Drive Mapping Remains When Removed From Scope of Management

Go to solution Solved by SlayerOfHellWyrm,

I got it working after a while. For some reason, I had to check off the "reconnect" box for the drive mapping to disappear when it was not supposed to be mapped. I have no idea why, I must've missed that lesson.

A quick background: Taking a course called Windows Network Services. We're dealing with GPO at the moment, and I'm having an issue where I'm having to map some drives to shares on a member server, but the drives are to be unmapped when the user is no longer within that SOM.

I have a user: M_test

I have the following OU structure:

Acme

Corporate Staff

Amsterdam

IT

Manufacturing

Sales

Other Offices

Task Force

Each OU has a corresponding security group within it, so that users in that group with have the corresponding GPO applying to the OU, applying to them. Each of the Amsterdam OU's (IT/Sales/Manu.) has a GPO that maps a share of the same name, on a member server as the G: drive. Task Force does the same, but, as the T: drive. When I put m_test into the Task Force group of course, the corresponding share is mapped correctly, but once m_test is put anywhere else, and removed from the SOM, the drive mapping remains./

I have set the drive maps to "Replace", and under the common tab I've checked off "Remove this item when it is no longer applied" so, the mappings should be removed once the policy is no longer being applied, but they aren't.

I'm new to GPO, so I have no idea what's going on here.

If you'd like me to post pictures, I definitely can.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

This is basic I know, but I have to ask, you are doing a GPUpdate or restarting aren't you?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

This is basic I know, but I have to ask, you are doing a GPUpdate or restarting aren't you?

Yep. Even gone through and checked the policy is no longer being applied through:

GPRESULT /Scope User /V

And the results are what I'd expect, that it's not, however the drive mappings remain.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Does a restart resolve after a GPUpdate? Something can be funny through GP and won't come off. 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Does a restart resolve after a GPUpdate? Something can be funny through GP and won't come off. 

Nope. I should've mentioned, the mappings are also targeted to only apply to the respective users, if they are in the OU... which the mobile test user is not. I'm wondering if perhaps I need to re-make the users.

[update] That just broke shit further, so now I'm re-doing all of it. Oh, how I love GPO

GPO's are good for situations where you don't need to change stuff haha! 

Give me a minute to ponder.

Can you screenshot your full settings or you not allowed?

I got it working after a while. For some reason, I had to check off the "reconnect" box for the drive mapping to disappear when it was not supposed to be mapped. I have no idea why, I must've missed that lesson.