull ... was going to try single fan and see how that compared at some point.

This cooler has performed better than I expected, I was going to drop it for an XSPC kit, but I will hang on for a while longer

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

I have two fans in place in push pull ... was going to try single fan and see how that compared at some point.

This cooler has performed better than I expected, I was going to drop it for an XSPC kit, but I will hang on for a while longer

have you seen the old Linus vid on push/pull/push pull? its what made me run my Noctuas both in pull on my H220 this whole time. I think the best benefit was the dust...or lack thereof. Its been running for 7 months and the rad has virtually no dust and the fans weren't even coated completely. what dust was on the fans was just the tiniest little bit. 

this is the vid i was talking about: 

and i happened to find this while i was searching for that other one: 

have you seen the old Linus vid on push/pull/push pull? its what made me run my Noctuas both in pull on my H220 this whole time. I think the best benefit was the dust...or lack thereof. Its been running for 7 months and the rad has virtually no dust and the fans weren't even coated completely. what dust was on the fans was just the tiniest little bit.

Thats interesting. I have been running the push/pull because its a 120 rad, if it was a 240 I would run the fans in pull only. I am going to try removing the push fan and see if there are an changes in the temps, idle and under load. I will report back.

Thanks for the vids, interesting watching. I have seen the first one, but a while ago and had forgotten about it.

Cheers

i ran 3 original H100s for 3yrs (no issues), 2 H100i (no issues) for a bit over a

year, Tt water extreme 2.0 just over a year (pumps clicking), H70 for 4 months

(pump clicking), H220 for 2weeks- 1weeks -3weeks and in a closet (bad pumps),

H105 for 6 months (no issues), H80i for a bit over a year (no issues).

i feel your pain for the H220. not worth the investment of time and patients.

i ran 3 original H100s for 3yrs (no issues), 2 H100i (no issues) for a bit over a

year, Tt water extreme 2.0 just over a year (pumps clicking), H70 for 4 months

(pump clicking), H220 for 2weeks- 1weeks -3weeks and in a closet (bad pumps),

H105 for 6 months (no issues), H80i for a bit over a year (no issues).

i feel your pain for the H220. not worth the investment of time and patients.

wow! so maybe its not just my H220? and damn! you've gone through a lot of AIOs....which one has been your favorite?

OK, I removed the push fan and the temps have jumped a little. I was idling at 24 to 27 across the cores and maxing out at 46 to 49. On one fan it is idling at 32 to 35 and maxing at 52 to 57. For now, until I have a bigger rad I will stick with push pull.

The dust build up hasn't been much in the last 10 months, a quick squirt of air and it's almost as good as new

OK, I removed the push fan and the temps have jumped a little. I was idling at 24 to 27 across the cores and maxing out at 46 to 49. On one fan it is idling at 32 to 35 and maxing at 52 to 57. For now, until I have a bigger rad I will stick with push pull.

The dust build up hasn't been much in the last 10 months, a quick squirt of air and it's almost as good as new

wow thats a significant difference. as long as you have a pull fan on there, there shouldnt be much dust.

cool little experiment!