4790k refuses to rise frequency above stock

Iron-Maiden
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Try reflashing your board using BIOS Flashback(putting the BIOS onto a flash drive, shutting off the system and holding down the Flashback button with the drive in the appropriate USB port[labeled]). I know you said you've updated the BIOS already, but I think it's worth a shot. This will completely refresh the BIOS.

Good day

I just replaced my old i7-930 platfrom with brand new 4790k and Asus Z97-WS, but encountered some weird problem.

I havent reinstalled system and just started it up to check how it works, then tried to set cpu frequency to 4.4Ghz by default in UEFI bios and evething seems worked fine, but as soon as system loads up it resests frequency to default 4.0Ghz! I do use RealTemp and CPUID to monitor temps and cpu speed. At first i though it might be some power saving thing, so i started Prime95, Aida, even WoW, same thing, it just uses same x40 multiplier. I even tried different options in bios and used preset OC settings, in bios it says 4400 bla-bla but as soon as system loads up i see cpu speeds in RealTemp showing 4400 but it resets to default 4.0 in a few seconds.

Any suggestions folks? Im quite new to new UEFI bios and this brand new features, but never seen anything like this with previous platform, is it possible because of old system?

Heat throttling?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Heat throttling?

Nah, using H100i and in idle mode around 35c, and with some stress testing like Aida and Prime95 its 63-67 at 1.25 volts

Try disabling Turbo Boost in the BIOS.

As soon as i disable Turbo Boost it somehow resets bios setting with cpu multiplier. I set it to manual and sync cores to 44 and then Turbo Mode off and poof, cores multiplier is set to auto or something.

Im kinda first time when im out of ideas what to do next in my 15 years OC experience  :(

Is your board set to automatically clear CMOS upon reboot?

When in doubt: C4

Is your board set to automatically clear CMOS upon reboot?

Hmmm, i doubt because it saves settings from last reboot, its shows everything right and correct in bios from last visits. Even via CPUID it shows quite correct cpu voltage and memory speeds, but what is messing around is cpu multiplier. Maybe im wrong of course..

Alright, then it's not clearing the CMOS.

Is your CPU multiplier set to auto?

Any other settings set to auto? voltage? Most things should be set manually

Alright, then it's not clearing the CMOS.

Is your CPU multiplier set to auto?

Any other settings set to auto? voltage? Most things should be set manually

I tried to clear CMOS few times to make sure everything is "dumped" and updated bios of course to last version.

CPU multiplier is set to 44 and sync all cores, core voltage is manual "override" to 1.250

Amount of options in UEFI bios is just owerwhelming so i start to think maybe i miss something new and sneaky, but "key" settings are set to manual and set right i think. C-state off, Speedstep off, voltage is set, multiplier is set, dram voltage set

I don't know then. Have you used multiple programs in windows to measure the frequency?

Never mind.

I don't think it has anything to do with your old installation as the CPU and motherboard have been recognized. That shouldn't affect anything at all.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I don't know then. Have you used multiple programs in windows to measure the frequency?

I used CPUID and RealTemp so far, but they seems working fine as i tried different power saving modes in Windows7 and cpu frequency lowered bellow stock 4.0ghz to 2.0ghz or even less. Plus at startup, when Win7 loading RealTemp shows 4.4ghz for a second. But again, Prime95, Aida and even opening 60 Google Chrome tabs not forcing it to run at 4.4ghz again  :(

I'm out of suggestions then :/
Somebody else who knows a bit more about overclocking might be able to help (i hope so.)

Never mind.

I don't think it has anything to do with your old installation as the CPU and motherboard have been recognized. That shouldn't affect anything at all.

That still bothers me because cpu speeds are going down only when system finish loading. Still, i doubt bios can change settings on his own in Win7 without my direct influence, but again, speeds change in Win7 system itself..

Try reflashing your board using BIOS Flashback(putting the BIOS onto a flash drive, shutting off the system and holding down the Flashback button with the drive in the appropriate USB port[labeled]). I know you said you've updated the BIOS already, but I think it's worth a shot. This will completely refresh the BIOS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Yep, good idea i think. For some reason i had issues with entering bios few times, especially when it was system restart, not hard reset, UEFI bios just locked up at main screen as soon as i enter it. Made me wonder, "workstation" motherboard and unstable bios launch.

Have you tried it?

Have you tried it?

Will try this in the evening, now unfortunately at work, but still ready for any other suggestions as situation seems quite uncommon.

Have you tried it?

Problem solved! I made Flashback bios update, then cleared CMOS by removing battery for a few minutes and bios works now properly with fixed speeds in Win7. Seems updating bios in Windows was not really good idea even for such advanced motherboard.

Working now at 4.7 at 1.26v rock sold with temp around 69-75c in Aida64 with FPU.

Thanks for help!

Good.

Man those temps are high, you should go with water cooling it's better than aio cooling.

Man those temps are high, you should go with water cooling it's better than aio cooling.

AIOs use water.

AIOs use water.

I am aware of this my good friend, but if he would like better temps he/she should go for a water-cooling set with the whole nine yards. 

I am aware of this my good friend, but if he would like better temps he/she should go for a water-cooling set with the whole nine yards. 

I think its quite good temps for running synthetic stress test utility, especially for Haswell chips (Well, maybe im wrong of course). Plus i do use it only for gaming, not some video editing/rendering/streaming or other "scientific" stuff. But i am still in process of tunning it, 4.7 is quite a lot for me and not even tried to reduce vcore yet  :)