Choosing PSU

chos5555

Hello all,

Few days ago I posted a question what PSU should I buy I got a great comment with link to list of PSUs, they were ordered by quality, warranty, and some other things. But anyways now to the question : I chose 5 PSUs but I can't decide which one to buy, so I want to ask you. Please look at those PSUs and tell me which one is the best :

PC Power & Cooling 950W Silencer MK II
SeaSonic X Series X-850 
Seventeam ST 850W
Silverstone OP850-P
Ultra X3 1000W

Thanks everyone for your opinios and answeres ;). All comments welcome.

Could you post your system specifications? It would help a bunch :3

OK sorry for that I forgot :D

CPU: Intel core i5 4670k

MOBO: Z87 G65 gaming

RAM: Corsair Dominator 16GB

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780

CPU cooler: Corsair H100i

Case: It will be NZXT Phantom 530 when it comes out :D

NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller

Some Corsair SP 120 Performance edition

CD-ROM

1 SSD

1 HDD

I think that is all tell me if I missed something :D

OK sorry for that I forgot :D

CPU: Intel core i5 4670k

MOBO: Z87 G65 gaming

RAM: Corsair Dominator 16GB

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780

CPU cooler: Corsair H100i

Case: It will be NZXT Phantom 530 when it comes out :D

NZXT HUE RGB LED Controller

Some Corsair SP 120 Performance edition

CD-ROM

1 SSD

1 HDD

I think that is all tell me if I missed something :D

you really dont need a >850w psu. As Dave said, the AX760 is perfect for your system.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

you really dont need a >850w psu. As Dave said, the AX760 is perfect for your system.

I just wanted to have little bit more than less ;), but when you guys say that it will be totally fine with AX760 I think I will maybe go for that cause I know that it is great PSU with big wattage :D

Ok guys I will calculate my power usage on the extreme calculator and then I will post it so you will see what exact wattage would I need :D

So I have done the extreme calculator and it showed me that I will be using something about 700W+/- I may OC in the future so I don't really know how much wattage do I really need I hope this helps you guys and at the same time I hope that you will help me with my question :D

get the AX860 just incase, its what ive got and it hasnt let me down

get the AX860 just incase, its what ive got and it hasnt let me down

I would maybe like the AX850 more cause it is cheaper and I do not want to spend 200$ on PSU... Or is the AX860 really really better??

The AX850 is fine.  But seriously though, the SeaSonic X650 is more than enough.

I agree w/ him, hell, even the Seasonic G series 550w is enough for this build.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

I agree w/ him, hell, even the Seasonic G series 550w is enough for this build.

Mm, the SSR-550RM would be cutting it really close on amperage.  The 12V rail on that one isn't strong enough for a 780 in my opinion.  I wouldn't put one on it, anyway.

But Linus used it for this build w/ a GTX 780 on it.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

I'd say go with a seasonic SSR-650RM or X-650.

great pricing,modular,and room for upgrades.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Mm, the SSR-550RM would be cutting it really close on amperage.  The 12V rail on that one isn't strong enough for a 780 in my opinion.  I wouldn't put one on it, anyway.

45A?

The GTX780 does have a 250w TDP, but under gaming load power consumption actually averages around 200w, jumping slightly higher to 220w with stress-testing programs. An overclocked 4670k would probably be pulling ~70w under load, so the entire system would probably average around 300w under gaming load, perhaps 350w during stress-testing. 540w would be plenty for a system like that, you could probably go even lower if you wanted.

45A?

The GTX780 does have a 250w TDP, but under gaming load power consumption actually averages around 200w, jumping slightly higher to 220w with stress-testing programs. An overclocked 4670k would probably be pulling ~70w under load, so the entire system would probably average around 300w under gaming load, perhaps 350w during stress-testing. 540w would be plenty for a system like that, you could probably go even lower if you wanted.

I'm not talking about wattage, I know 550W is enough in that respect, if you count everything up; But the TDP tells you about how much heat it generates, not actual power draw (although the two figures are similar).  It's recommended at least 42A, which is up from the 38A of both the 680 and the Titan.  So 45A on the power supply is cutting it a bit close.

I would agree that a quality 550w unit would be enough as well. The recommendation provided by any manufacturer (either from AMD/Nvidia or graphic card's companies like EVGA, Sapphire, etc) typically overstate it to factor in various of system setups in the near worse case scenario, as well as factor other PSUs of various of qualities.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/12/intel-core-i5-4670k-haswell-cpu-review/6

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_780_Direct_Cu_II_OC/24.html

That review shows a system with an 4770k OCed to 4.7GHz to only have a power draw up to 171w. That's at the wall and with an idled 680w. This setup was powered by a HX750 Gold unit. That's closed to the 20% load area, so I'm going to assume 88% efficiency at this load which is ~150w or 142w if you take out the idled 680w.

So with a OCed 4770k, GTX780, 4x 4GB of RAM, a SSD, and a H100i, the power draw would be around ~387w during the unrealistic scenario of Prime95 and Furmark / Kombustor at the exact same time. So a quality unit that's in the lower high-end segment such as the Seasonic G SSR-550RM should be plenty as well, and I don't feel that it's cutting it that close. Especially when considering the typical average / peak will be under 350w.

I guess it just a matter of ones comfort zone.

Guys I'm happy to see that you are commenting to my topic, but I don't really know if the 550 or 650 would be enough. I have done the extreme wattage calculator and it showed me that under 80% load the system will consume 708W. So cause of that I decided, that I would like a 850W PSU (I was not counting OCing). But I don't really know... Hope you guys will help.

Guys I'm happy to see that you are commenting to my topic, but I don't really know if the 550 or 650 would be enough. I have done the extreme wattage calculator and it showed me that under 80% load the system will consume 708W. So cause of that I decided, that I would like a 850W PSU (I was not counting OCing). But I don't really know... Hope you guys will help.

AX860 or ax860i, if you want to monitor your psu go with the 860i otherwise the ax860 will be fine

AX860 or ax860i, if you want to monitor your psu go with the 860i otherwise the ax860 will be fine

Does exist AX850i??

chos5555, on 14 Jun 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Hang on, are you going with a single GTX780, or two? I'm using the calc right now, but I'm only getting (slightly lower, but) similar values with a dual Titan setup. While there's nothing wrong with going over, it just sounds like something is very much wrong, as if you've ticked something which is leading to an inaccurate result

As for specific units, can you link the site you are buying from or a list of available units where you are? Prices vary quite a bit depending on where you are, as does product selection.

Glenwing, on 13 Jun 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

I'm not talking about wattage, I know 550W is enough in that respect, if you count everything up; But the TDP tells you about how much heat it generates, not actual power draw (although the two figures are similar). It's recommended at least 42A, which is up from the 38A of both the 680 and the Titan. So 45A on the power supply is cutting it a bit close.

Going a bit off-topic, but are you referring to Nvidia's "recommended amperage" values? Those are actually based on the system as a whole, plus they usually leave a lot of headroom to compensate for generic units that advertise "peak 42A power" rather than continuous. Going by the values I posted earlier, 200w/12v = 17A, the entire system would be pulling around ~25A from the 12v rail under average gaming load.

Not too sure what you mean about the wattage being enough but not the amperage, to be honest. The 12v rail alone can supply 540w since it's rated at 45A, so that shouldn't be an issue. Cutting close in terms of peak power consumption generally isn't too much of an issue either, as long are the average load level is around the 50% mark.

Edit:

chos5555, on 14 Jun 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Does exist AX850i??

No, it doesn't. The AX850 an older unit, the AX860 and AX860i are the newer units which improved upon it. All three units are solid, though I wouldn't really recommend the 'i' version from a value perspective.

have done the extreme wattage calculator and it showed me

ok then...i say this one more time.those things are trash !oc`ed six core i7 + 2x 680s under load remains under 500W. get a good 550W-650W unit . ur good