PC Lag and best fixes please? (seriously need help)

Guest Console Peasant

I dont have any issues with Minecraft, and I have the same cpu as you. I play both Vanilla Mincraft, and use Feed the Beast. As for most modern games, would help with a little info; which games exactly? I don't have Farcry 4 at the moment, as I am waiting on more opinions over the game. So I can not really let you know if the CPU is been the factor here, or something not working right on your system. 

hm ok, thats weird. because its definitely not my gpu bottlenecking minecraft, heres some games which have had unnecessarily bad performance:

Far Cry 4 and 3

Wolfenstein: TNO

GTA 4

Minecraft

Watch dogs

All boderlands

all Saints row

I have both Farcry 3 and GTA 4, both run great. What are your cpu temps while gaming?

I have both Farcry 3 and GTA 4, both run great. What are your cpu temps while gaming?

ill run a quick test on far cry 3 and get back to you fps and temps

Something for you to try, take out one of your ram sticks; and make sure your remaining 2 are in the correct ram slots for dual channel mode. With 3 sticks of 4gb, it is possible your pc is only running the ram in single channel; which could slow down your system. Should be the blue ram slots, but you will have to check the manual for your motherboard.

Something for you to try, take out one of your ram sticks; and make sure your remaining 2 are in the correct ram slots for dual channel mode. With 3 sticks of 4gb, it is possible your pc is only running the ram in single channel; which could slow down your system. Should be the blue ram slots, but you will have to check the manual for your motherboard.

after a quick test, that isnt it. even if it was in single channel im not sure if it would be a bottleneck anyway.

Also this is quite important, it isnt 2 memory sticks and an extra 4, its one 8 and one 4, pc part picker doesnt have any so I had to substitute for the sake of the link. My bad

And? It might be fine on other games. We can only hope Nvidia takes Mantle. His CPU is still better than the cpu in a console. Those are 1.6 and 1.75 GHZ AMD CPU's that are basically the same thing and the PS4 has the wrong ram paired with the CPU, and the XB1 has the wrong ram paired with the GPU. Yet that epic piece of crap in the PS4 can run a locked 30 on Far Cry 4.

People often do not simply have the money to go out and buy a whole new motherboard/chip at the drop of a hat. The problem here is that his CPU SHOULD be fine and it isn't. My 4770k? Should LAUGH at Far Cry 4, yet it chugs at times. Hexas should be able to play this game and run 10,000 youtube videos in the background.  Like this one.

The problem with that? The 8350 would still struggle in this game. :(. We simply need a new API, cus even overclocked Intel's can't handle these new games. I wouldn't bother playing Farcry on anything but a overclocked I5 atm. The CPU optimization is simply THAT bad. 

Oh really? Going to test after few hours. We will see.

So its best for me to get the intel anyway? (since for 8350 im needing a 990x mobo?)

You know i dont think ocing the 8350 would do something. Maybe 5Ghz but you need a cooler for that.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

hm ok, thats weird. because its definitely not my gpu bottlenecking minecraft, heres some games which have had unnecessarily bad performance:

Far Cry 4 and 3

Wolfenstein: TNO

GTA 4

Minecraft

Watch dogs

All boderlands

all Saints row

So throw out the idea of upgrading. Something is bad.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

Oh really? Going to test after few hours. We will see.

You know i dont think ocing the 8350 would do something. Maybe 5Ghz but you need a cooler for that.

Wish you luck my friend. Mine actually runs a little bit better than Totalbiscuit's Haswell hexa and GTX 980 does though. He has to run with no AA at all. I run with SMAA and my only real bad stuttering happens driving. Other than that the game isn't horrible stuttering. I prob just have higher single core overclock than he has and maybe the higher bandwidth on the AMD card helps out a bit when that happens. Who knows.

Like he says the game will be running all out on one core and when that happens my R9 290 skyrockets down and I will get a hitch/stutter. Usually happens while driving. Basically the CPU optimization sucks balls. My Afterburner looks like a roller coaster while driving a fast vehicle like a four wheeler. Doubt today's Nvidia patch will help either. That will just fix SLI. Problem is the game.

Oh I can play it, but it still ticks me off. I imagine it will be worse, the worse single core is on a CPU. Also the people claiming the game runs smooth with TXAA/MSAA are out of their minds. I don't even get a locked 60 on SMAA, let alone MSAA. The game looks fantastic with SMAA though. Like I said in the other thread, if they can fix CPU optimization the game is pretty good. It is Ubisoft though. :(

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/some-farcry-4-concerns-prelaunch

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Wish you luck my friend. Mine actually runs a little bit better than Totalbiscuit's Haswell hexa and GTX 980 does though. He has to run with no AA at all. I run with SMAA and my only real bad stuttering happens driving. Other than that the game isn't horrible stuttering. I prob just have higher single core overclock than he has and maybe the higher bandwidth on the AMD card helps out a bit when that happens. Who knows.

Like he says the game will be running all out on one core and when that happens my R9 290 skyrockets down and I will get a hitch/stutter. Usually happens while driving. Basically the CPU optimization sucks balls. My Afterburner looks like a roller coaster while driving a fast vehicle like a four wheeler. Doubt today's Nvidia patch will help either. That will just fix SLI. Problem is the game.

Oh I can play it, but it still ticks me off. I imagine it will be worse, the worse single core is on a CPU. Also the people claiming the game runs smooth with TXAA/MSAA are out of their minds. I don't even get a locked 60 on SMAA, let alone MSAA. The game looks fantastic with SMAA though. Like I said in the other thread, if they can fix CPU optimization the game is pretty good. It is Ubisoft though. :(

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/some-farcry-4-concerns-prelaunch

hahahaha nvidia - AMD : (jk)

Highlights of AMD Catalyst™ 14.11.2 Windows® Beta Driver Performance Improvements

• Dragon Age: Inquisition performance optimizations

- Up to 5% performance increase over Catalyst™ 14.11.1 beta in single GPU scenarios with Anti-Aliasing enabled.

- Optimized AMD CrossFire™ profile

• Far Cry 4 performance optimizations

- Up to 50% performance increase over Catalyst™ 14.11.1 beta in single GPU scenarios with Anti-Aliasing enabled.

•  
  •  
  •  
  • Single core oc ? how to do that?

NAZIS WILL RISE.

What could it be, Im guessing a lot of boring testing is about to occur for me D:

What could it be, Im guessing a lot of boring testing is about to occur for me D:

Well you have a low end cpu so you have an excuse for an awesome christmas present :D

NAZIS WILL RISE.

Well you have a low end cpu

Well you say that, but fairly often the FX-4300 is almost comparable in performance within games to your 8350; as all your cpu's additional cores are not utilised within games. There is often only a few frames difference, with your chips performance only slightly edging ahead. In Battlefield 4 for instance, I can hit an average FPS of around 100; with a max fps of up 120, and a minimum of 80 at more intense times on a full 64 player server (I run on High settings at 1080p, though I can run it perfectly fine in ultra at about 80fps average). But, the Multitasking while playing a game is far better on your CPU because of those additional cores. I have had my FX-4300 for a while now, I would love a better cpu myself; but this one is very capable. More so than people give it credit for. Also, I do have my cpu currently running a 400MHz overclock at 1.3v. I do agree it is aged now though, and there are better CPU's out there. But I do firmly believe the op should wait a little before contemplating an upgrade. I think the op is having something not working right, or there is a conflicting piece of software using the cpu at the same time as gaming.

Op, what antivirus are you using, and what other programs do you usually have running in the background on you pc?

That CPU is definitely the problem. A better fx chip would be a relatively cheap upgrade. Something like an 8320.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

That CPU is definitely the problem. A better fx chip would be a relatively cheap upgrade. Something like an 8320.

That relatively cheap upgrade is well, relative to be honest. Refer to my post just above yours. The 8320 and 8350 wont make much difference at all within the vast majority of games, only moving to an intel chip would. Both of those upgrades routes can still be hit and miss. Unless the op is recording game play or live streaming at the same time, then their system should be running the games listed perfectly fine. As I have already pointed out, I am using the exact same cpu. Even at stock speeds, that cpu can handle the games listed and more. There is obviously something else going on with the ops computer that is hindering the overall performance, but without more information; it will be impossible to be 100% sure what that is.

I wouldn't advise anyone at this point to upgrade within the current AMD FX line up of CPU's, as a swap to intel would be more beneficial in the long run. This is why I suggest the Op wait it out a little to see what AMD have coming within the next year, and try to diagnose what is causing their current woes. It certainly isn't the FX-4300 with those games listed. 

That relatively cheap upgrade is well, relative to be honest. Refer to my post just above yours. The 8320 and 8350 wont make much difference at all within the vast majority of games, only moving to an intel chip would. Both of those upgrades routes can still be hit and miss. Unless the op is recording game play or live streaming at the same time, then their system should be running the games listed perfectly fine. As I have already pointed out, I am using the exact same cpu. Even at stock speeds, that cpu can handle the games listed and more. There is obviously something else going on with the ops computer that is hindering the overall performance, but without more information; it will be impossible to be 100% sure what that is.

I wouldn't advise anyone at this point to upgrade within the current AMD FX line up of CPU's, as a swap to intel would be more beneficial in the long run. This is why I suggest the Op wait it out a little to see what AMD have coming within the next year, and try to diagnose what is causing their current woes. It certainly isn't the FX-4300 with those games listed. 

So what could be wrong? I'll try some troubleshooting and tests of hard drive etc but this kinda worries me.

Nuh uhh AMD sux, intel muster rac.

Is there some type of tests I should be running to troubleshoot this?

Just the usual stuff, which is seeing what is running in the background, running a memory test, testing hard drives, running some form of burn test to check stability. Just the usual things. Also, I asked before as to what anti-virus you are using on your system. Some of them are known to be resource hogs, such as Norton and Mcafee. What version of windows are you using?

Is there some type of tests I should be running to troubleshoot this?

Sometimes it could be something is using your cpu. Go to taks manager and check also whats your cpu usage on idle?

NAZIS WILL RISE.

Sometimes it could be something is using your cpu. Go to taks manager and check also whats your cpu usage on idle?

I regularly check my cpu usage, at idle its at 5% usage with steam running in the background

Just the usual stuff, which is seeing what is running in the background, running a memory test, testing hard drives, running some form of burn test to check stability. Just the usual things. Also, I asked before as to what anti-virus you are using on your system. Some of them are known to be resource hogs, such as Norton and Mcafee. What version of windows are you using?

will be running some tests. my anti virus is microsoft security essentials. The most using program that's usually taking up my cpu usage is chrome.

That is not the motherboard you have listed in your parts list within your signature! 

The motherboard you just linked me too might just be what is causing your issues, as it is running on the 700 series chipset (760G to be precise), which I believe first released in 2008. It was never designed to work with the Bulldozer (released 2011) and Piledriver (2012) FX CPU's, compatibility has just been bolted onto it. The fact the 700 series chipset has been used by Asrock on a motherboard made in 2012 is pretty mind boggling. I can honestly say that I would buy a new motherboard if I was you, something in the 970 or 990fx range. But if you do decide to do that, then it would probably just pay you to swap to intel and get an i5. Just don't cheap out on the motherboard. Cheap ones can be ok, but it pays to get a fairly decent gaming based one. It also pays to check out every little bit of info you can on things like the chipset built onto the motherboard. And try to pick one that has compatibility for your cpu from the base Bios software and the chipset.