Gtx 970 should i wait past coil whine issues?

JeroenB
Hello,

I have been  searching around the web this week and i just cant set my mind off the gtx 970. I kinda wanna buy one ( having a msi gaming gtx660 2013 model) tho i read that there are so many problems concern coil whine.

I was first planning on buying a msi gtx 970 tho then i read that there are sooo many coil whine problems with that card that i kinda thinkk, well... asus then? (I dont want a gigabyte one).

Asus should have less coil whine right? because of the solid chokes and what not. Other reads say that asus is a more of a quality brand then msi, and that the build quality( metal + backplate) is better compared to the msi one. 

I've also noticed that asus has been reviewed professionally way more times on youtube, linus etc... is that a sign of preferece?

Tho ive read as well that the RMA with asus is pretty bad. ( tho i havent heard extremely good things from msi eighter). This will be my first really expensive gpu so i kinda want a card that has no issues. 

Can you guys help me out with this one?

Should i wait for a possible fix that they will release or for a revisioned card that comes with a later batch. Or is that unneccecarly and are most of the cards just fine and is the internet just doing its thing again ( wich is hating).  Btw i have asked two friends who both recently bought the gtx 970 from msi and they say they dont have any problems at all. 

( btw ive noticed that many peeps are torn between gigabyte and msi and that the msi is clearly more populair than the asus one.. wich results in more faulty chances)

Other than that, if the coil whine thing is a issue with msi and asus doesnt suffer as mutch from it as msi does, do you recomment me the card from asus then? Cuz i has lower stats ( does it matter alot?), Does the backplate and fan housing ( from metal) really make a difference or does it only add weight to the card wich results in sagging..

Btw i live in the netherlands and atm all cards are available here:

the msi one is 354.90 euro = 443.48 dollar

asus is 366 euro = 457.35 dollar  

thank you in advance!

Coil whine is something that will never go away with high end graphics cards. You can't wait it out.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

Pretty much every brand of 970 has a chance of coil whine. It is not particular to a single manufacturer.

If you want it, you can buy any 970 and take a chance of having coil whine. If it does have coil whine, hopefully the store you bought it from allows you to exchange it with a different one...
Not every 970 has coil whine so you might get lucky on your first or second or third try.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Pretty much every brand of 970 has a chance of coil whine. It is not particular to a single manufacturer.

If you want it, you can buy any 970 and take a chance of having coil whine. If it does have coil whine, hopefully the store you bought it from allows you to exchange it with a different one...

Not every 970 has coil whine so you might get lucky on your first or second or third try.

So its not like that asus has less chance of coil whine compared to asus? Cuz if that IS the case and asus does have less of doesnt have any of it, i might me able to sacrifice a lil overclockability.

PS. on my current msi gaming gtx660 oc i heared whinig as well after ~half a year of usage.. its not very loud anymore and i cant hear it really tho i was very annying cuz i changed when looking to the floor or in the distance when in game & switching to the world map etc..

So its not like that asus has less chance of coil whine compared to asus? Cuz if that IS the case and asus does have less of doesnt have any of it, i might me able to sacrifice a lil overclockability.

PS. on my current msi gaming gtx660 oc i heared whinig as well after ~half a year of usage.. its not very loud anymore and i cant hear it really tho i was very annying cuz i changed when looking to the floor or in the distance when in game & switching to the world map etc..

I hear about all the brands having coil whine issues. Im not sure about the actual statistics, but to get a decent idea you can go to newegg.com and look at the reviews for each brand of 970 and see which looks like it has the least reports of coil whine per customer.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I hear about all the brands having coil whine issues. Im not sure about the actual statistics, but to get a decent idea you can go to newegg.com and look at the reviews for each brand of 970 and see which looks like it has the least reports of coil whine per customer.

alright ive checked it, the msi has some coil whine issues on newegg tho it seems its not THAT bad, i read alot more people complain the mouspad wasnt in the box or smelled like dried squid Lol...  On the asus department however ( that is sold out) it had quite some coil whine posts..

alright ive checked it, the msi has some coil whine issues on newegg tho it seems its not THAT bad, i read alot more people complain the mouspad wasnt in the box or smelled like dried squid Lol...  On the asus department however ( that is sold out) it had quite some coil whine posts..

Well then go with whichever seems to have the least coil whine issues and pray for good luck :)

I would also ask the place where youre buying from to see if they would allow you to return a card with coil whine.

Spoiler

Well then go with whichever seems to have the least coil whine issues and pray for good luck :)

I would also ask the place where youre buying from to see if they would allow you to return a card with coil whine.

after reading more of those newegg reviews, i saw that the msi with 130 reviews has 69% 5 star while asus has 75 with 92 reviews, other than that i read alot of msi card sagging and bending and such, and ive read none about the asus card.

the maxwell cards were designed to be manufactured at a much lower cost than the 600-700 series, but considering the cost cuts the Maxwell cards don't whine any more than previous generation cards, its just that people are pushing them really really hard. I don't think too many high end graphic cards are going to be free of coil whine when they are being run at their peak limits. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

idk yet, i think il just wait until all old cards are away here.. ( cuz those returned cards will be reseled right?) i think il just wait and after that try the msi version. Its 12 euro cheaper and runs better, my only concern is the weight, ive gotten quite some reviews of peeps saying it sags because it lacks a backplate. I dont really wanna destroy my pci-e port here :P

and about the coil whine thing, it seems like both asus and msi have it. But ive read that asus has it alot less noisy were as with msi its unbarable ( if i must believe the comments)

I had 2-way gtx 970 STRIX for about 3 weeks now and don't have coil whine on either card. Maybe I'm lucky, idk, but my experience has been good with it.

yea okay, i think the chances for having coil whine are 50/50. Now il need to choose. The gigabyte version idk seems quite populair.... tho is the asus and msi :P .. Damn why do they make this so hard.