280x CF or 970?

jnmbhj

What will be better getting another 280x or to sell my current 7970 ghz and get a gtx 970? 

I will be doing battlefield 4 playing and recording as well as video editing and rendering. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

How  expensive is the 970? And how much is the 280x?

Get a GTX970 - less heat & power consumption.

You would net some more fps with CF 280x's, but i'd rather have a better single card tbh.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

• How much each component costs in your area?

How much energy costs there?

How good is the airflow of your case?

Which games are you interest in most? AMD's or nVidea's?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

How  expensive is the 970? And how much is the 280x?

• How much each component costs in your area?
  • How much energy costs there?
  • How good is the airflow of your case?
  • Which games are you interest in most? AMD's or nVidea's?

The GTX 970 costs $370 in my area

And the R9 280x costs $280

As for energy I usually do not pay for the electricity. In the winter times its about 0.05 kw. (Lots solar panels) 

The airflow is very good 200mm intake at the front 140mm intake from the side h100i push pull from the top and 120mm exhaust.

As for games I like FPS games (BF4, BF3, Crysis 3 grid 2, Arma 3) And I am waiting for star citizen to come out.  

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Get a GTX970 - less heat & power consumption.

You would net some more fps with CF 280x's, but i'd rather have a better single card tbh.

Less power consumption yes. Less heat? Not really no. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I say if your PSU is up for the task, go for Crossfire:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1058

If it can blow the 970 out of the water, then imagine what it can do to Battlefield.

I am pretty certain that my 1000w cooler master PSU will handle the 2 280x + a 8350 OC to 4.6  

Less power consumption yes. Less heat? Not really no. 

Yes really. 2 cards consuming much more power DOWS increase heat. Either it being restrained in the case, or on the room.

The GTX 970 costs $370 in my area

And the R9 280x costs $280

As for energy I usually do not pay for the electricity. In the winter times its about 0.05 kw. (Lots solar panels) 

The airflow is very good 200mm intake at the front 140mm intake from the side h100i push pull from the top and 120mm exhaust.

As for games I like FPS games (BF4, BF3, Crysis 3 grid 2, Arma 3) And I am waiting for star citizen to come out.  

When I meant "games you like", I meant the free games from AMD's Never Settle bundle or the gtx 970 (the crew/ farcry 4/ assasin's creed unity). Right now, these are free games you get depending on the card you buy.

Given the energy cost, the price and the airflow, I'd say get the 280x. Do note that this will block you from any upgrades in the VGA area, though, so next time you want something better, you'll have to dump those 280x away. In that sense, a 970 allows for future upgrades.

Still, I'd recommend 2nd 280x.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Yes really. 2 cards consuming much more power DOWS increase heat. Either it being restrained in the case, or on the room.

I'm referring towards the GTX 970 since that's where that comment originally came from. a 970 will consume less power but it too can have no problem going to 80C. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I am pretty certain that my 1000w cooler master PSU will handle the 2 280x + a 8350 OC to 4.6  

Long story short,

280X CrossFire for 1080p

Single 970 for 1440p and higher

"Rawr XD"

I'm referring towards the GTX 970 since that's where that comment originally came from. a 970 will consume less power but it too can have no problem going to 80C. 

Mistakes were made today :wacko:

My apologies, I'm not accustomed to being able to view someone's specs from a click away.

(I've used nothing but vBulliton for years)

[witty signature]

I know that the 280x will have much better performance but I have heard that crossfire is difficult to work with. I have the psu and motherboard that supports it.

@Timmy-P,

@Imakuni,

@Fulgrim 

I know that the 280x will have much better performance but I have heard that crossfire is difficult to work with. I have the psu and motherboard that supports it.

@Timmy-P,

@Imakuni,

@Fulgrim 

It's not that difficult to work with. Honestly, if a game doesn't support CF, chances are, it will run fine using one of the 280X's.

"Rawr XD"

It's not really difficult work with. It's just that sometimes, a particullar game might not scale very well with 2 VGAs; sometimes it just plain doesn't support it and in even rarer cases it might actually DECREASE performance.

EDIT: got ninja'ed by Aniallation :ph34r:

It's not really difficult work with. It's just that sometimes, a particullar game might not scale very well with 2 VGAs; sometimes it just plain doesn't support it and in even rarer cases it might actually DECREASE performance.

Honestly, in games that do decrease performance the difference is very very small compared to a single card, and if you want to get back that difference ypu can just disable crossfire in CCC

"Rawr XD"

How bout the performance of a 7970 X R9 280 (non-x) vs a GTX 970

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

How bout the performance of a 7970 X R9 280 (non-x) vs a GTX 970

280 non x = 7950 

280 non x = 7950 

Well, i know that, but I would think that if your on a budget, crossfiring a 280 non-x is more cost efficient. Doe you might lose that 4 percent of performance vs a Full 7970 xfire. 

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

Your good.... :)

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

Depends on your needs....if you can find a 280x with stats comparable to your current 7970 (if higher stats, the 280x will clock itself down to meet the other card's needs), then pull dat trigger if the price is right.  Crossfire/SLi has/had multiple issues with certain titles...if you go for the 280x, you can (as previously stated) disable the crossfire when not needed.  Please make sure if crossfire is what you choose, to disable the ULPS function....ran into crap when I was crossfiring my 7870's / 7970's in the day.  

Insofar as Nvidia, if they have what you need (PhysX, ShadowPlay), then get that 7970 up for sale and enjoy the 970 or 980.

If you decide to sell, just remember to scout out prices on Ebay or whatever medium you intend to sell on....whichever way you go, good luck in your choice :D

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

• 3 weeks later...

Long story short,

280X CrossFire for 1080p

Single 970 for 1440p and higher

Um right 280x crossfire Does not work at 1080p on my 8350 I get better and much smoother gameplay using 1 card

It's not really difficult work with. It's just that sometimes, a particullar game might not scale very well with 2 VGAs; sometimes it just plain doesn't support it and in even rarer cases it might actually DECREASE performance.

EDIT: got ninja'ed by Aniallation :ph34r:

I Tested this and well its NOT rare at all! Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Crysis 3 they all lowered performance. The only place I saw an improvement was in a benchmark.  

Um right 280x crossfire Does not work at 1080p on my 8350 I get better and much smoother gameplay using 1 card

Why are you talking about gaming performance when an 8350 will bottleneck two 280X's in most games. Also not sure why you're bumping a thread almost a month old.

"Rawr XD"