What headphones do I want

Go to solution Solved by Jcowley,

aren't I going to need an amp for 250 ohms

Nope don't need an amp or a dac - I see so many people give out information they have no idea about just because it was the advice they got given when they bought their audio setup.

I run mine off a phone, tablet, monitor passthrough and front panel audio with no problems at all.

NOT A GAMING HEADSET!!!

I am going to attach a modmic 4.0 so i can use it as a gaming headset.

I don't know much about audio, but I know I want an open soundstage and not to heavy on bass or treble.  Just really clean, ACCURATE, and powerful sound for less that $160.00

I am thinking between sennhesier 558 and the audio technica a500x.  They both look good and have good reviews, but i am leaning towards the a500x because they seem more fitting for me.

Definitely open to more recommendations, just make sure you include reasoning and explain, because again I don't know much about audio.

Please don't spac with m50 or m50x.  I am sure they are great, but they are not for me.

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

If you intend on using them at home I would go for the Beyerdynamic DT990 - You say you would like accurate sound but most people find a slightly v  shaped freq. response much nicer to listen to.

The DT990s are more comfortable than a cloud, are open and have a wide soundstage which seems to be exactly what you are after.

P.S.The coiled cable is great with the modmic as you can put the cable down the centre of the coil so it's out the way 

If you intend on using them at home I would go for the Beyerdynamic DT990 - You say you would like accurate sound but most people find a slightly v  shaped freq. response much nicer to listen to.

The DT990s are more comfortable than a cloud, are open and have a wide soundstage which seems to be exactly what you are after.

P.S.The coiled cable is great with the modmic as you can put the cable down the centre of the coil so it's out the way 

my concern with a coiled cable has always been, if I have it stretched, won't it put tension on my headphones and or, unplug?

I would go with either the 

ATH-M50x or the ATH-M50 

thank you kind sir

my concern with a coiled cable has always been, if I have it stretched, won't it put tension on my headphones and or, unplug?

The cable on the 990s isn't super tightly wound so unless you really go for it when you stretch the cable it'll be fine

The cable on the 990s isn't super tightly wound so unless you really go for it when you stretch the cable it'll be fine

I am a big fan of Audio Technica's 3d wing suspension system

Nope don't need an amp or a dac - I see so many people give out information they have no idea about just because it was the advice they got given when they bought their audio setup.

I run mine off a phone, tablet, monitor passthrough and front panel audio with no problems at all.

great, thanks a lot

I believe that the DT990s is a better choice instead of the M50X. More comfortable, lighter, bigger soundstage but equally sibilant treble. The cons of the DT990 is the non removable cable and the sensitivity, which is a bit lower than the M50X. 
Ohhhhh i just looked at the price at US.... The DT990s are cheaper than the M50X in my country xD
Yeah for 165$ the M50X is a good value, but they are not perfect headphones as some believe they are :P

250 ohm Beyerdynamics are just past straddling the line of needing an amp. Most people will find they DO need an amp. Still, it'd be good for OP to get them first and decide for himself.