$1000 gaming rig

So my friend has just recently switched to PC gaming from consoles (yay!), but atm is doing it on his $400 dell inspiron he got a few years ago. He said that he wants a gaming PC, and I told him I would build him one and save him a bunch of money.

1. We are in the US and we use USD, and we can only shop online.

2. The goal is for a good gaming rig that will last him a while before he needs an update. He will be using this mostly for gaming/schoolwork.

3. Unfortunately, there is only enough budget to get one monitor, but that is all he needs/wants. Definitely going 1080p 60Hz with decent response time.

4. He has a mouse and keyboard and does not need an update for them. He needs windows.

5. He cannot upgrade his laptop (it's a laptop with no dedicated gpu)

We plan in buying parts over the next two months, and will get the some of the better/best deals on parts. He also does not care about aesthetics, so no windowed cases or lights suggestions. Also, he does not want to overclock (yet, i hope), but with this build going to be lasting him for the next 4-8 years, I was thinking of an unlocked CPU just in case he changes his mind in the future.

CPU: intel 3570k

GPU: any 7950 that we find under $250

RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x4 1600

MoBo: Asrock Z77 extreme4 atx

Case: NZXT gamma classic or anything good under $40

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue 7200rpm

SSD: none atm, maybe a later upgrade

PSU: Rosewill Hive 650w 80 plus bronze

Fans: amazon 4-pack of whatever is cheapest

CPU cooler: hyper 212 evo

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23"

So none of this is final, especially with all of the new things that have just come out/are coming out (GTX 760ti), and anything that would reduce price or increase performance would be good. This is both of our first build, and I am not amazingly familiar with hardware, so any help would be appreciated. I am also willing to answer any questions if more information is needed.

Updates are bold

$100 gaming rig you say haha

haha my bad, unfortunately I can't change it now, I put a note at the top of the post. 

Im assuming the title is a typo and you forgot a zero?

But yeah that setup looks like it'd be a great gaming rig, but you'll probs be fine with a 600w PSU if your just going with one GPU.

System SpecCase: Cooler Master Elite 311 - Mobo: Asus Rampage III Extreme - CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.5 Ghz - Heatsink/Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612, w/ Corsair SP120's - Ram: 16GB Of 1866 Corsair Vengeance - GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 660 Ti's In SLI @ 1015 Mhz - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB - SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB - PSU: Coolmax 800W Semi Modular, 80+ Bronze - OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64.

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer G246HL (TN 24" 1080p LED 60Hz) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 - Mouse: ? - Mouse Mat: Razer Vespula - Headset: Asus Orion.

Im assuming the title is a typo and you forgot a zero?

But yeah that setup looks like it'd be a great gaming rig, but you'll probs be fine with a 600w PSU if your just going with one GPU.

Yeah, I can't change the title but i put a note at the top

I didn't know how much the 7950 would draw, i guess I was just playing it safe and "future-proof"

Yeah, I can't change the title but i put a note at the top

I didn't know how much the 7950 would draw, i guess I was just playing it safe and "future-proof"

Ah ok.

Yeah that makes sense, I did the same with an 800w lol

System SpecCase: Cooler Master Elite 311 - Mobo: Asus Rampage III Extreme - CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.5 Ghz - Heatsink/Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612, w/ Corsair SP120's - Ram: 16GB Of 1866 Corsair Vengeance - GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 660 Ti's In SLI @ 1015 Mhz - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB - SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB - PSU: Coolmax 800W Semi Modular, 80+ Bronze - OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64.

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer G246HL (TN 24" 1080p LED 60Hz) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 - Mouse: ? - Mouse Mat: Razer Vespula - Headset: Asus Orion.

To make things easier, I'd recommend a change of case. Like it's not necessary but unless you can handle cable management, it'll be hard to fit two PCIE cables behind the mobo with the current case. Up to you though. 

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

If we are not overclocking immediately, do I need really need the hyper 212 evo, or should I wait until he wants to overclock and has a some money lying around and buy a water cooler to do some serious overclocking?

To make things easier, I'd recommend a change of case. Like it's not necessary but unless you can handle cable management, it'll be hard to fit two PCIE cables behind the mobo with the current case. Up to you though. 

I was also looking at the antec one, which atm is $50, but has good airflow and lots of room for cable management.

Here are a few suggestions on parts to change: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15o2m

The xeon is like a 3770 but is cheaper--it'll save money on the motherboard. The extra threads will be more 'future-proof'.

Bumping down to mirco atx form factor to save money.

Found cheaper ram.

Nice looking case with front usb 3.0

Got cheaper psu.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If we are not overclocking immediately, do I need really need the hyper 212 evo, or should I wait until he wants to overclock and has a some money lying around and buy a water cooler to do some serious overclocking?

No, not at all. You don't even really need to overclock anyway. Like simple PC  gaming is fine with the stock cooler.

I was also looking at the antec one, which atm is $50, but has good airflow and lots of room for cable management.

Yeah, that's not a bad case at all. It's up to you and your friend though if you can spend that little bit extra.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Here are a few suggestions on parts to change: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15o2m

The xeon is like a 3770 but is cheaper--it'll save money on the motherboard. The extra threads will be more 'future-proof'.

Bumping down to mirco atx form factor to save money.

Found cheaper ram.

Nice looking case with front usb 3.0

Got cheaper psu.

On things like the ram, It will be decided based on what goes on sale

I had never looked into the xeon, and I must admit that it is awesome.

The Mobo, while cheaper, does not have all of the room for expansion like another 16x port that an atx would have. I'm new to overclocking so forgive me if I'm wrong, but the power feed to the cpu can greatly affect the stability of the OC, right? So I'm cautious towards buying a Mobo for so cheap.

The case is nice, I'm stuck between that and the antec vsk3000, maybe a fractal design core1000 usb 3

The psu is cheaper, but the one I have now is modular. If i need to save the $20 dollars or so, I'll make the switch.

The monitor you chose was also nice, but I know my friend wanted an IPS panel

Thanks for the help, you have definitely made my choice a lot harder.

Here's what I have with a xeon instead of an i5: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15pCC

edit. also that case, how about a bitfenix shinobi? it's not much more expensive and looks good

The shinobi is very nice, but aethstetics are at the very bottom of of our priorities. I would rather put that $10 into slightly better parts or more fans, maybe even save the money.

The Mobo, while cheaper, does not have all of the room for expansion like another 16x port that an atx would have. I'm new to overclocking so forgive me if I'm wrong, but the power feed to the cpu can greatly affect the stability of the OC, right? So I'm cautious towards buying a Mobo for so cheap.

Yeah, that's correct. Depends how much you're going to overclock though.

The case is nice, I'm stuck between that and the antec vsk3000, maybe a fractal design core1000 usb 3

Here's what I have with a xeon instead of an i5: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15pCC

The the ability for the cpu to overclock would probably fail from high temps or high voltages before the quality of the motherboard power delivery even comes into play. It's perfectly fine getting a cheaper motherboard.

The antec case should have better cable management than the fractal one from what I've heard. 

Edit: You could go for this motherboard if you plan to crossfire in the future. It also have 4 slots for ram.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-b75pro3m

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Are you near a Micro Center?

No, it's over an hour away and I won't have my car for the next few months.

I have heard about some of the amazing deals they have, It's a shame how I can't use them.

The the ability for the cpu to overclock would probably fail from high temps or high voltages before the quality of the motherboard power delivery even comes into play. It's perfectly fine getting a cheaper motherboard.

The antec case should have better cable management than the fractal one from what I've heard. 

Edit: You could go for this motherboard if you plan to crossfire in the future. It also have 4 slots for ram.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-b75pro3m

Okay, I was just making sure, I've never overclocked anything and didn't want to break anything.

Yeah, I decided on either the antec or silverstone case, depending on whether or not my friend wants front usb 3.0

That mobo is only $5 more, I'll definitely use it.

These are my parts now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15qLp

The ram is not final at all, and with sales and stuff, I expect to get it at about $1000 or so.

Thanks again for your help!

Okay, I was just making sure, I've never overclocked anything and didn't want to break anything.

Yeah, I decided on either the antec or silverstone case, depending on whether or not my friend wants front usb 3.0

That mobo is only $5 more, I'll definitely use it.

These are my parts now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15qLp

The ram is not final at all, and with sales and stuff, I expect to get it at about $1000 or so.

Thanks again for your help!

It looks solid.