What would you upgrade?

Hatchet

Good evening LinusTech community!

As it is my first post, I'd like to say "Hello" to all of you. Hope you're having a good time!.

Currently I am thinking of upgrading something on my rig, but I am not quite sure what. I am stuck between a new CPU and a new graphics card. 

Currently I run:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40 GHz

GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti, 4GB.

The rig still runs fine (games and other programs run smoothly), but I do expect this system to show it's age soon. 

If you really had to, what would you upgrade? Would you get a new CPU (if so, which one?) or a new GPU (if so, which one?)?

Cheers,

Hatchet

PS: forgive me for the lack of more information, as I am currently unsure what else I could include here.

I would go with a new GPU, since the CPU still packs quite a punch, you could always overclock it too. But I would upgrade to a newer GPU like a GTX 970 or if you want to wait for AMD's R9 300 series which are coming I believe early next year.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Welcome to the forum!

I would upgrade the GPU since that CPU is still very powerful.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

Thanks for the fast replies.

I'd like to stick with nVidia, as I was born and raised with it (sort of). Any preferences in a manufacturer then? Mine is from EVGA, but I've heard that things like MSI are better at cooling, making it more easy for the GPU to squeeze out more power.

Cheers,

Hatchet

Thanks for the fast replies.

I'd like to stick with nVidia, as I was born and raised with it (sort of). Any preferences in a manufacturer then? Mine is from EVGA, but I've heard that things like MSI are better at cooling, making it more easy for the GPU to squeeze out more power.

Cheers,

Hatchet

Gigabyte, MSI, Asus (to a point), EVGA. All are good. Right now EVGA makes killer 970s so go for that.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Definitely GPU, That CPU is just one gen old and not much has happened in terms of performance. I think the 4690k is like ~10% more powerful? The GPU side on the other hand have had alot happening. A 970 would probably be my choice at this time. Hope it helps

Why would you listen to me? I'm just some random guy on the internet!

Alright folks, thanks for the advice! Think I'll start saving for a new GPU (GTX 970) then.

Bacon for everyone!

Cheers,

Hatchet

Alright folks, thanks for the advice! Think I'll start saving for a new GPU (GTX 970) then.

Bacon for everyone!

Cheers,

Hatchet

Remember that new GPUs could come soon! Maybe tomorrow the GTX 970 is not the king of GPUs anymore, so keep saving but make some good research before spending.

SSDs, or more SSDs.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Assuming this is for gaming, I'd swap out the 660 with a Asus Strix 970, as the CPU will be fine for a little longer, and CPUs don't do a lot of work for games, just sending info to the GPU to process.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Assuming this is for gaming, I'd swap out the 660 with a Asus Strix 970, as the CPU will be fine for a little longer, and CPUs don't do a lot of work for games, just sending info to the GPU to process.

Msi's 970 is better imo. Comparable cooling at a lower price.

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k l Mobo: msi z97 pcmate l GPU: MSI Gtx 970 4gb OC l PSU: CM V550 l RAM: RipJaws 8gb l Case: NZXT H440 l Cooling: CM Hyper 212x l Storage: Crucial mx100 128gb ssd l OS: Windows 7 l Keyboard: CM storm quickfire ultimate(Blue) l Mouse: Razor Mamba l Display: Some shitty samsung monitor

Good evening LinusTech community!

As it is my first post, I'd like to say "Hello" to all of you. Hope you're having a good time!.

Currently I am thinking of upgrading something on my rig, but I am not quite sure what. I am stuck between a new CPU and a new graphics card. 

Currently I run:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40 GHz

GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti, 4GB.

The rig still runs fine (games and other programs run smoothly), but I do expect this system to show it's age soon. 

If you really had to, what would you upgrade? Would you get a new CPU (if so, which one?) or a new GPU (if so, which one?)?

Cheers,

Hatchet

PS: forgive me for the lack of more information, as I am currently unsure what else I could include here.

I would get a new GPU but wait till the Christmas sales start, if u live in Australia there is a place called PCCG and they have some good deals

Msi's 970 is better imo. Comparable cooling at a lower price.

If you use your computer for more than just gaming the 0 rpm features on the strix are pretty invaluable. 

The MSI has a much higher power limit than the STRIX so if you can get past the ugly red colors then its a great pick. It also turns off the fans on idle.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

The MSI has a much higher power limit than the STRIX so if you can get past the ugly red colors then its a great pick. It also turns off the fans on idle.

i happen to find the design sexy as a mofo. That dragon tho

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k l Mobo: msi z97 pcmate l GPU: MSI Gtx 970 4gb OC l PSU: CM V550 l RAM: RipJaws 8gb l Case: NZXT H440 l Cooling: CM Hyper 212x l Storage: Crucial mx100 128gb ssd l OS: Windows 7 l Keyboard: CM storm quickfire ultimate(Blue) l Mouse: Razor Mamba l Display: Some shitty samsung monitor