Beat OS choice for new PC

Hi

In the next week or so, once parts arrive, I'll be putting together a new PC.

So all the hard choices on what parts to get have been made but now it's time for possibly the hardest.

What OS do I install?

As a student I can get Windows 8.1 Pro for around $70 AUD and then I'm assuming Win 10 Pro for the same price when it's released (or free depending on rumours)

Other options are installing Windows 10 technical preview and getting windows 10 when it is released.

Or even having a go at Steam OS until Win 10 comes out.

Or if you have any other suggestions please let me know

However I'm a fan of Windows 8.1 so I won't be reverting back to 7, in saying that I can understand why some people don't like 8.

Also I will have a 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, which drive should I put the OS on? Obviously SSD, but if I'm going to be doing a fresh install of 10 when it is released would it be better for SSD life to put the temporary OS on the HDD?

Things to considered are that I have a laptop with 8.1 on it which I can still use for uni and general productivity, leaving mostly gaming for the new PC. At least till 10 comes out.

Thanks

I'd get Windows 8, and I would put it on the SSD. It should be fine :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I currently do not recommend installing the preview, and steamos is still in beta(maybe alpha?). So windows 8.1 is the best option. With the knowledge that you will be upgrading in the future, it still would be a better idea to install windows on the ssd and everything that you need to keep on the hdd. Applications are easy to get back, minus some new games. 

Hi

So all the hard choices on what parts to get have been made but now it's time for possibly the hardest.

What OS do I install?

As a student I can get Windows 8.1 Pro for around $70 AUD and then I'm assuming Win 10 Pro for the same price when it's released (or free depending on rumours)

Other options are installing Windows 10 technical preview and getting windows 10 when it is released.

However I'm a fan of Windows 8.1 so I won't be reverting back to 7, in saying that I can understand why some people don't like 8.

Also I will have a 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD, which drive should I put the OS on? Obviously SSD, but if I'm going to be doing a fresh install of 10 when it is released would it be better for SSD life to put the temporary OS on the HDD?

Thanks

I never knew you could get windows cheap if you are a student in Australia.

We're would I get that from since I am a student myself In Australia?

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

I never knew you could get windows cheap if you are a student in Australia.

We're would I get that from since I am a student myself In Australia?

Straight from Microsofts website, I'll try and find the link

Straight from Microsofts website, I'll try and find the link

Ok thanks

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

Hi

What OS do I install?

Things to considered are that I have a laptop with 8.1 on it which I can still use for uni and general productivity, leaving mostly gaming for the new PC. At least till 10 comes out.

Thanks

FYI, just incase you didn't know. Because Windows 10 is just the Technical Preview it actually has a KEylogger. so its not recommend to use it as a your Daily Driver. Also read on one Tech Website where it took them 9 hours to install it!!! 

Should Install Windows 95. ;)

Haha; well would be better than installing vista, as I do have some disks for that which came free with an xp computer but I didn't upgraded due to all the negative reviews it got.

FYI, just incase you didn't know. Because Windows 10 is just the Technical Preview it actually has a KEylogger. so its not recommend to use it as a your Daily Driver. Also read on one Tech Website where it took them 9 hours to install it!!!

OK I installed it on my laptop in a virtual machine and it didn't take long.

Not 100% sure with the key logging thing, I'm guessing it keeps a record of the keys you press and therefore passwords and other secure info?

OK I installed it on my laptop in a virtual machine and it didn't take long.

Not 100% sure with the key logging thing, I'm guessing it keeps a record of the keys you press and therefore passwords and other secure info?

oh nice. They mustn't of known what they were doing  :P

Correct. It'll log every key you press. So if, and I'd highly doubt it, but if Microsoft or someone got access to the Keylogged data they'd be able to find any Usernames or passwords entered. Its nothing major tbh. Just a heads up

oh nice. They mustn't of known what they were doing :P

Correct. It'll log every key you press. So if, and I'd highly doubt it, but if Microsoft or someone got access to the Keylogged data they'd be able to find any Usernames or passwords entered. Its nothing major tbh. Just a heads up

OK Thanks, that's definitely something I'll keep in mind.

oh nice. They mustn't of known what they were doing  :P

it monitors what you do in windows, like when you snap a windows to the side it pops up going 

"how easy did you find it to snap the windows" or something similar.

It's like when people saw in the Facebook messenger app that it can "use camera without your permission" and everyone went crazy over it. really it just meant when you click the camera button it doesn't need to ask you first (which would be mega annoying).

as for the topic, 100% windows 8.1. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

it monitors what you do in windows, like when you snap a windows to the side it pops up going 

"how easy did you find it to snap the windows" or something similar.

It's like when people saw in the Facebook messenger app that it can "use camera without your permission" and everyone went crazy over it. really it just meant when you click the camera button it doesn't need to ask you first (which would be mega annoying).

Oh sweet. Thanks for the clarification I wasn't actually sure myself. 

Oh sweet. Thanks for the clarification I wasn't actually sure myself. 

can't say for sure that it isn'y stealing key strokes, however I highly doubt M$ would make it so intrusive. That would be a million dollar law suite in the making

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

OK thanks, I think that's the route I'll take and hope Microsoft offers free upgrades to 10, but I doubt it.