New Wii U Gamecube adapter and controller window opener?

ThatFatMan1911

So do you think that with the new Gamecube adapter and controller for the Wii U might be a window opener for future (maybe) remastered Gamecube games like Super Mario Sunshine? I would love to see that game again...especially in 1080p...

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

I think Nintendo should take the clue and do what Sony has done with their gamepads. The pro controller looks like a 360 gamepad knock off. Ninty should use the Gamecube controller and start basing their new controls around that. No gimmicks, make a solid controller that'd only get better with each generation. 

I think Nintendo should take the clue and do what Sony has done with their gamepads. The pro controller looks like a 360 gamepad knock off. Ninty should use the Gamecube controller and start basing their new controls around that. No gimmicks, make a solid controller that'd only get better with each generation. 

umm... what? That doesn't make any sense at all. The Pro controller is literally the most paired back and gimmick free controller for any of the current-gen consoles. It's just two sticks, the six standard face buttons, four triggers, D-Pad and rumble. That's it. You'd rather them do "less gimicks" and model their controller after the DualShock 4? You know, the one with the motion controls, light bar and touchpad? The only feature the Wii U Pro Controller has that the DualShock 4 doesn't is a 60% bigger battery capacity. What's wrong with taking the 360 controller, one of the best general-gaming controllers ever made, and giving it crazy battery life and a better D-Pad? This is a bad thing? Better than trying to convince everyone that they don't need the battery life but should pay more for rumble triggers and light bars.

As for the Gamecube controller. Ok, it's a great controller for Smash and I'd like to see them bring back some Gamecube titles in some form. I hope that this is the start of it. However I'm not going to pretend that the GC controller is the best controller ever made. The button layout I can get used to and I'll even say that I prefer it. But the d-pad? c-stick? Only three triggers? I'm glad that they've moved on. They really push the retro 2D nostalgia stuffs with everything from New SMB to Shovel Knight to Super Mario World on the VC. There are also plenty of titles and game mechanics that are built around the 360 controller setup, a lot of games are all sticks and triggers. I don't think going back to the design of the GC controller would be a step forward.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

-snip-

And yet people are clamoring for an adapter for a controller that was relevant when I was still in high school and not rushing out to get the pro gamepad which isn't being marked up to well beyond retail. Perhaps gimmick was the wrong term in this case, granted that word is perfect for the Wii-mote and to some extent, the 3D on the 3DS. As for Playstation's half baked motion control, I blame Ninty for this because of the Wii and Apple's "let's add an 'i' before everything" copycat nature in the tech industry for that one. A better term would be consistency.

PS1 through PS4 all share the basic controller design with revisions over each gen, it's one of things I really respected about that line of consoles. You mention about the D-Pad and C-stick (which is odd since Nintendo seems to be the only one who makes a good D-pad), remember the sentence before this one. Instead of an adapter, I would rather Nintendo bring back the gamecube controller and rework it for modern games, but keep that basic layout/shape of the controller.  About your step forward remark towards the end.."They really push the retro 2D nostalgia" doesn't seem like stepping forward vs my wanting Ninty to rework the Gamecube controller to being the new one they use for the future. One is discussing something that addresses things like the crazy high markup for an adapter due to Smash and the other is retro pandering. Which is fine for awhile, but the New Super Mario Bros format is really stale now and I wish Nintendo would move on from that already since those games don't do much to stand out from each other visually the way the earlier Mario titles did on the NES/Famicom. A Mario title that's literally the same thing for far more generations, Mario Kart, stands out a lot more than NSMB easily.

Eh, games and retro are an entire different subject all together. All I'm saying is, even if it's not the default controller bundled with future consoles, that it would be cool if Nintendo made a more modern revision of the Gamecube controller vs trying to reinvent something no one was asking for. I'm looking at my 360 controller and am thinking no way would this feel right for Smash and other titles. Not saying the Gamecube controller was perfect, but neither were Gen1 Playstation controllers. Way better imo than the Wii-mote any day when the Wii was new and it's clear the demand to use those controllers is still in demand for the Wii-U era. 

I wish they did do a slight upgrade to the GC controller for the re-release. Namely another shoulder button (the Z) on the left side and a better dpad and c stick. I don't think they should use the same type of stick that they do for the left analogue stick though because that'd get in the way of being able to flick it easily which'll get in the way of competitive smash. ^_^

Still think the GC controller should have been their starting point for the Pro Controller though rather than the 360's.

[...]

The Pro controller has been available for a good two years. Nobody is rushing out to get them because the vast majority of people who would want it already grabbed one or two for Mario Kart 8. As someone who did grab one for Mario Kart 8 I can tell you now there were shortages of the Pro Controller then. It's also worth noting that here in Australia retailers have upped the price of the Pro Controller this week just before the Smash Bros launch. Still, in comparison, the Gamecube Adapter is hard to come by. Mostly because it's in seriously limited supply and has only been available alongside the Smash Bros launch. If you wanted a Pro you could have grabbed one anytime, if you want the Gamecube adapter there's only one option.

Also, I think you missed my point about retro games. All I was saying was that the Gamecube controller isn't ideal for some games and so going back to it would be a step back for all of those games. The GC's d-pad is better than most because as you said Nintendo make the best d-pads but it's still small and awkwardly placed, which makes it inferior to the Pro for 2D platformers. So it's definitely a step back if you want to play 2D platformers on the thing. Same goes for some of the more modern games. Its bad enough playing some of these games on a controller rather than a KB + Mouse in general, I really don't want to play something like Splatoon with the c-stick. Then there's the absent fourth shoulder button and the fact that the face buttons are pretty broken if you're asked to hold Y and tap B. It's a good thing that they moved on.

That said Smash is basically built the Gamecube controller. I'll give you that even though I never argued that it wasn't. Either way I think it's time to put it in the past, it's good that Nintendo has instead taken what works (i.e. the same basic setup that has been the standard since the late 90s) and paired it back. It's just a better design.

The Pro controller has been available for a good two years. Nobody is rushing out to get them because the vast majority of people who would want it already grabbed one or two for Mario Kart 8. As someone who did grab one for Mario Kart 8 I can tell you now there were shortages of the Pro Controller then. It's also worth noting that here in Australia retailers have upped the price of the Pro Controller this week just before the Smash Bros launch. Still, in comparison, the Gamecube Adapter is hard to come by. Mostly because it's in seriously limited supply and has only been available alongside the Smash Bros launch. If you wanted a Pro you could have grabbed one anytime, if you want the Gamecube adapter there's only one option.

Also, I think you missed my point about retro games. All I was saying was that the Gamecube controller isn't ideal for some games and so going back to it would be a step back for all of those games. The GC's d-pad is better than most because as you said Nintendo make the best d-pads but it's still small and awkwardly placed, which makes it inferior to the Pro for 2D platformers. So it's definitely a step back if you want to play 2D platformers on the thing. Same goes for some of the more modern games. Its bad enough playing some of these games on a controller rather than a KB + Mouse in general, I really don't want to play something like Splatoon with the c-stick. Then there's the absent fourth shoulder button and the fact that the face buttons are pretty broken if you're asked to hold Y and tap B. It's a good thing that they moved on.

That said Smash is basically built the Gamecube controller. I'll give you that even though I never argued that it wasn't. Either way I think it's time to put it in the past, it's good that Nintendo has instead taken what works (i.e. the same basic setup that has been the standard since the late 90s) and paired it back. It's just a better design.

All I want is a remastered Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, and A NEW PAPER MARIO THAT IS LIKE THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR...

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

So do you think that with the new Gamecube adapter and controller for the Wii U might be a window opener for future (maybe) remastered Gamecube games like Super Mario Sunshine? I would love to see that game again...especially in 1080p...

If you really wanted to, you could find a Sunshine ISO and play it on your computer with Dolphin emulator.   Use whatever controller you like, and you can also increase graphics quality (your hardware permitting).  

All I want is a remastered Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, and A NEW PAPER MARIO THAT IS LIKE THE THOUSAND YEAR DOOR...

I hear ya and I'd like to see the GC controller being supported across more than just Smash. My problem with it though is two fold. I think if they want to release a new game they'll have to make it work without the GC controller otherwise they're shrinking an already small market. I also think that in-general the GC controller is loved more than what is rational. For Smash I can understand but for other games? eh. I reckon if they wanted to do a GC remaster they'd just do it like they did with Wind Waker and actually improve the game with a different controller.

Anyways, the main reason I was arguing before was because some people decided to take it further. Saying that the Pro Controller is crap and Nintendo should instead model everything they do after the GC controller. The thing's ten years old and if you take off the rose tinted glasses it wasn't anywhere near as fantastic as people say it is.

I hear ya and I'd like to see the GC controller being supported across more than just Smash. My problem with it though is two fold. I think if they want to release a new game they'll have to make it work without the GC controller otherwise they're shrinking an already small market. I also think that in-general the GC controller is loved more than what is rational. For Smash I can understand but for other games? eh. I reckon if they wanted to do a GC remaster they'd just do it like they did with Wind Waker and actually improve the game with a different controller.

Anyways, the main reason I was arguing before was because some people decided to take it further. Saying that the Pro Controller is crap and Nintendo should instead model everything they do after the GC controller. The thing's ten years old and if you take off the rose tinted glasses it wasn't anywhere near as fantastic as people say it is.

I bought the Pro Controller and it was worth every penny for MK8. But yeah, I don't understand why they made the GC controller EXACTLY the same as the last one. Why couldn't they have made it into a USB controller so we didn't have to have that extra accessory just to use it?

I bought the Pro Controller and it was worth every penny for MK8. But yeah, I don't understand why they made the GC controller EXACTLY the same as the last one. Why couldn't they have made it into a USB controller so we didn't have to have that extra accessory just to use it?

Because its not designed to be used on a PC. Also even if it was USB it would still only be compatible with ONE game (right now) and it would be limited to only 4 GameCube controller connected (Depending on if all 4 ports are free). The reasons why its uses the GameCube connector are:

• Support upto 8 GameCube controllers via 2 adaptors, this is a major feature for serious Smash fans
  • Compatible with Wii
  • Compatible with GameCube

Backwards compatibility is the main reason, would you rather buy a USB controller that works only with 1 game officially or an actual GameCube controller which works natively on 2 past systems and works with hundreds of games.

You can buy 3rd party GameCube style controllers which work through USB for PC or buy an adaptor to use official controllers.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Yeah, it makes sense to release an adapter rather than a custom controller. For a start the main advantage of the GC adapter is that people who have them can just use their old controllers. If you're even remotely a fan of Smash on either Wii or GC you likely have a GC controller of some sort lying around and this was primarily a move to please the fans where this matters. If you had to buy new controllers? It'd start to become a very expensive game. There's also the problem of USB ports on the Wii U, there are only four of them. If you're even remotely serious about the Wii U and online in particular you probably have those back two USB ports occupied for a storage and LAN. Which leaves you the front two for four GC controllers via the adapter. If it was USB? That'd be two. Of course you could get a USB hub but it turns out that a USB hub, while obviously easier to find, isn't much cheaper than the GC adapter.

Also as a side note I actually have the game now, I got it after that second post and did play a fair bit of Smash over the weekend. First time I'd played Smash with the Pro Controller. I was looking at ways to get the adapter but the only reason I didn't get it in the bundle was because I decided that digital was the better option for a game like Smash. Now that I've put a bit of time into it both with a Pro Controller and off-TV with the GamePad? I'm not sure if it's worth hunting it down. If anything I think I even preferred it because of the higher placement of the second stick making Smashes that tiny bit more comfortable. As a disclaimer I think my muscle memory had been tuned to play this game on the 3DS over the last few months so anything would have probably been a step up from that. I get that for some people playing Smash on anything but the GC controller will seem weird but TBH I don't think either option is "bad".

tl;dr:

The adapter makes sense, USB doesn't

I have the game now, if I was playing Smash and was "forced" to use a particular controller? Pro, GC and even the GamePad are all pretty damn good