Win7-PC keeps freezing and screen goes black

krown39

Hello,

So I built a PC for my dad about a week ago and everything was running fine. I installed a few games and movies and made sure everything was working. However, when he started using it (general purpose, YouTube, email, a few games) he noticed that it would randomly freeze and the screen would go black; requiring a manual restart. Typically, the computer will crash twice in the span of six to eight hours and the crashes can be consecutive. The PC is hooked up to his HDTV, if that is of relevance, and the graphic card driver is up to date. I'm not the most tech savvy so I do not want to update the bios in fear of causing further problems. Also, the screen saver is disabled and the power management is set to balanced (by default). Also, the screen is set to never turn off nor enter sleep mode.

Thanks,

System specs

Mobo- Asus P8B75-M

CPU- Intel 3220

GPU-HIS 7770

Ram-XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

PSU-Corsair CX 500

Case- Bitfenix Alpha Merc

Could be a heating issue, are you sure the heatsink for hte CPU is correctly placed on the motherboard?

Could be a heating issue' date=' are you sure the heatsink for hte CPU is correctly placed on the motherboard?[/quote']

For CPU cooling I am using the stock cooler that came with the chip. As for placement, the company I bought the CPU from placed it themselves. Like NCIX, I paid them an extra $50 to build it for me. Also, I had the computer running for about six hours straight playing deus ex:HR, Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 and the computer never froze then. The times it has frozen, are when my dad is watching videos on Youtube or playing some online checkers/chess game on the internet. He also plays a lot of flight sims and it has never frozen then either.

Maybe the operating system fault. You could use system restore to restore previous version of Win7 when it didn't occur. How? Type system restore in search bar and hit enter when you find it. Than wait 30 second I guess to load and click then on the recommended restore point. And Windows will than restore to its previous image of the OS. It will keep all the docs and personal files but programs that you installed will be deleted, so backup important data if you do this for the first time. If it didn't help maybe its one of your hardware part(s) that did go wrong.

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

I found out what it was. I didn't know this, but when installing a new AMD driver you have to manually erase the old one or there will be problems.