Good upgrade from Audio Technica ATH-M50x?

Hi,

I'm currently using the Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones paired with an Objective2 and ODAC combo.

I was thinking of upgrading to a better pair of headphones that would make better use of the Objective2.

I'll be using it for listening to music and playing games. I generally listen to Orchestra (Video game soundtracks) and rock music. Most of my music files are in FLAC format which I play on Foobar2000 with the Wasapi plugin. This pair of headphones will only be used on my desktop so size and portability is not an issue.

Here are the requirements:

• Clean, Neutral sound.
  • Solid and sturdy build quality.
  • Utilizes the Objective2's capabilities well.
  • Circumaural
  • All black (I'm very obsessed with aesthetics)

I don't currently have a budget but it would be great if you could suggest a pair of headphones that is, in your opinion, worth the money. Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I seem too picky.

Thanks

Shure SRH-1540s! They do have a little added bass, but it's nothing substantial. they are amazing & super sexy  :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Hi,

I'm currently using the Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones paired with an Objective2 and ODAC combo.

I was thinking of upgrading to a better pair of headphones that would make better use of the Objective2.

I'll be using it for listening to music and playing games. I generally listen to Orchestra (Video game soundtracks) and rock music. Most of my music files are in FLAC format which I play on Foobar2000 with the Wasapi plugin. This pair of headphones will only be used on my desktop so size and portability is not an issue.

Here are the requirements:

• Clean, Neutral sound.
  • Solid and sturdy build quality.
  • Utilizes the Objective2's capabilities well.
  • Circumaural
  • All black (I'm very obsessed with aesthetics)

I don't currently have a budget but it would be great if you could suggest a pair of headphones that is, in your opinion, worth the money. Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I seem too picky.

Thanks

Are you thinking about open or closed headphones?

What does "use O2's capabilities well" even mean? That's like buying a graphics card because it's more power hungry and thus "uses the PSU's capabilities well".

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

What does "use O2's capabilities well" even mean? That's like buying a graphics card because it's more power hungry and thus "uses the PSU's capabilities well".

By that definition, then perhaps it's the HE-6? :)

Best comparison ever and sooo true!

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

audio technica  w1000x

03.jpg527686d8-1818-4425-80f7-50f575f1b1

this. if you have the money. and while your at it get me one too lol

Are you thinking about open or closed headphones?

Either one. Thanks.

Sorry, should have phrased it better. Some people mentioned in Linus' Objective2 video that the O2 is overkill for the ATH-M50 because of its low impedance.

Shure SRH-1540s! They do have a little added bass, but it's nothing substantial. they are amazing & super sexy  :)

Thanks for the suggestion! They do look great indeed. Definitely considering this :)

HD 700

looks very good in black :)

41XoulU95pL._SY300_.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion! Not quite a fan of the aesthetics but I heard good things about the HD700 so I might consider it :)

By that definition, then perhaps it's the HE-6? :)

Hi, looking at the Hifiman website, it says the HE-6 is only 50 ohms? Would it really benefit much from an amp? 

audio technica  w1000x

03.jpg527686d8-1818-4425-80f7-50f575f1b1

Thanks for your input. Any idea how this compares to the audio technica ATH-AD2000x?

Hi, looking at the Hifiman website, it says the HE-6 is only 50 ohms? Would it really benefit much from an amp? 

You know the highest line of Beyerdynamic's, the 600 ohms T1? HE-6 is multiple times harder to drive, compared to the T1. Lots of amps just gave out white flags when they see HE-6 in their vicinity.

You know the highest line of Beyerdynamic's, the 600 ohms T1? HE-6 is multiple times harder to drive, compared to the T1. Lots of amps just gave out white flags when they see HE-6 in their vicinity.

Would the Objective2 be able to drive the HE-6?

It depends.

You get the headphones you want knowing your amp can handle it. That's all there is to it. Once again, it's like you're deliberately buying a card because it's power hungry power and your PSU can handle it.

Who told you how hard a headphone is to drive is determined by the impedance?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

somehow that made me laugh... lel

you 'might' need something better, i think it can, but the reviews on the net says you even need speaker amps...

Thanks for your input. Any idea how this compares to the audio technica ATH-AD2000x?

AD2000x is more natural, if not THE most natural of any audio technica's

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

Who told you how hard a headphone is to drive is determined by the impedance?

Sound card producers? :D

Looking at nwavguy's blog, O2 should be able to push the HE 6, even if it's in its borderline. I wonder what'd happen if a SS amp is used constantly in its borderline capability. Shorter caps lifespan? Unit becomes hot?

Sound card producers? :D

Looking at nwavguy's blog, O2 should be able to push the HE 6, even if it's in its borderline. I wonder what'd happen if a SS amp is used constantly in its borderline capability. Shorter caps lifespan? Unit becomes hot?

I ran the numbers myself a while back. Even when an amp is more than enough to power a headphone (EG: O2 and HD800), people are gonna bitch and complain that something is "missing" and somehow O2 isn't enough due to some vague reason. With HE6 people's expectation bias will be kicked into full gear so... the thought of that is a little scary. Personally I wouldn't have any qualms running HE6 on O2 because I have no idea how people stand listening to music THAT loudly. Nwavguy's numbers are more 'better safe than sorry' but some would call his numbers way too safe to mean much in the real world. On the other hand, ODA would bring whatever peace of mind a person needs, so there's that.

I ran the numbers myself a while back. Even when an amp is more than enough to power a headphone (EG: O2 and HD800), people are gonna bitch and complain that something is "missing" and somehow O2 isn't enough due to some vague reason. With HE6 people's expectation bias will be kicked into full gear so... the thought of that is a little scary. Personally I wouldn't have any qualms running HE6 on O2 because I have no idea how people stand listening to music THAT loudly. Nwavguy's numbers are more 'better safe than sorry' but some would call his numbers way too safe to mean much in the real world. On the other hand, ODA would bring whatever peace of mind a person needs, so there's that.

It maybe what I guess earlier, that if it's constantly running at borderline (like 90% volume all the time), perhaps the internals would have shorter lifespan, thus people in the past advise against it. And about the 110dB standard, perhaps it's like what Lays said, it's only encountered on songs with high dynamic ranges.

@Dark_Wizzie

I just want to say that I read all the reviews you post at headfi.org  specially the Hifiman ones.   Those orthos are a doozie!!

I'd vote AD2000X also. It won't "take advantage of" your amp, but I think Wizzie is trying to convince you how silly that goal is, and I agree.