New Graphics Card $400-500 AUD

DrunkAssassin

Hey guys,

So I have saved up a decent amount of money from my casual job and I am in the market for a new card and could stretch the budget a fair bit if it is worth while, I will just have to save for a few more weeks which shouldn't be too much of an issue. I want a graphics card which can drive two 1080p monitors, one main screen for gaming and another for web browsing fairly simple stuff, I will more than likely also be pickin up an oculus dk 2 or the consumer version if that comes quick enough and need to be able to power that. I am not too fussed about settings in game but I would prefer to have 60+ fps without dips on highish settings.

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

I was looking at the 970's and 980's but i was wondering how they stack up against the R9 290 and other similar cards?

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

I was looking at the 970's and 980's but i was wondering how they stack up against the R9 290 and other similar cards?

I know it says Strix, but at least you get a comparison between the 970 vs 290.

The Strix isn't a bad option either.

This is a review of the exact same product.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

I know it says Strix, but at least you get a comparison between the 970 vs 290.

-snip-

This is a review of the exact same product.

-snip-

Thanks, those give me a pretty good idea but I also notice the 780 was doing a bit better at roughly the same price at my local pc shop would it still be worth getting a 780, also I forgot to mention in my original post that I will more than likely be Xfire'ing or SLI'ing later on like I did with my 7950's

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

-snip if it works mobile being a bitch-

:)

that helps quite a bit I check the prices of the 970 and 290X and the 970 is like $50 cheaper and trades with the 290X in most games at less power consumption, heat and noise so I think this may be the go to card for me in this case, might pick up an EVGA one so I can plasti-dip it orange to match my build.

That helps quite a bit I check the prices of the 970 and 290X and the 970 is like $50 cheaper and trades with the 290X in most games at less power consumption, heat and noise so I think this may be the go to card for me in this case, might pick up an EVGA one so I can plasti-dip it orange to match my build.

Yeah, sorry about that, my iPad was being a bit retarded. Makes one annoyed!!! :angry:

That's what ya get for trying to be helpful apparently. :rolleyes:

Well, yeah, the GTX 970 is a good option. I hope it all works out for ya mate! :)

Yeah, sorry about that, my iPad was being a bit retarded. Makes one annoyed!!! :angry:

That's what ya get for trying to be helpful apparently. :rolls eyes:

Well, yeah, the GTX 970 is a good option. I hope it all works out for ya mate! :)

Yeah I am on ipad aswell, does it make it so when you are attempting to reply the text goes off the screen and you just have to hope for the best

Yeah I am on ipad aswell, does it make it so when you are attempting to reply the text goes off the screen and you just have to hope for the best

Yeah, sometimes. But I was just trying to copy the correct links for the correct benchmarks and something went pear shaped and it put 3 links for the R9 290/290X vs GTX 980 benchmarks and I just had to delete it all and start again. Hence the reason it's retarded. *annoyance sigh*

970 and 980 are overall much faster and more power effcient than R9 290

On 1920x1080p:

980 is 22% faster than R9 290

970 is 10% faster than R9 290

Source:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_980_STRIX_OC/25.html

Price:

Cheapest Non-refernces R9 290 is $379

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9290aedfd

Cheapest Non-refernces 970 is $485

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp41970kr

There's also a refernces model 970 selling at $429

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1692&products_id=29359

980 is $214~ more and is bit overpriced in my opinion.

Do ya have a good power supply?

Alienware Aurora-R3  Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz (6MB Cache) Overclocked  to 3.3GHz
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0