Will this network work for a 15~20 people LAN party

Jeroen1322
Go to solution Solved by skywake,

I'd suggest getting larger switches for two reasons. For a start there'll be less cables and less switches which means there'll be less points of failure and it'll be easier to troubleshoot. It's also just plain old more cost effective. Looking at prices at an Australian retailer for different switch sizes and are connecting to a central switch you already have (i.e. -1 port each):

for 20 users:

5 x 5 port: 20 available ports, $50, $2.50 per user

3 x 8 port: 21 available ports, $45, $2.25 per user

2 x 16 port: 30 available ports, $70, $3.50 per user

for 15 users:

4 x 5 port: 16 available ports, $40, $2.67 per user

3 x 8 port: 21 available ports, $45, $3.00 per user

1 x 16 port: 15 available ports, $35, $2.33 per user

So unless you can get a fantastic deal on the smaller switch or no specifically how many people you will have and will always have a larger one will make sense. More usable ports per dollar.

Hi guys!

I'm throwing a 48 hour LAN party in December and i don't know for sure if the network will hold up. 

It is at my house where i have a 50down 50up fibre connection with a Fritz!Box 7390 router with 5GHz WiFi. (thing is freaking expensive!)

There will be 15 to 20 people showing up and i want to all have an ethernet connection. 

What i plan to do is buy some switches like this (it is 100MB/s) one with all 5 ports or so and then connect one switch to the router and then one switch to the other and that one to the other ect. And then connect all the computers to the switches. 

Will it even work and will my fibre internet give a decent speed for everyone and not a too high ping? 

I will probably use CAT6 cables. 

Thanks!

Edit: When i'm connected trough a 30m CAT5 cable i get 50 down 70 up. Maybe usefull to know.

Edit 2.0: here is a little image i made to give you an idea what i want to do but it has one switch, not 5.

post-14387-0-41669700-1416474015.png

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

It should defiantly be fine even if someone starts a download.

(Im so jealous of your internet speed mines 7 down and 1 up)

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

It should defiantly be fine even if someone starts a download.

(Im so jealous of your internet speed mines 7 down and 1 up)

yeah, i've heard that Australia has terrible internet! Sorry to hear that! Here in the Netherlands fibre is almost a standart.  

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

yeah, i've heard that Australia has terrible internet! Sorry to hear that! Here in the Netherlands fibre is almost a standart.  

Yer its terrible at times especially around night when everyone in the neighborhood is using it and it can go down to 4 down. Plus side is some Telstra workers were doing some work with a new conduit up the road so im hoping for fiber end of next year

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

I'd suggest getting larger switches for two reasons. For a start there'll be less cables and less switches which means there'll be less points of failure and it'll be easier to troubleshoot. It's also just plain old more cost effective. Looking at prices at an Australian retailer for different switch sizes and are connecting to a central switch you already have (i.e. -1 port each):

for 20 users:

for 15 users:

So unless you can get a fantastic deal on the smaller switch or no specifically how many people you will have and will always have a larger one will make sense. More usable ports per dollar.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

for 20 users:

for 15 users:

Thanks dude! This really helped!