Installing Linux from a USB Drive

I've never actually installed a copy of linux onto a computer, is it the same as a VM, just put the .iso on the USB and shove it in, or do I have to partition like windows?

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

I believe I used this last time I created a bootable usb for Mint a year ago. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Once you get a live disc running, just install like you would any OS. Tell it which drive/partition to install on and you're good to go.

I believe I used this last time I created a bootable usb for Mint a year ago. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Once you get a live disc running, just install like you would any OS. Tell it which drive/partition to install on and you're good to go.

Isn't that to make a bootable linux drive, I want to install it to the harddrive. :L

Isn't that to make a bootable linux drive, I want to install it to the harddrive. :L

Basically, at least what I do, make a bootable linux drive. Once it gets into the OS (for Mint anyway), you'll see the install option right away and from there you can either use as a live disc or choose to install from usb to an SSD/HDD. :T

Are you serious? Did you ever installed Windows? It's very similar. You need to creat bootable USB then boot install from it.

Are you serious? Did you ever installed Windows? It's very similar. You need to creat bootable USB then boot install from it.

I said I've only used VM's and pre-installed servers from OVH, hop off my dick.

Yes I've installed windows using a USB drive.

Ultimately it depends on the distribution, usually you just write the downloaded image to a flashdrive and that's it though.

Ultimately it depends on the distribution, usually you just write the downloaded image to a flashdrive and that's it though.

CentOS 6.6

With most installers you write the .iso to the USB drive, boot off it and install the OS. You can create the partitions manually, but when you leave it to its own devices it can do that for you, either overwriting your existing Windows install, or shrinking it and installing Linux alongside it. It's really not that hard.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.