PSU influence on overcloxking potetential

Alim
Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

Does quality and addiyional featutes of PSU affect OC performance? Can cheaper PSU bottleneck overclocking? Both PSU have same or higher wattage

as long as you don't get a very cheap unit it should not affect your overclocking as long as you have enough headroom on the PSU to provide extra current to your overclocked parts (this can represent a good amount of extra current being used)

That being said the power supply is the heart of your machine and if it goes pooof it can take down several component with it (again if it's too cheap of a unit) so i highly suggest you cousult experienced PSU reviewers website's and check reviews

for the units you are looking at BEFORE making your purchase of a new PSU...some brands offer excellent AND poor quality units even corsair does that so check them reviews out. good luck!

Does quality and addiyional featutes of PSU affect OC performance? Can cheaper PSU bottleneck overclocking? Both PSU have same or higher wattage

Using Tapatalk

As long as your psu gives the pc enough power and doesn't explode, it doesn't affect performance 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Never go cheap with the PSU

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

The psu doesn't affect performance, If a psu doesn't supply enough power, the system should simply not boot or shut down. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Cheaper PSU will limit overclocking in that sense that it might not be able to keep enough power running to CPU when you up the volts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If we put it differently, does the battery of your car affect how fast your car goes? Obviously not, however if you don't have enough power than that will be a problem. Anyway, don't cheap out on the PSU, buy something from a reputable brand with a bit of headroom to spare in case you decide to upgrade later. Also good PSUs last for years and can be used in many builds down the road. I have my Cooler Master PSU for 5 years already and it is still running like a champ and I have used it 3 builds already with a fourth coming soon. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

If we put it differently, does the battery of your car affect how fast your car goes? 

Actually it does on high-performance (read: turbocharged) vehicles 

@OP a quality power supply can influence the stability of your overclock. For instance ripple voltage is a lot lower on high-end power supplies.

I personally recommand the EVGA G2 series. 

Actually it does on high-performance (read: turbocharged) vehicles 

@OP a quality power supply can influence the stability of your overclock. For instance ripple voltage is a lot lower on high-end power supplies.

I personally recommand the EVGA G2 series. 

A bit off topic, but explain to me how the battery makes a car go faster, I really want to know. This is like stating that cold air intakes give you more Bhp...  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I meant can cheaper PSU cause lower stability (like being unable to provide stable 1.3V to CPU) on overclocked system or it's just matter of power?

I have option of $40 700W and $150 750W PSUs

A bit off topic, but explain to me how the battery makes a car go faster, I really want to know. This is like stating that cold air intakes give you more Bhp...  

Cold air helps to deliver more oxygen to the engine

Using Tapatalk

2jz owner checking in. 

When your car is light up like a christmas tree with tons of gauges (boost, oil temp, a/f, blah blah blah) and an aftermarket ecu with run triple walbro fuel pumps for your 2000cc injectors on e85 ethanol it puts a huge load on your electrical systems; especially at WOT. Sometimes people put in really small batteries to save on a weight or fit massive 4" intercooler piping in the engine bay and they'll get electrical issues like voltage drops that reduce the fuel pumps's output. 

Cold air helps to deliver more oxygen to the engine

You people need to get your facts right here, for a car enthusiast this extremly frustrating, not going to argue any more. 

PS: A cold air intake doesn't give more power, best case scenario 1-2Bhp more and that is with a twin-turbo charged car.

2jz owner checking in. 

When you light up your car like a christmas tree with tons of gauges (boost, oil temp, a/f, blah blah blah), put in an aftermarket ecu, run triple walbro fuel pumps for your 2000cc injectors on e85 ethonal it puts a huge load on your electrical systems especially at WOT. Sometimes people put in really small batteries to save on a weight or fit massive 4" inter cooler piping in the engine bay and they'll get electrical issues like voltage drops that reduce the fuel pumps's output. 

That is something completely different man. And it is not that the battery matters, but that its capacity matters, which is completely logical. It's like trying to run a 2x 295X set up on a 700W PSU. 

You people need to get your facts right here, for a car enthusiast this extremly frustrating, not going to argue any more. 

PS: Cold aair intake doesn't give more power, best case scenario 1-2Bhp more and that is with a twin-turbo charged car.

On a 2jz-gte it's a 20hp gain at stock boost levels. 

That is something completely different man. And it is not that the battery matters, but that its capacity matters, which is completely logical. It's like trying to run a 2x 295X on a 700W PSU. 

semantics, the battery affects the capacity (among other things) 

But anyways back on OP PSU have more characteristics then just output. Ripple voltage is a big deal for instance.  

as long as you don't get a very cheap unit it should not affect your overclocking as long as you have enough headroom on the PSU to provide extra current to your overclocked parts (this can represent a good amount of extra current being used)

That being said the power supply is the heart of your machine and if it goes pooof it can take down several component with it (again if it's too cheap of a unit) so i highly suggest you cousult experienced PSU reviewers website's and check reviews

for the units you are looking at BEFORE making your purchase of a new PSU...some brands offer excellent AND poor quality units even corsair does that so check them reviews out. good luck!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR