Can you use a backplate on reference gpu's

Agent181

I was wondering if you can use an ek back plate that usually goes on for watercooling and put it on the r9 280x that's reference and leave the air cooler on.  I just wanted a back plate for the 280x.

This is tha back plate 

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17244/ex-blc-1341/EK_Radeon_7970_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_RAM_Backplate_-_Black_CSQ_EK-FC7970_Backplate_-_Black_CSQ.html?tl=g57c599s1931

Will it work with any reference pcb's and the air cooler?

I was wondering if you can use an ek back plate that usually goes on for watercooling and put it on the r9 280x that's reference and leave the air cooler on.  I just wanted a back plate for the 280x.

This is tha back plate 

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17244/ex-blc-1341/EK_Radeon_7970_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_RAM_Backplate_-_Black_CSQ_EK-FC7970_Backplate_-_Black_CSQ.html?tl=g57c599s1931

Will it work with any reference pcb's and the air cooler?

No, on the web site its not to be used with the stock cooler.

The screws included with the back plate are a different thread than the stock cooler. The original screws with card wont be counter sunk to fit with the card. 

All that said you can try it but if it doesnt fit with the stock cooler it will be a costly mistake.

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

No, on the web site its not to be used with the stock cooler.

The screws included with the back plate are a different thread than the stock cooler. The original screws with card wont be counter sunk to fit with the card. 

All that said you can try it but if it doesnt fit with the stock cooler it will be a costly mistake.

what about this one http://www.frozencpu.com/products/23354/ex-blc-1684/EK_R9-280X_DCII_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_RAM_Backplate_-_Black_CSQ_EK-FC_R9-280X_DCII_Backplate_-_Black.html?tl=c599s1931b133

As I said before, the backplates are not to be used by themselves.

Some vendors offer a stanalone backplate (EVGA) that doesn't require anything more than the stock card/cooler but EK requires you to have the waterblock for that particular card. 

The EK screws will be a different length, the thread will be designed for the water block NOT the stock cooler, and the type of screws will be different ie countersunk.

A quick check on the EK website has revealed this in reference to the 7970 blackplate:

Please note:

- The backplate does not serve as a standalone unit and is compatible only with EK-FC7970 CSQ waterblock!
- Please check our Cooling Configurator for detailed compatibility list!

So it MAY work but I wouldn't risk it, as even EK says that it will only work with the specific waterblock for that gpu. 

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2