Do i need a cpu cooler if im only seeing if my systen posts

Loafan

you dont get it...you need a SIGNIFICANT load to be applied on it...even a full boot wont damage anything.

I do get it. I've seen tons of cases where people tell me "I get bluescreens on my new system while gaming" and I tack down that crappy intel cooler with the weird plastic pegs that people don't always get right down, and it fixes it.

But why risk it? And I've seen it crash on boot before from a loose heatsink. Why tell someone to run it without a heatsink? Someone I knew swapped coolers, didn't attach something, had problem, left it for a while, then after that cpu would not pass any validation for all of  it's threads. It can happen. Why do that? 

They are capable of heating super fast. Imagine if they had an OC set or something, or stay in the bios too long. Rare case, and thermal shutoff likely saves them if it heats slowly enough, but why? Why fucking tell them that? 

I have never seen anyone in their right mind recommend that to anyone. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

it will be fine I have done it its not a issue 

maby on a older system but not a 4790k

it will be fine I have done it its not a issue 

maby on a older system but not a 4790k

Are you speaking of the better thermal crap between the die and plate? Or am I interpreting wrong? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

its fine Its impossible to overheat a modern intel chip to the point of doing damage there is a hardwired resetable thermal fuse in the proc he could run it at load and not hurt anything 

its fine Its impossible to overheat a modern intel chip to the point of doing damage there is a hardwired resetable thermal fuse in the proc he could run it at load and not hurt anything 

Which you are right. Especially now that they have better paste.  Some times if a heatsink is not secure and the tower is vertical you cant even make it to the bios. It shuts off. But why? Why not take 3 seconds to slap thermal compound and some metal on it? 

And what I don't know if if AMD is the same. The old thunderbirds  would just smoke if you did that. 

muh specs 

All parts black

correct...and as i said even browsing the bios all night will not get the cpu anywhere near hot enough to the point where it would have to trottle down...let alone shutting down.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

correct...and as i said even browsing the bios all night will not get the cpu anywhere near hot enough to the point where it would have to trottle down...let alone shutting down.

I just took my heatsink off on my sandy desktop. Don't care, as I paid 50$ for the CPU, it's a non-k, and if I fried it, I could step up an ivy one. ...like a 3770k or something.  

Anyway took 3 tries to get into the bios. Lasted for 30 seconds before shutoff.

Again, this is stupid. Why recommend this? What advantage does it serve the OP? 

muh specs 

All parts black

sandy bridge != haswell

also the problems posting may have had more todo with the lack of pressure then anything else 

sandy bridge != haswell

also the problems posting may have had more todo with the lack of pressure then anything else 

Yah, you are right. 

And what What? lol

I can retry with plastic in-between the water block and heatplate it you'd like. I see people leave the peel off plastic on all of the time, and get the same results. Idk about haswell, doubt it's that different. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I just took my heatsink off on my sandy desktop. Don't care, as I paid 50$ for the CPU, it's a non-k, and if I fried it, I could step up an ivy one. ...like a 3770k or something.  

Anyway took 3 tries to get into the bios. Lasted for 30 seconds before shutoff.

Again, this is stupid. Why recommend this? What advantage does it serve the OP? 

put your finger on it and it will work just fine, it just need some pressure for the pins to make good contact, dont worry you wont burn yourself the cpu wont even get hot..see?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

put your finger on it and it will work just fine, it just need some pressure for the pins to make good contact, dont worry you wont burn yourself the cpu wont even get hot..see?

The cpu is held in place by the bracket. wut lol

Guess what? Same result. 

muh specs 

All parts black

if this cooler wasn't such a bastard to remove I would shoot a quick video with my cell :lol:

That has the newer thermal compound, right? 

muh specs 

All parts black

And meanwhile the whole point is why tell someone to do this? 

muh specs 

All parts black

That has the newer thermal compound, right? 

it has nothing todo with thermal compound 

your system should post and run without a heatsink 

if its not posting the board may have its own thermal protection set quiet a bit lower then the cpu's own protection AFAIK some boards default to ~75C

or the pins are "set" from having the water block on and the sudden change is socket tension is causing a issue reseat the proc to confirm

the point being is that there is zero chance of doing any damage to the cpu or rest of the system by posting it without installing the cooler

a pentium 4 will run without a cooler 

it has nothing todo with thermal compound 

your system should post and run without a heatsink 

if its not posting the board may have its own thermal protection set quiet a bit lower then the cpu's own protection AFAIK some boards default to ~75C

or the pins are "set" from having the water block on and the sudden change is socket tension is causing a issue reseat the proc to confirm

the point being is that there is zero chance of doing any damage to the cpu or rest of the system by posting it without installing the cooler

a pentium 4 will run without a cooler 

I just pulled my halfway off waterblock off with my system on, leaving it on one side lightly. I recorded it. It throttled to 800 MHz, and went up to 98c immediately despite bineg at 800mhz, at which point I set the block down a little, which allowed it to stay at 98. It maintained 98 for a few seconds at 800Mhz until I pressed it down the rest of the way. 

Would it be different on haswell? idk. Would it be different in the bios starting at 800Mhz? Probably. But you can't use windows without it on a sandy, that's for sure. 

It is worth mentioning I'm running one screen in a 3 screen setup on the integrated gpu, but I assume someone testing outside the case would be using it as well

I was trying not to let my system shut off, but I knocked one of the thread inserts in that crappy plastic back plate out of wack, so I hard to turn it off to fix that anyway. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I just pulled my halfway off waterblock off with my system on, leaving it on one side lightly. I recorded it. It throttled to 800 MHz, and went up to 98c immediately despite bineg at 800mhz, at which point I set the block down a little, which allowed it to stay at 98. It maintained 98 for a few seconds at 800Mhz until I pressed it down the rest of the way. 

Would it be different on haswell? idk. Would it be different in the bios starting at 800Mhz? Probably. But you can't use windows without it on a sandy, that's for sure. 

It is worth mentioning I'm running one screen in a 3 screen setup on the integrated gpu, but I assume someone testing outside the case would be using it as well

I was trying not to let my system shut off, but I knocked one of the thread inserts in that crappy plastic back plate out of wack, so I hard to turn it off to fix that anyway. 

you are bullshiting. just stop.

Yea, it's prefectly safe to boot (especially to POST) a CPU without a cooler, my noise testbench doesn't have a CPU cooler on it at all and I have never had it overheat, even in Windows. And it's Sandy.

Likewise I've run my 4930k without a CPU cooler on multiple occasions (again, running Windows and even using publisher).

Not saying it's ideal, and you definitely shouldn't run a system without a cooler, but for POST testing, you absolutely don't need it.

you are bullshiting. just stop.

Oh fine, fuck you. I'll upload the video to a gfy tonight when I get home. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Oh fine, fuck you. I'll upload the video to a gfy tonight when I get home.

Did not think my post would start fights. Took your advice. Put stock heat sink. System posted. Better safe than sorry but another question. A cable stoped the cpu fan from spinning and the whole system shut off. Do you think my mobo would even run without one plugged in?

Yeah i've done it before never had a problem just once it posts turn it off right away

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

Did not think my post would start fights. Took your advice. Put stock heat sink. System posted. Better safe than sorry but another question. A cable stoped the cpu fan from spinning and the whole system shut off. Do you think my mobo would even run without one plugged in?

Without the fan? yea it should. It may give you a warning, but should be no problem. Long as you have something on there I wouldn't worry. I've even heard of people testing with just the waterblock. 

Don't even know why they recommended that. It's no advantage, risky, and bad practice especially if you are not careful. No other tech forum have I even seen that kinda unprofessional crap. 

muh specs 

All parts black