Windows 8.1 Takes FOREVER to install.

Hello, I had Ubuntu 14.10 installed on my computer, but when I decided I wanted to install Windows 8.1 through USB (Created a media file on another PC), booting times and installation for the OS takes a ridiculous amount of time. It takes about an hour just to get to the first install page after the blue windows logo. After it gets through that and it goes to install to the HDD, it does about 1% every 15 minutes.

All help is really appreciated!

Specs:

AMD X4 9150e

PNY 560Ti

4Gb DDR2

7200rpm 150Gb HDD

500W OCZ PSU

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

Check if your HDD have some problems

i think it will mostly be fragmentation

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

It didn't have any problems on Ubuntu, and I don't have another desktop to hook it up to to defragment it. Unless just wiping it with DBAN works. :P

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

• 2 weeks later...

maybe your install disk is junk

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Are you sure the 8.1 installation you have atm, is not corrupted? Also, did you try using another usb port for the installation? You could be using a usb1.0 port , which is very slow and doesn't sound too useful for this kind of installation.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

The install disc worked fine, and I used a 2.0 port. I thought the problem before I used USB was the CD Drive, so I switched, but got the same issues. I'm getting new components on Christmas, so I'll be getting rid of my 1.8Ghz processor and upgrade to the 6350, and some proper memory (16Gb). Don't really have any motive to try again, although I have a couple times since posting this. I tried a new disc, did a performance test on the USB through Ubuntu (2.5Mb/s), and even defragged the drive using a friends computer. I'll probably buy a new HDD and then wipe this one with DBAN and use it as a games drive for Steam. Thanks for the recommendations, but I think this computer is just too old :)

Note: The drive had Windows Vista installed on it before I accuired it, so that's why I defragged. Not completely pointless.